couple of questions about the Line 6 Flextone III XL and Pod XT Live?

Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
Hey guys, I'm looking at making a jump into modelling amps, and I have a few questions...

1) 
   a) Is the Flextone III XL actually any good? It's discontinued now (so wayyy obsolete in digital terms) but is it still a decent system?          (The XL version was the 212 combo of the Flextone III)
   b)  as above but about the POD XT live.

2) is there anything I should look for if I am buying these used? Any known signs of abuse?

3) Would it be possible for them to interface in any interesting or useful way? they both have MIDI In/out so could I control channels on the amp etc. or bypass the modelling of one of the units?   

eg. I have a great tone on the XT Live and I just want the Flextone  to reproduce that, without colouring the sound with it's own models. Or, I just want to use the XT as an effects unit for the Flextone, bypassing the XT's modelling.

Cheers! 
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9717
    edited February 2014
    Hertz,

I was a big fan of the Flextone III....

I actually think that these things are underrated. I now use a Carr Sportsman and Carr Slant, so you can see I've moved on a bit ! Nonethless, I did rehearse with one again recently and it did not shame itself. i preferred the 'cleaner' settings on the III.

I had an XL, which I think had an external XLR connection.... I also used mine with the large footswitch. Great second hand value.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    I had a flextone 3 xl for a few years, not a bad amp at all, as long as you take the time to learn how to dial it in! The trick was to chose a cab sim that worked at the volume you were playing at, it's a very open backed combo cab so some of the 4x12 sims that work at home volume just made the baffle rattle and didn't work as intended loud. Other than that, good amp!
  • i preferred the 'cleaner' settings on the III.

This and this ....

The trick was to chose a cab sim that worked at the volume you were playing at, it's a very open backed combo cab so some of the 4x12 sims that work at home volume just made the baffle rattle and didn't work as intended loud. 
    You could use the XT in a couple of ways. Just use the FX return on the amp and get all your sounds from XT like you said or just use the clean FX on the XT in the loop and midi up to change any amp models etc. Still prefer the XT Live to any of the other Pods.
  • My local had a flextone 2 in for a while, mega cheap, with the floorboard.  

I heard a guy playing through it, blues and classic rock, and it sounded pretty awesome!