Neck dive guitars you have owned ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Used a Firebird once (not mine). Appallingly neck heavy guitar.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    I don't mind a bit of neck dive on a light guitar.... a good strap is often enough to solve it.  Neck dive on a heavy guitar is a different beast.

strap button position helps SG's a bit.  I tend to hide one on an angle behind the top horn
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    cbilly22 said:

Eastwood Sidejack and a Brian May Red Special. Both wrecked my shoulder due to being so incredibly uncomfortable to play standing up. Went a long way to proving my argument that a perfectly balanced heavy guitar will cause far less discomfort that a badly balanced featherweight one. My Tokai LP being a prime example. Nearly 11lbs but vanishes on a strap.

My friend has various posture problems ( he is an amputee) but gigs with his 70s Les Paul which is the heaviest guitar I've ever picked up. It does, however, balance very well - just stays wherever you put it basically - so he is fine with it. The 'spare' is a PRS SE which is much, much lighter, sounds very similar ( fitted with the same P90s) but he has more problems with because it doesn't balance as well. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    I had an Itaila Maranello that neck dived like a hungry gannet.  Moved it on quite quickly. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    Epiphone EB0 bass
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I had a gibson midtown, good guitar for the money, but i couldnt get used to the neck dive. Dont know if theyre all the same, it played lovely sat down. 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    As a matter of interest is anyone able to recommend a particular strap or type of strap that sorts this? 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Is there any other way to solve neck dive? 

I’ve heard it can be a matter of moving the strap buttons around, but I dunno. 

I think Andertons did a recent video showcasing the ‘pointy ones’ by Chapman, the V and Explorer. Pretty sure Lee had the V on a strap to demonstrate neck dive, and there was none, but Im unsure about the explorer!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    Yamaha Attitude Plus bass guitar. (The single pickup, bottom-of-the-range model.) I always upgrade to a Gotoh 201B bridge - partly because it might improve sustain but, mainly, because this improves the balance when worn on a strap.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    I own a bass called "The Hooker"; well, I say I own it, but I don't know where it is since my parents left it behind when they moved house in Mansfield.

It was made by someone local and had a quite aggressive shape to it with a large pointy headstock and a fretless neck going its entire length, only interrpted by 4 holes for the pickup pole pieces to point through from the back.

You let go and the neck almost dragged you down with it!
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    SG standard.
  • skunkwerx said:

I think Andertons did a recent video showcasing the ‘pointy ones’ by Chapman, the V and Explorer. Pretty sure Lee had the V on a strap to demonstrate neck dive, and there was none, but Im unsure about the explorer!
  • skunkwerx said:

You can tell just by looking at the Chapman ghost guitar that the instant you let go off the neck that the headstock will bounce off the carpet
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    You can move the strap button on an SG - either behind the top horn or into the point of it (which isn't recommended as it can split the top. But I've seen it done). You can add weights to the body around the base strap button or to the strap around there.
    Or you can get a thicker heavier textured strap. Copperpeace straps are great for this. Gretsch make a thin leather strap which was pretty slip resistant. Levy (sp?) used to make a great wide strap with like a woolly underside which was ace. Basically avoid the Polypro type straps like Ernie Ball and DiMarzio, or the leather straps with no underside. Fender straps are excellent straps but the leather underside makes them slippery bitches.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    Epi SG, Vintage SG, Daisy Rock bass
  • I have a randy rhodes copy that I sorted by moving the strap button.  Result : guitar hangs nicely on the strap.  

Took about 5 minutes including dropping the screw about 4 times.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014

SG double neck, you basically have to keep your forearm on the body and apply a bit of pressure  to balance it while playing, otherwise it will just flip neck first to the floor. Bit of a mission when I first started playing it but kinda got the hang of it now

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28745
    skunkwerx said:

Explorers are usually ok for neck dive, but do have the "tip forward" thing a bit particularly when the strap button is at the heel. I assume the ones where it's on the top "horn" are better.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires