Advice needed on Telecaster nut dead strings

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
edited October 2017 in Guitar
When I bought my new American Tele earlier this year everything seemed to be set up just nice. Then, a few weeks later, the B string sounded dead when played unfretted. I narrowed the cause down to the nut. Tried sanding the groove to widen it a tad but that didn't help. Then I inserted a waffer-thin piece of paper in the nut groove under the string and this has helped by effectively raising the nut groove height and allowing the string to ring again (it's better but not perfect).

Then I changed the strings last week and also lowered the action a tad at the bridge on all strings. Then the darned D string went dead on me when unfrettted. Again, another waffer-thin piece of paper in the nut groove has improved the situation by effectively raising the nut groove height.

Is there a better fix than this? Will lowering the action at the bridge have caused my D string to deaden out? I realise that the nut groove heights are too low. Should I take it to a tech? I've seen people recommend a mix of bicarb and super glue to add to the groove. Sounds messy.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14743
    Define "dead". Are you losing vibrational sustain or just high frequencies?

Also, how old are the strings on the guitar? Have you changed from 010-048 to bigger/heavier gauges or down-tuned lower than standard EADGBE? 

Before you cut, file or replace anything, check the neck relief. The truss rod may need slacking off very slightly.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    Dead = muffled, choked, donk.

Not changed gauge, strings are now 4 weeks old.

Neck relief is not thing here. It's two strings in the nut unfretted. Fretted, they're OK.

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    edited October 2017
    Are you sure the string isn't hitting a high, or partially high, fret?
    Lowering the action could deaden a string if it's a nut issue, as the underside of the string could now be touching the lower edge of the nut where it contacts the neck, but unless you lowered it a lot, it's quite uncommon - you're more likely to be coming in contact with something further up the neck, like a high fret or a hump in the neck. How do the D and G strings sound at every fret?

Edit / could also be the nut slots are cut at an angle sloping downward and the string is hitting the bottom edge of the nut.
    edited October 2017
    It's the nut. These two strings are fine when fretted but not unfretted. Inserting a piece of paper under the string in the nut groove fixes the problem by raising the nut groove height. I'm just looking for a better way to do that.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    It sounds like you are pretty much certain that any issues are only found/noticed when playing an open string - hence the assumption that it is the nut - Working on that theory then you have 2 choices - one look at it yourself or two take it to the dealer you purchased it from and/or guitar tech - Could be that the nut is now to low and/or to wide in each slot, or indeed badly cut

Was it new when purchased ? - as you probably still have a warranty available to you, in particular based on a 2017 purchase date

It might be possible to get a new nut from Fender fitted - whilst such a new nut will be roughly cut correctly, under tech should be able to fine tune as required - dealer might not have the correct one in stock but can obtain it from Fender in a few days

It might be the tech/dealer repairs the issue with what is general acceptable as a valid repair with Superglue - you can look at this option yourself but you will need a dedicated fret file - effectively remove strings - place masking tape either side of the nut - pour superglue in the nut slot - only a touch required and sometimes I'll use an old top E string to rub over the glue and slot to ensure it is now seating low in the slot - Now leave for a day so it is rock hard - then re-cut accordingly with nut files - If you know what you are doing then this fine - If you don't then you might get lucky or end up frustrated, hence a visit to a tech/dealer

Nothing wrong with a Superglue repair and chances are the glue is harder than the nut material and done correctly you'll never see it
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I've seen a few where it's not the depth of the slot that's the issue, but the angle.  A bit of an angle is needed so the string has a definite contact point at the nut.

Not a DIY job unless you are confident in your abilities.  Setting to with a junior hacksaw blade will inevitably make matters worse. 
  • RogerRoger Frets: 20
    Either the nut slot is too deep, or it the slots are cut flat instead of angled towards the headstock leaving a nice knife edge for the string to sit on. Get it to a tech or if where you purchased it is local take it in and they should sort it if they're reputable
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    Check the groove heights by fretting each string at the third fret and see if there is a gap between the string and the first fret (with the paper removed). If there is, it's not a height problem but will be the shape or angle of the grooves. If there's no gap, it's a height problem.

If two slots need doing - and especially if any of the other strings are borderline - I would probably replace the nut rather than fix it, on a modern guitar where there is no issue with "originality". If it's under warranty the shop should do this for you.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Check the groove heights by fretting each string at the third fret and see if there is a gap between the string and the first fret (with the paper removed). If there is, it's not a height problem but will be the shape or angle of the grooves. If there's no gap, it's a height problem.

If two slots need doing - and especially if any of the other strings are borderline - I would probably replace the nut rather than fix it, on a modern guitar where there is no issue with "originality". If it's under warranty the shop should do this for you.
    There's quite a decent gap under the first fret when fretting at the third fret. I'll take it to a tech eventually, for now the thin slice of paper in the groove does the trick.
    tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    ICBM said:

There's quite a decent gap under the first fret when fretting at the third fret. I'll take it to a tech eventually, for now the thin slice of paper in the groove does the trick.
    to high gap is equally problematic and can cause tuning issues - almost zero tolerance on a well cut nut
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Is it a US Pro? The nut slots on mine weren't cut deep enough when I bought it. It played much better after a visit to a tech. Well, two techs but that's another story. 
    rico said:
    Is it a US Pro? The nut slots on mine weren't cut deep enough when I bought it. It played much better after a visit to a tech. Well, two techs but that's another story. 
    2016 US Standard.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I'd still get it off to a tech. They're magicians. 
    edited December 2017
    Right guys, I've done the old baking soda and superglue trick in two nut slots (D and B ) It's got rid of the problem but now the slots are too high. Can anyone recommend a nut file? There's some on ebay, but not sure what I need.
    tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    Right guys, I've done the old baking soda and superglue trick in two nut slots (D and B ) It's got rid of the problem but now the slots are too high. Can anyone recommend a nut file? There's some on ebay, but not sure what I need.
    not sure if you can buy just the 2 appropriate sizes - I have a 10pc set that covers around .10 to.56 - but if you can buy just 2 then you'l probably need .13 and .26

To check appropriate height - fret the string on the 3rd fret and you should effectively have close to zero height above the 1st fret - To high and it is wrong - To low and it will probably buzz on an open string - Cut the nut slot back at slight angle- so imagine it is going down hill from the fingerboard to the headstock
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for advice, @guitars4you . Wiz given.

In the end, I used an old D string and put that in the slot, rubbing back and forth.

Tell you what, baking soda and superglue is frickin' hard.

I've fixed the nut slots, and it's all fixed. Those two strings sound perfect now. Prior to doing this, the B string was muted and the D string sounded like a sitar. Now, they ring clear as a bell. I guess I got lucky. :-)
    tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    Thanks for advice, @guitars4you . Wiz given.

In the end, I used an old D string and put that in the slot, rubbing back and forth.

Tell you what, baking soda and superglue is frickin' hard.

I've fixed the nut slots, and it's all fixed. Those two strings sound perfect now. Prior to doing this, the B string was muted and the D string sounded like a sitar. Now, they wing clear. I guess I got lucky. :-)
    yes it is hard and probably harder than the nut itself, so should last for many many years - Using an old D string can work, but hard work but you'll still need a slim needle file around .13" gauge for the B string - sorry I said .10" before/above but should be  around .13 for a B string
    Thanks again @guitars4you !
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    You get a dead sound from some fluff  off your clothes or polishing cloth .Kills a string dead .