Can anyone recommend a guitar tutor in Bristol?

What's Hot
BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
As per title, thanks all. 

Looking to kick start my development and in search of a good teacher :) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14767
    tFB Trader
    Stuart Ryan is excellent - contributes to Guitar Techniques as well - https://www.stuartryanmusic.com/
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Thanks Mark will check it out!
    edited October 2017 tFB Trader
    BRISTOL86 said:
    he knows me - so if you track him down see hi for me - plus he is a good guy
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Used to demo for world guitars? Hell of a player
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    BRISTOL86 said:
    His website doesn't suggest he does one to one lessons, just Skype. And at £50 an hour I'm not sure he's in the same bracket as me to be honest! I'm guessing a lot of his students are much better players rather than 'begintermediates' as I class myself  =)
    tFB Trader
    BRISTOL86 said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    His website doesn't suggest he does one to one lessons, just Skype. And at £50 an hour I'm not sure he's in the same bracket as me to be honest! I'm guessing a lot of his students are much better players rather than 'begintermediates' as I class myself  =)
    I know he teaches/lectures at the Bristol Academy - not sure about 1 to 1's so sorry if a bad lead - Not sure if any one teaches via the Bristol Academy - maybe worth see if they have a notice board as such
    BRISTOL86 said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    I know he teaches/lectures at the Bristol Academy - not sure about 1 to 1's so sorry if a bad lead - Not sure if any one teaches via the Bristol Academy - maybe worth see if they have a notice board as such
    Don't be daft, I'm grateful for the recommendation :) 
    Bump - I’m still looking to find a teacher in Bristol to help me get to the next level. 

Any recommendations welcome. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    Theres a really good guy called Richard Hillyer, look him up.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    edited November 2017 tFB Trader
    www.richardhillyermusic.co.uk
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    You may be able to find a good member of the faculty at BIMM. Worth a shot. I used to work at BIMM in Brighton but I don't know who's on faculty in their Bristol department. 
    Thanks @ThorpyFX - do you know Richard yourself? I’ve certainly seen his name before....either way I’ve shot him a mail! 
    tFB Trader
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Thanks @ThorpyFX - do you know Richard yourself? I’ve certainly seen his name before....either way I’ve shot him a mail! 
    I do buddy, he's a top guy and a talented guitarist too. crucially though he is professional in the way he teaches and i appreciated that above all else as I'd had some terrible flakey teachers.
    ThorpyFX said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    I do buddy, he's a top guy and a talented guitarist too. crucially though he is professional in the way he teaches and i appreciated that above all else as I'd had some terrible flakey teachers.
    Same here, well I’ve only had one, but felt he didn’t at all listen to what I was feeding back about where I felt I needed to focus on etc. 

Have contacted about ten since then and they all seem similarly disinterested in you or what you want to get out of the endeavour. I suspect the vast majority are just trying to make easy money pedalling template lessons whilst putting in the absolute minimum effort. 

Not what I’m looking for in a teacher....unfortunately Richard said he has no capacity for new students but is wanting to pass me on to a new tutor they’ve taken on....I’ve just name dropped you so maybe he’ll find a space for me!!
    Great news @ThorpyFX - I mentioned to Richard that you’d recommended him and he’s kindly said he’ll shuffle things around to accommodate me, so should be starting lessons with him in the new year :)
  • Stuart Ryan is excellent - contributes to Guitar Techniques as well - https://www.stuartryanmusic.com/
    Yes I've had a couple of lessons from Stuart in the past. He's more for acoustic imo. Lovely calm guy and does do one to one lessons. Expensive though which is why I only had a couple ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Same here, well I’ve only had one, but felt he didn’t at all listen to what I was feeding back about where I felt I needed to focus on etc. 

Have contacted about ten since then and they all seem similarly disinterested in you or what you want to get out of the endeavour. I suspect the vast majority are just trying to make easy money pedalling template lessons whilst putting in the absolute minimum effort. 

Not what I’m looking for in a teacher....unfortunately Richard said he has no capacity for new students but is wanting to pass me on to a new tutor they’ve taken on....I’ve just name dropped you so maybe he’ll find a space for me!!
    Yep I agree with this. One tutor in bath years ago I used insisisted on writing out a solo I queried about in full for me. I could've got that online albeit it was around the beginnings of the internet. I just asked him how to play a solo like the one I suggested. He took it literally and I learnt nothing from the process. So yes getting a tutor who actually listens to your questions, desires or needs is crucial. Sorry I can't really suggest any tutors for you as I'm self taught really which would explain a lot :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/