100% Authentic.

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice Gibson Humbucker...... Not. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    Nice Gibson Humbucker...... Not. 

Indeed! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14750
    edited October 2017
    Nice Gibson Humbucker...... Not. 
    Two Gibson Skylark single coils, linked in series, could be seriously good fun.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Paging @WezV for a site visit! ;)

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    edited October 2017 tFB Trader
    Paging @WezV for a site visit!
    might actually be Wez in disguise trying to sell it !!!!!!!!!!!! - love the fact that only 1 pic for a £2500 sale - no headstock or ser no pics etc
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    It's my weekend name ;)

Might be interested in a visit, but clearly I wouldn't be paying that much
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Very Joan Jett - didn't she have an X2N in hers at some point?

I could be wrong but I don't think the double-cut Melody Maker came in until 1960 (or maybe '61) either.

Silly price, but I don't see any reason to think the *guitar* isn't an authentic Gibson.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    It's not a gibson, it's a Vintage. Says so and everything.
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Very Joan Jett - didn't she have an X2N in hers at some point?

I could be wrong but I don't think the double-cut Melody Maker came in until 1960 (or maybe '61) either.

Silly price, but I don't see any reason to think the *guitar* isn't an authentic Gibson.
     my initial thoughts about a circa 1959 were somewhat in question - hence wanting to see serial number info - but it appears they were first launched late 59 - but most we see for sale are 60/61 era

I agree that initial info from pics look authentic, albeit with changes - usual checks need to be made regarding pots, breaks, finish etc etc
    WezV said:

Might be interested in a visit

Go on then, Sherlock - get yer magnifying glass out! :)

MM's started in 59, but double cuts were 61 I think.  All sunburst until the mid 60's???

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    what always baffles me is that someone thinks they'll get serious enquiries at their 2.5k asking price by taking one ropey picture.
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    MM's started in 59, but double cuts were 61 I think.  All sunburst until the mid 60's???

correct - I forgot early versions were s/cut - I suppose changes linked in with the change from the LP to what we know now as an SG but was originally still a LP (albeit a new shaped DC) 
    I have messaged the seller some info on this model along with reverb price guides for a 59 and 63 version, and offered my help to accurately date the guitar and identify the changes.