Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Vintage style trem: how much abuse can they take?

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
edited October 2017 in Guitar
So I'm trying to think of other people than Jeff Beck who abuse a tradition style trem. I mean, can you dive bomb one of these things?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    I have seen Vini Reilly (Durutti Column) give it some tasteful abuse but I wouldn't call it dive-bombing. 

• peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    I would argue that Jeff Beck doesn't have a traditional system.

Isn't his a 2 point trem with roller nut and locking heads?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 691
    IIRC the first Van Halen album was done with the frankenstrat pre-Floyd Rose 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    edited October 2017
    Jetfire said:
     I mean, can you dive bomb one of these things?
    If set up right, you can get quite aggressive with a traditional six-screw trem  (6m23s) ...

https://youtu.be/O0Oyc6slYRc?t=6m23s

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14761
    Jetfire said:
    So I'm trying to think of other people than Jeff Beck who abuse a tradition style trem. I mean, can you dive bomb one of these things?
    Adrian Belew's work with Zappa, Talking Heads, his first stint with Bowie and the early phase of Discipline/King Crimson were all his abused 1962 Stratocaster. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Some of VH1 was a standard trem iirc
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Gary Moore used his a lot before he reinvented himself as a blues player. Hendrix too....
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited October 2017
    Double post!
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Bernie Torme worked vintage strats pretty hard.Watched him at a solo gig,only had two strats and he didn`t have to mess with them all night.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14768
    tFB Trader
    peteri said:
    I would argue that Jeff Beck doesn't have a traditional system.

Isn't his a 2 point trem with roller nut and locking heads?
    correct

If a vintage system is well set up then you should experience far less tuning stability with them - but how far you want to move from your E as your base note to a note above or below in many ways will determine how effective they are and what shortcomings you are prepared to tolerate - Light variation and shimmer effects and a vintage system is more than adequate - The likes of Hank Marvin utilise this type of setup with no issues and he plays the trem nearly every note - On the other hand the more abusive you wish to be the less effective they become  but as i stated earlier the better the set-up the better results you can achieve
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9827
    Jimi?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    If you lock-wrap the strings onto the posts and the nut is cut well, they're pretty good. A lot is down to the player though - you instinctively develop little tweaks and tugs to get it back into tune as you play, whereas if you approach it like a Floyd - where you can essentially just let go of the bar and it will come back perfectly in tune - you will probably have trouble.

You can hear this sort of technique on one of the well-known Deep Purple live recordings (I forget which, and there may be more than one) where after a bit of fairly heavy abuse you hear Blackmore give it a sharp pull upwards at the end and it comes back into tune.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    If you want a vintage looking system that stays solid then give a blade runner a go. My strat is pretty much impossible to put out of tune with the trem.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 618
    edited October 2017
    ICBM said:
    If you lock-wrap the strings onto the posts and the nut is cut well, they're pretty good. A lot is down to the player though - you instinctively develop little tweaks and tugs to get it back into tune as you play, whereas if you approach it like a Floyd - where you can essentially just let go of the bar and it will come back perfectly in tune - you will probably have trouble.

You can hear this sort of technique on one of the well-known Deep Purple live recordings (I forget which, and there may be more than one) where after a bit of fairly heavy abuse you hear Blackmore give it a sharp pull upwards at the end and it comes back into tune.

Agreed
    This is Blackmore abusing lightly by his standards.....he rarely had to change guitars or retune excessively.

He used to have large dia bar versions made and still bent them. Probably helps having a pukka tech looking after them too

• AlvinAlvin Frets: 417
    matone said:
    Bernie Torme worked vintage strats pretty hard.Watched him at a solo gig,only had two strats and he didn`t have to mess with them all night.
        I was about to mention him , saw him recently and the abuse he gave the vibrato was pretty severe , however he only used one guitar on that night , i don't think he even retuned (he must have a bit though?) . He also made a point of saying it was a guitar he built (threw together) himself and it hadn't gone out of tune.  He did seem impressed with it himself.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    bazxkr said:

He used to have large dia bar versions made and still bent them.
    It wouldn't surprise me if that was from pulling up hard against the body to get it into tune, rather than from pushing down.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2038
    If you're asking this question then you need an Original Floyd Rose.
    ICBM said:
    bazxkr said:

He used to have large dia bar versions made and still bent them.
    It wouldn't surprise me if that was from pulling up hard against the body to get it into tune, rather than from pushing down.

You may be right, might also be the jumping up and down on it that he did LOL Feet & guitars not good bedfellows haha
    Alvin said:
    matone said:
        I was about to mention him , saw him recently and the abuse he gave the vibrato was pretty severe , however he only used one guitar on that night , i don't think he even retuned (he must have a bit though?) . He also made a point of saying it was a guitar he built (threw together) himself and it hadn't gone out of tune.  He did seem impressed with it himself.

Saw Bernie a few times with the Gillan band, great player and very heavy on the bar & like you say never saw him change guitar all night
    So is that the expected outcome......Fender vintage trem will take far more abuse than the 2 pin version ?