Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Today a tried a prs for the 1st time...... oh my word !!! More prs info needed !

What's Hot
im looking to buy a gigging guitar so I can leave my les Paul custom at home .
I've never tried a prs , but one of the guys I'm friendly with in the guitar shop suggested prs .

i tried the startup USA models , the s2 single cut and double cut .

oh my word ! I have to say I prefer the single cut body style and format , but the doubt cut just blew me away . Slimmer and more playable neck than the dbl, so heed fantastic , nice lively and punchy , but loads of dynamics and detail for people like me that like to drive using picking volume .
i beg it would have sounded even better through a nicer amp , it was a blackstar studio 20.
Felt great quality , played great , sounded great !
the only this is that volume pot felt like it might get in the way .
if the single cut had the same neck I'd be sold on it .

but , I'm totally blown way by these 2 guitars , and they're not Gibson ! 

I'm gonna give  prs some serious thought . Anyone switched from Gibson to prs ?
anyone suggest other models I could try ?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yeah pretty much only use my Les Paul for recording now. Otherwise I use my CU22, it’s just so comfy and I like the tone.

Which neck profile was it you liked? If you liked the thinner one and want the Single Cut shape look for a Tremonti.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • my 6th has just turned up today, love em!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    DGT is probably THE best all-round tool
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    For me I like the PRS CE but then I'm more of a Fender player, though I do own Gibson's. In terms of a more Gibson like guitar try the Mira - great guitars and even better if you can find an original one...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23616
    oh my word ! I have to say I prefer the single cut body style and format , but the doubt cut just blew me away . Slimmer and more playable neck than the dbl,

if the single cut had the same neck I'd be sold on it .
    In theory, all the S2 guitars have the same neck shape - Pattern Regular - but maybe there are individual variations, so it might be worth trying a few more.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2385
    Dominic said:
    DGT is probably THE best all-round tool
    What he said :) - Go try a DGT!
  • KiniooKinioo Frets: 19
    edited October 2017
    Funny enough, I recently did quite opposite:
    I have been playing PRS (cheaper Korean version SE) for some years now (its a single cut Tremonti model)...however I have always been a big fan of solid / classic sound created by Marshall + Gibson Les Paul...but couldnt afford Les Paul so have never ever bothered to try one.
    I went to my LGS over the weekend to look at some pedals and they had a good selection of Gibson LP's in stock, so I tried few....Man I couldn't stand the fretboard !! Felt so uncomfortable and massive !!.
    I know it is probably due to not being familiar with Gibson's fretboards...but...boy.
    I tried also high-end PRS they had in stock -  and instantly I felt like home - love it !!

Good luck and let us know !

Chris
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    If you like an LP custom, but want something better built that plays better, you could do a lot worse then check out @Fiftyshadesofjay ; s ESP Eclipse in the classifieds, it's an absolute steal
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14767
    tFB Trader
    as an overview there are few bad PRS Guitars out there - be it the S2 budget USA models or the more expensive 'core' USA models - In many ways the biggest competitor for the S2 models are used 'core' models

The finer nuances of say a 22 or 24 are a matter of opinion and taste - if you want a more traditional non trem model then effectively it will be a Singlecut or a stop tail Custom 22 - IMO a DGT is the one stop does most things classic based PRS - More hi-gain rockers often prefer a 24 fret model, but that is not written in stone

Again, for me, I just find a PRS more slick and easier to handle compared to a LP
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    I've had a fair few PRS's over the years, 10 iirc and I just seem to come back to them, great all round guitar, although I have never been fond of the HFS pickups but thats an easy fix. You won't regret getting one though I'd go s/h if I were you, the depreciation is scary 
  • KiniooKinioo Frets: 19
    John_A said:
    If you like an LP custom, but want something better built that plays better, you could do a lot worse then check out @Fiftyshadesofjay ; s ESP Eclipse in the classifieds, it's an absolute steal
    I was thinking about this guitar - ESP...but it looks like Gibson LP the fretboard....does it feel the same ???

Chris
  • I only buy used cores now, id rather let someone else lose 1K+ on a new guitar. i've never played a bad one and the consistancy is awesome every time. Its the only brand i would buy unseen and know 100% that its going to be good. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6831

Buy this, it has a 57 shaped neck with truly glorious sounding PAF style pickups.... What's not to like? 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/114938/for-sale-prs-sc245-1957-2008#latest
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2450
    Love/Hate for them with me. Really don't like the wide fat or wide thin necks and the regular profile isn't so common these days. Pickups aren't great either in the old HFS/VB config....liked the DGT pickups but not the guitars neck. So never really found my ideal one. 
    They are a bargain, don't bother with the S2's/SE's. This mint '97 Custom sold for £1050 last month on ebay with only one bidder. Its currently for sale with a hopeful ebay price flipper but it gives you an idea of what you get for such little money. Also saw a 2014 sell for £1450 last week in clean condition with birds. 
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRS-Custom-24-With-Paperwork-Case-HFS-Vintage-Bass-Pick-97-Cherry-Sunburst-/202072453368?hash=item2f0c74f0f8:g:3bIAAOSwIC1Z1A~S

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Owned to Gibson because a lot of my favorite players used them. Not had another since my first PRS and I have a fairly multi brand collection.
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited October 2017

I switched to PRS from Gibson a few years back and haven't looked back. I've not come across a bad one yet and anything else just feels cheap and nasty by comparison.

A McCarty is a good starting point as is a Mira if you prefer the Gibson end of PRS. The DGT takes the McCarty to another level. Search for a used PRS for maximum bang for buck, There are a few bargains knocking about on here at the moment........

EDIT: Coda have a nice early Used Core Mira with case for £699..........

• I'm confused about the different variations - 

i liked the neck on the s2 standard 22 double cutaway better than the neck on the single cutaway .

the single cuts neck was a little chubby for me .

which ones should I look at ? I'm not looking for a traditional blues rock guitar , I'm gonna be playing punk and thrash on it too !
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Kinioo said:
    John_A said:
    I was thinking about this guitar - ESP...but it looks like Gibson LP the fretboard....does it feel the same ???

Chris
    They are a bit thinner and therefore tend to be around the 8lb mark, the Fretboard is ebony
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited October 2017

I switched to PRS from Gibson a few years back and haven't looked back. I've not come across a bad one yet and anything else just feels cheap and nasty by comparison.

A McCarty is a good starting point as is a Mira if you prefer the Gibson end of PRS. The DGT takes the McCarty to another level. Search for a used PRS for maximum bang for buck, There are a few bargains knocking about on here at the moment........

EDIT: Coda have a nice early Used Core Mira with case for £699..........

Actually I'm not sure what the double cut I played was ...... looked like a Mira but it has a trem.
  • Guitars are like sweets; You don't have to stick to just one kind - You HAVE to eat lick try them all!
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.