Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Today a tried a prs for the 1st time...... oh my word !!! More prs info needed !

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23575
    grungebob said:
    I might be mis remembering but PRS don’t change the bridge position for the 24 fret guitars they make the necks a tad longer, maybe this is what’s throwing you off on the neck dimension?

On the 22 fret models the neck joins the body around the 21st fret, on the 24 fret models it's around the 23rd.  Of course the scale length doesn't change so the bridge on the 24 fret guitars moves a bit "higher" up the body, closer to the neck pickup.

So yes, you have more of the neck free of the body on the 24-fretters, and the overall length of the guitar from top to tail is slightly greater.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3376
    Philly_Q said:
    grungebob said:
    I might be mis remembering but PRS don’t change the bridge position for the 24 fret guitars they make the necks a tad longer, maybe this is what’s throwing you off on the neck dimension?

On the 22 fret models the neck joins the body around the 21st fret, on the 24 fret models it's around the 23rd.  Of course the scale length doesn't change so the bridge on the 24 fret guitars moves a bit "higher" up the body, closer to the neck pickup.

So yes, you have more of the neck free of the body on the 24-fretters, and the overall length of the guitar from top to tail is slightly greater.

Thanks, good to know my memory is shit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That green one is stunning.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    That green one is stunning.
    and what is wrong with the other 3
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2099
    I have the PRS 513 which is a great guitar, though it took some getting into, I also just got a Les Paul Axcess, which is also really good, but for all round pick up and play I would use the PRS.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    They are great guitars. I gigged a Custom 24 Floyd in my last band.

The only issue I had was they were not great guitars to gig in small busy crowded venues. Because of their value. I almost had a headstock ripped off when I played the St Moritz in Soho. I wouldn't t have to have perhaps worried if it was my Strat or Tele.

Value concerns aside. They are great guitars. 
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1052
    edited October 2017
    I've got a 594 - it's the only one I get on with it terms of controls - a rotary switch to change pickups - WTF

The 594 is a great guitar - slightly fatter neck, switch where I expect it, 2 volume controls - job done!

I do want to try the soapbar pickup on now though.

I've got a 594 - it's the only one I get on with it terms of controls - a rotary switch to change pickups - WTF

The 594 is a great guitar - slightly fatter neck, switch where I expect it, 2 volume controls - job done!

I do want to try the soapbar pickup on now though.

I do like the look of the 594, and the bigger neck certainly appeals (the "wide fat" was never really very fat!). 

A bit pricey though, and most of them are too blingy for me.  Maybe if I could find a used one with a goldtop, or plain black or something...

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    My Mira... Never thought i would love playing a PRS!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    DaevidJ said:
    My Mira... Never thought i would love playing a PRS!

Love this one so much!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  - they did a few nice cool colours on the Mira - almost pastel surf colours
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    Mooster said:

As for the pickups, the S2 standard 24 has HFS/VB, and the S2 Singlecut Standard has #7. PRS is very coy around the specifications of their pickups, so I'd just go with what you like the sound of.

The HFS is ceramic magnet - that's something they make no secret of.  It's also hot - around 15kOhms DC resistance I think.

The #7s are Alnico magnets and closer to the classic PAF range in terms of output.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    any PRS will have same effect! So just choose by colour, budget and the amount of Frilly-Knickeredness you can stand...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    They are great guitars. I gigged a Custom 24 Floyd in my last band.

The only issue I had was they were not great guitars to gig in small busy crowded venues. Because of their value. I almost had a headstock ripped off when I played the St Moritz in Soho. I wouldn't t have to have perhaps worried if it was my Strat or Tele.

Value concerns aside. They are great guitars. 
    Reason why I got rid of all the fancy and minty 10 tops and got myself a beat up sc245 in solid black. A proper gigging guitar and it plays phenomenal.
    It's also worth nothing cuz I've lost the hang tag :D
    KrisGee said:
    It's also worth nothing cuz I've lost the hang tag :D
    Less than nothing.  If you sell it you'll have to pay them to take it off your hands.
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited October 2017
    So You've got the S2 standard, singlecut, vela, mira.

What are the differences??!!
  • I've always had a love-hate relationship with my PRS Custom 24, until recent months. I put some familiar pickups in there and lowered them to get rid of the mush and now it sounds tight and defined and absolutely screams - it's my favourite guitar to pickup now and has become my workhorse! My issue with the new Custom 24s is the 85/15 pickup, people love them, but I think they're too vintage voiced for my tastes , to my mind, growing up with the awful Nu-metal scene, PRS have always meant to sound modern to me.

That said, I played a 594 the other day and wow, what a guitar!

Would be happy to call PRS my go to guitar of choice, I love them.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    edited October 2017
    Stock pickups is a non issue imo, there's so many good alternatives now that its not something I ever think about when buying a guitar! 

Thanks for giving me PRS gas again with this thread! I love their plainer guitars and would really like one. They're just well made decent guitars that unfortunately due to the amount of rank gaudy finishes available, have a bad image in people's heads.

That blue Mira is lovely! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    Stock pickups is a non issue imo, there's so many good alternatives now that its not something I ever think about when buying a guitar! 
    Point taken, but it's a big spend to not be 100% what you're after.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1509
    edited October 2017
    I bought my first one used in the 90's, a standard with brazilian rosewood and birds and the T&B pickups.  The 5 way is what put me off them though.   I spoke to Mr Smith at NAMM in 94 or 95 to ask about a custom with a blade switch and he told me that he would never put a blade switch on one of his guitars as the wood is too weak under it (seems he changed his mind over the years).  I then got a black early 90's EG4 and a bit later an Artist II.  They are all great guitars to play, but I was never happy with the pickup sound (I tried Dragons in them too).   In the end I put Bare Knuckle pickups in them and they sound great.  Since then, I picked up a 2001 Singlecut and a 25th anniversary ME II that was fettled in the PRS custom shop, to add signature switching and refinished in Eriza Verde.  Needless to say both of these have had pickup changes too. 

They are great guitars to play, but I find the original pickups very soulless.