Les Paul classic pickups suggestion. Currently muddy

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• markjmarkj Frets: 923
    edited October 2017
    My experience with my les Paul I used to have, pots and cap swap before you change the pups. Gibson use shit quality items, honestly!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1116
    Definitely do the wiring upgrades. And then +1 on OX4s. My Tokai LS50 has them and they are fantastic
  • I've already swapped pots and caps so I'll try the 50's wiring next and then the aluminium tail piece 
  • Before throwing money at buying pickups I would check/swap

Pots to 500k if they have 300k ones in there
    Tone control to 50s wiring

Also I can recommend
    Fit earvana nut - guitar will get more zingy as well as being much more in tune.
    swap zinc tailpiece to aluminium one

The ceramic p/ups on the Classic should be pretty bright so I would look to these other things first , otherwise you may find that new pickups also lack top end sparkle too.

Afyer that you can experiment with pickup choices.
    I had this done to my les Paul studio back in 2013. It did make a difference. 

I still put a Bareknuckle in the bridge though, eventually swapped it out for a different one (still a bkp) and had the tone pot disconnected. Plays like a dream now.
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 317
    Try the Blues Engine neck in the bridge - low output alnico 4 should sort you right out 
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4292
    edited October 2017
    Ok guys I've swapped the wiring to 50's as recommended and it's made a huge difference

Also sounds so much better when rolling the volume back as retaining the treble. Sounds so good I may swap my other les Paul's to 50's wiring too 

Now that it's removed the 'blanket' so to speak I can really hear the pickups better and now il thinking I will swap those too
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    It's probably worth mentioning again for the sake of avoiding confusion, for those people who don't use the controls - 50s wiring makes no difference to the tone when the volume control is on 10, only when you roll it down.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom