Total Guitar

What's Hot
FloofFloof Frets: 17
I didn't read it back in the day - it was too full of sexline phone line ads and content aimed at people with the attention span o...

But for some reason I picked a copy up in WHSmiths the other day - what a change - the whole thing was quality - nice one
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27932
    I did read it back in the day, but not for the sexline phone line ads, honest.

I still look at it occasionally, mainly because it's free via Readly, and I didn't think it had changed that much?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • FloofFloof Frets: 17
    I have a Really subscription but regularly forget about it - not fired it up in about 3 months lol

I shall do so now

You'll find a good number of back issues on Readly too.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1872
    I have about 100 back issues. (Sciatica being one of them). I still use them, grabbing one at random from time to time and trying the play as much as possible. Always meant to, but never could be arsed to use the CDs.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    I liked the "greatest riffs" features in the early ones (mid 90s?) - The Lenny Kravitz and Zep ones were very welcome at Mudslide Towers back in the day.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    what was with the constant inclusion of those guys from the band Dragon?? That and only every interested in a guitar or amp if it did metal well...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

How does the sound clips, backing tracks etc work with mags like TG?  I currently have it delivered.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I bought the first 100 issues of GT and still have pretty much all of them including the CDs.  Then as documented elsewhere, kids and lifestyle break occurred, but I now regularly check it out and buy it now and then.  It generally has some good stuff at various levels and hardware reviews too -- hence the name of the mag I guess.
    I apply the same process to Guitar Techniques.  Back in the day I bought it pretty regularly and now check it out every month to see if there is anything I like.
  • I bought a few copies back in the 90’s and early 2000’s whilst still learning to play. I had no clue what anything meant in the magazines with tab (esp reading rhythms) gear (pickups, strings) and tone (amp, we settings etc). I learnt my trade at ACM in 2007 to 2011 and now I teach guitar. I am now a subscriber and regularly use some of the material in there for my own lessons. The audio tracks are very helpful to motivate and help them practice so they remember what it’s meant to sound like.

Also if you get the magazine copy an accompanying cd with the audio is included.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12336
    @TTony - Readly looks great I'm thinking of getting it - what's your review?
    @darthed1981 ;

My review is that it's a no-brainer
    ;)

For whatever daft amount it is each month, you get access to hundreds of mags.  OK, so sewing monthly and worcester weddings might not be your thing, but the range covers just about every hobby there is, plus more important things like music.  I generally read Q, Mojo, Classic Rock, Guitarist, Total Guitar, Guitar Techniques, Autocar, Top Gear, Net, Computer Music, PC Magazine, iCreate and Mac Format each month.  OK, some of those I just skim.

But it gets better.  With the subscription, you get a number of user accounts, so you can share your subscription with family/friends and they can read all the stuff that interests them.  All the accounts are separate, so you don't have to plough through a load of stuff that you're not interested in just because your SO/sister/uncle/whoever wanted to read something.

Mags are all presented well, and the app seems to be pretty solid.  Don't get it if you've got a 1Mbps internet connection or a strict monthly data cap.  But otherwise ... why are you still just "thinking" of getting it.

(Yup, I quite like it).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    @darthed1981 ;

My review is that it's a no-brainer
    ;)

For whatever daft amount it is each month, you get access to hundreds of mags.  OK, so sewing monthly and worcester weddings might not be your thing, but the range covers just about every hobby there is, plus more important things like music.  I generally read Q, Mojo, Classic Rock, Guitarist, Total Guitar, Guitar Techniques, Autocar, Top Gear, Net, Computer Music, PC Magazine, iCreate and Mac Format each month.  OK, some of those I just skim.

But it gets better.  With the subscription, you get a number of user accounts, so you can share your subscription with family/friends and they can read all the stuff that interests them.  All the accounts are separate, so you don't have to plough through a load of stuff that you're not interested in just because your SO/sister/uncle/whoever wanted to read something.

Mags are all presented well, and the app seems to be pretty solid.  Don't get it if you've got a 1Mbps internet connection or a strict monthly data cap.  But otherwise ... why are you still just "thinking" of getting it.

(Yup, I quite like it).
    Thanks, I'll call that "glowingly positive" :)
    Found an offer three months for £7.99 so giving Readly a try :)
  • Found an offer three months for £7.99 so giving Readly a try :)
    Share the love mate! Where's that? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I buy it every month.

Some months are better than others, but generally I think it is a quality publication that deals more towards the Yoof, something which I can no longer claim to be part of, but still maintain the beginner status in regards to ability.

As with every magazine in every hobby there is a certain amount of repeatability, but that's not exactly their fault is it?

Found an offer three months for £7.99 so giving Readly a try :)
    I do apologise @Legionreturns

https://gb.readly.com/fb3f1?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=3f1-ret-generic-carousel

Sadly there is not currently a "Mary Spender Monthly" magazine ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Found an offer three months for £7.99 so giving Readly a try :)
    I do apologise @Legionreturns

https://gb.readly.com/fb3f1?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=3f1-ret-generic-carousel

Sadly there is not currently a "Mary Spender Monthly" magazine ;)
    That's because you haven't started it up as Editor/Stalker in chief yet! 

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited October 2017
    Was just looking through and I found this one though... Might be helpful in your Mary related enterprises @darthed1981 ;;

Was just looking through and I found this one though... Might be helpful in your Mary related enterprises @darthed1981 ;;

Apparently you can now group your twitter followers into groups, like "new followers because of that Leo video", "people who saw me on tour", "Andertons TV fans" and so on...

For some reason I'm in "potentially dangerous"...
  • That's just because she's only seen your potential so far... Clearly hasn't traced the network of web cams around her house back to you yet