Is this a neck crack I should be concerned about?

What's Hot
humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
Hi all - is this crack in the neck of this white SG Standard (2013) anything to be concerned about? There's a similar one on the other side of the neck. It's near the base of the neck - you can see the horn in that pic.

Grateful for any advice - not sure if lacquer or a more structural issue.

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    May be a fingerboard delamination- have you been bending the neck at all?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    I've only just bought it mate. From RichTone second hand - described as 'superb' condition with 'very minor' dings and scratches - certainly no mention of two long cracks in the neck.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    @ICBM ; ??

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Is it a Gibson? That looks like a crack in the nitro, possibly from neck bending as mentioned above.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I think this is one of those jobs where you ask yourself if you're happy that you got what you expected to get when you parted with the money. It doesn't sound like it, so I'd take it back and ask for a refund, even if it's not structural.

Andy
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    edited November 2017
    Ahh the Gibson Nitro Finish. Iv seen loads of Gibsons with this along the neck. Its just the Nitro finish cracking. Nowt to worry about. One of my other SG's has the same ;-).
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16959
    I suspect its absolutely nothing structural and just a finish issue
  • HHwarner said:
    Iv seen loads of Gibsons with this along the neck. Its just the Nitro finish cracking. Nowt to worry about. One of my SG's has the same ;-)

^This.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    Yes, agreed - definitely just a lacquer crack, not a neck crack or the fingerboard coming off. It's most likely caused by the binding moving - or really, the wood relative to it since binding is plastic and immune to humidity changes as the neck shrinks or swells.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited November 2017
    Cheers all.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    ICBM said:
    Yes, agreed - definitely just a lacquer crack, not a neck crack or the fingerboard coming off. It's most likely caused by the binding moving - or really, the wood relative to it since binding is plastic and immune to humidity changes as the neck shrinks or swells.
    WHS.

However... if Richtone described it as " 'superb' condition with 'very minor' dings and scratches" then I think I'd be going back to them to see what they can do for you. I take it you want to keep it, so perhaps coming to a financial arrangement that would be fair to both parties would be a good idea? Cracks in the finish should have been disclosed prior to sale and its not as described...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2038
    I haven't heard anything good about Richtone...Just saying.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Its funny, about 9 years ago I bought an apparantly new Kh-202 from Richtone.. 

It arrived with the wrong trem bar, the pickup wire fouling the pickup in the bridge cavity so it was closer to the strings toward the bridge than the neck, and a couple of neck pocket laquer cracks.. 

Fast forward 8 years and both pups just died on me.. had a tech check it and to my surprise the wiring was ok, just 2 non responsive pickups.

I presumed I got a one off bad guitar, but all I hear these days is problems from Richtone. A lot of second hand goods not being honestly described.. 

I can’t say I’d ever risk buying from them again. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    ICBM said:
    ABS actually isn't immune to moisture. It's what's called hygroscopic. It will absorb moisture and move relative to the wood which also moves. The crack isn't anything that I havn't seen on many of my own guitars over the eons.... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers all, to update Richtone is picking it up tomorrow for a full refund. They're claiming it must have happened in transit as they fully inspected it before sale - who knows. 
  • mortmort Frets: 720
    You've done the right thing in sending it back.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    humbucko said:
    Cheers all, to update Richtone is picking it up tomorrow for a full refund. They're claiming it must have happened in transit as they fully inspected it before sale - who knows. 
    Possible if it sat in a cold courier van for a long time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Full refund from Richtone... let's see if they mention the cracks when they put it back up for sale  ;)
  • buy it back cheap  :3
    So this is pretty funny. Richtone has relisted the guitar, mentioning the cracks, but haven't taken a penny off of the price.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/272960658776
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom