Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bent steel Strat saddles are rubbish

What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
i think they are the weak point of the Strat design. It’s the shit saddle height adjustment screws, I’ve owned about 20 strats and always have to change them out, they’re just no good for palm muting or heavy rhythm work.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74473
    You mean because they stick up above the saddle tops?

Easy to fix - either shim the neck slightly so the action is correct with them flush with the saddle tops, or carefully measure how much each one sticks up and file the same amount off the bottom.

Do *not* do what a friend of mine did and file the tops down. Later he wanted to adjust the action slightly… oops :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited November 2017
    They happen to sound good, though....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    ICBM said:
    You mean because they stick up above the saddle tops?

Easy to fix - either shim the neck slightly so the action is correct with them flush with the saddle tops, or carefully measure how much each one sticks up and file the same amount off the bottom.

Do *not* do what a friend of mine did and file the tops down. Later he wanted to adjust the action slightly… oops :).
    Sod that! Graphtechs are going on my latest Strat! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    They're the only saddles that look good, and that's all that matters.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    timmysoft said:

Fair enough. I think they sound poor though.

If you want a proper Strat that doesn't have this problem, the older USA Standard, Plus, Deluxe etc with the flat stainless steel block saddles are good. They also have overall bridge height adjustment via the two pivot posts and an adjustable neck tilt, so it's always possible to set them up so the height screws are hidden.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    timmysoft said:

If you want a proper Strat that doesn't have this problem, the older USA Standard, Plus, Deluxe etc with the flat stainless steel block saddles are good. They also have overall bridge height adjustment via the two pivot posts and an adjustable neck tilt, so it's always possible to set them up so the height screws are hidden.
    I prefer the sound of them, they are slightly darker but in a good, musical way. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    timmysoft said:

Yes I didn’t like graphtecs and I returned my Callaham bent saddle and heavy block to the stock block style saddle and regular weight block... totally preferred stock on my instrument. Callaham parts made it too edgy sounding to me.

On my partscaster I’ve got a six screw Wilkinson bridge with block saddles, it feels great. Wasn’t expensive.

My impression is bent steel saddles comparatively more attack and extra brightness, and are not as comfortable for palm muted playing styles. I prefer the supposedly inferior block saddle.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    The Stratocaster is as close to a perfect design as you can get. Only surpassed by the Telecaster.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5213
    You can buy low profile screws from allparts I think. My mate does this on all his strat bridges.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Boromedic said:
    You can buy low profile screws from allparts I think. My mate does this on all his strat bridges.
    This. I got a couple of packs of short & medium lengths so I can always find the right height screws. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    Seriously a Strat without bent steel saddles is wrong in so many ways, it’s part of what defines the Strat feel and sound. The next thing you’d suggest is fitting a Tunamatic to a Rickenbacker
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never struggled to palm mute on bent saddles before personally. Is it just the screws sticking up that makes it difficult?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I've never struggled to palm mute on bent saddles before personally. Is it just the screws sticking up that makes it difficult?
    Yeah, I’m running 11’s and the action isn’t even that low, but there’s a ton of screw hanging out of the top! 

Horrific.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17494
    I imagine there is no shim in the neck pocket either for them to be that low.   A small strip of card will improve matters no end.
  • That needs a shim in a big way...

Should look like this is the neck/body/bridge geometry is right:

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    timmysoft said:

Horrific.
    No wonder you are moaning.

Is that the Vlad the Impaler model? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sweepy said:
    Seriously a Strat without bent steel saddles is wrong in so many ways, it’s part of what defines the Strat feel and sound. 
    This is another "it's not a Tele unless it has a three-saddle bridge" thing...

I've owned two USA Std Strats and played dozens more - they sound like Strats. The bridge does feel different, certainly - for quite a lot of players that's clearly a positive thing. I'm not massively keen on the 'warble' they have compared to a 6-screw bridge, but you can help that a lot by using stiffer springs, the stock ones are quite soft.

The Graphtec saddles change the sound more in my opinion, they take away the 'bite' in the tone. Some people like that as well though.

That needs a shim in a big way...

Should look like this is the neck/body/bridge geometry is right:

The action and intonation is fine so I’d rather not add a shim when I don’t think it really needs it.