What's the opinion on the Vintage V100?

What's Hot
WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
Definitely been asked before but I can't be arsed to spend ages searching but, what's the opinion on the Vintage V100?

Is it solid, laminated, mahogany, pallet wood etc?

What does it compare to? Are the older ones better?

They seem to very cheap so what's the catch? Am I about to be schooled in 'you get what you pay for'? 

Post photos to get me excited....I am thinking of getting one as I've never owned one (plenty of expensive originals, Tokai's and Jap copies etc).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    They're cheap because Chinese labour is much cheaper than American labour. The hardware will be lower spec too (although perfectly usable) but that can be upgraded over time if you so wish. I've never read anything other than good about them.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • I've had four in the last few years, one of which I still have. I can't really fault them for the money, in fairness. I'm talking about the ones from the last 9 or 10 years with the Wilkinson hardware/electronics etc.

I'm not sure if they're mahogany or mahogany/maple (maybe the JHS website can help with specs), but to me they feel solid with a reassuring weight, the hardware is good (Wilkinson Kluson style tuners etc) and they play/sound great.

I only have two small criticisms:

1 - When you roll back the volume, the treble disappears with it and you lose clarity the lower you go - I don't know if this is the way a 50s LP would sound in similar circumstances and if the wiring on the V100 is a nod to that?

2. Because of the way the tuners stick out slightly from the headstock, certain hard cases may be too tight a fit at the headstock end.

I've had a few Epi LPs in recent years, and of those, the earlier Korean ones were the best. I can confidently say that every V100 I've had has been up there with those Korean Epis.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I've had 2 v100s and 2 Epis, one Chinese and one Korean. I would second that their quality is comparable with the Epis, if not slightly better. With the Chinese Epi I had, its stoptail posts were pulling out of the wood from the string tension. Both the v100s have been solid.

The only reason I don't have any of them now is that I just cannot get on with the LP neck join!
  • I like em too. I think they're possibly the best of the cheaper off-brand LPs. The Wilkinson hardware is generally a cut above what's found in budget guitars. 
    Look out for one of the old ones (Wilkinson hardware & a "Normal" neck join). I had a Lemon Drop model & it was excellent... But heavy! 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Not played their LP alikes....but I know from a student I used to teach that their SG copies are pretty nice for their price! I was impressed...and at the time owned an SG Standard, so if their LP copies continue in that trait.....
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1702
    I regularly gig with a V100 Lemon Drop that I converted to resemble George Harrison's 'Lucy' Les Paul.

Having had all the finish off it, I can confirm it was figured maple laminate (which I sanded off!) over maple top over mahogany.

Although I also stripped another Lemon Drop and that had maple laminate over mahogany top over mahogany - so not entirely consistent.

My Lucy is heavy, but sounds good, plays well and stays in tune. I 50s wired it and upgraded the pots and caps, and I don't notice much treble loss when turned down.

I always intended to change the pickups, but actually the Wilkinson PAFs sound very good.

• I've got a V100AFD and its a pretty decent guitar. Stock pickups and electronics aren't to my taste, it muddied up when you rolled back the volume which isn't what I wanted but its a well made and pretty guitar and now I've swapped out the electronics I'm happy. The tuners rattle which is annoying buts its just the plastic tulip heads that get loose. Its every bit as good as any epiphone i've played and I've gigged it a fair bit and been happy enough, but its a backup guitar now

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    The tuners rattle which is annoying buts its just the plastic tulip heads that get loose. Its every bit as good as any epiphone i've played and I've gigged it a fair bit and been happy enough, but its a backup guitar now
    All you need to do is put a drop of superglue into where the tuner shaft goes into the plastic tulip head and the rattle will be gone!
  • I've got a V100AFD and its a pretty decent guitar. Stock pickups and electronics aren't to my taste, it muddied up when you rolled back the volume which isn't what I wanted but its a well made and pretty guitar and now I've swapped out the electronics I'm happy. The tuners rattle which is annoying buts its just the plastic tulip heads that get loose. Its every bit as good as any epiphone i've played and I've gigged it a fair bit and been happy enough, but its a backup guitar now
    Did you find the issue with the muddiness/volume roll off disappeared when you changed the pickups, or did you go changing caps/pots/wiring as well?
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    edited November 2017

They're made in Vietnam (I asked JHS ages ago).

Of the range, only the Lemon Drop and AFD have a maple cap - all others are a carved top to the mahogany (alike) with a maple veneer if they're not painted. The Lemon Drop has a plain maple cap with a tiger stripe veneer, and I believe the AFD is tiger stripe maple.

The hardware is fine for the most part. The toggle switch on my Lemon Drop Reissue (non-relic version) packed in pretty quickly and I replaced it with something better. One of the plastic tulips occasionally rattles, but not enough for me to get the superglue out.

The muddiness when dropping the volume is due to the wiring - convert to 50s wiring and it's sorted. I also changed the caps - I think the originals were too high a value (0.068, I think).The Wilkinson humbuckers are fine, but a change to Alnico 2 made a difference for me - clearer neck and less harsh bridge.

Neck profile on mine is like a typical modern Les Paul, and I'd assume they're all similar. The slightly sculpted neck join seems to work - I have no trouble getting to the top frets. Fit and finish seems really good.

Here's mine...

https://imgur.com/EMX8tnI.jpg

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom