What would cause a string to start choking?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
I changed the bridge pickup in my Tele last week and ever since the top E has been choking in one location - a full tone bend at the 14th fret.

I made absolutely sure that I didn't touch anything when I took the bridge off to swap the pickup.

Puzzling!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    A lifting 15th fret.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I assume you didn't take the neck off?

Like ICBM says, check for a high 15th fret. If you don't have a fret rocker, you can cut up an old credit card so that the flat edge only spans frets 14-15-16, and then check if the card rocks back and forth, which would indicate if the fret in the middle is higher than the ones beside it.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14760
    It is possible that the bridge plate did not reseat in exactly the same position that it occupied before the pickup change.

On a vintage-style three-saddle bridge, it is possible that the high E string is now butting up against height adjustment grub screw towards the end of the saddle. The slight countersink around the threaded screw hole would bring the string slightly closer to the fingerboard and frets.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    Mmm all of the above but one other possibility is the magnet in the new pickup. Try winding the pickup down (I'm assuming it's adjustable) to it's lowest position and see if it still does it.
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
  • This time of year? Central heating. 

Dries out wood. Fretboard shrinks (not TheFretBoard). Fret lifts. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    There is a slight rock on the 15th. Quite frustrating as it only had a fret dress a few months ago!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Maybe slackening or taking all the strings off to change the pup has relaxed the neck slightly and loosened the fret?

The other thing is, are you sure its only just began, and that you havent just noticed it because you’re listening much closer to the new pickup?

Hope ya get it sorted easily man!

The only easy day, was yesterday...

If it really has just started lifting then a gentle tap with something like the wooden handle of a screw driver has worked for me in the past to seat it back in again. Just spread the strings out of the way with your fingers and make sure you don't accidentally hammer a string into your fret.

Take it slow and don't over do it as there's nothing worse than turning a slightly high fret into a slightly low fret!

@skunkwerx that's a very good point - I can't say I was specifically listening out for it beforehand but in any case, it's happened now

@Maynehead I think I will try that, thanks!

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    An action that's too low on a radius that's too small on a guitar that needs a fret level?
  • Did you change string gauge when you swapped the pickup? Wondering if you had the issue already and the truss rod might need adjusting to get the action back where it was.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited November 2017
    clarkefan said:
    Did you change string gauge when you swapped the pickup? Wondering if you had the issue already and the truss rod might need adjusting to get the action back where it was.
    The relief wouldn't really have a big effect that high up the neck. A good fret job will always allow for a very slight relief
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    rico said:
    @skunkwerx that's a very good point - I can't say I was specifically listening out for it beforehand but in any case, it's happened now

@Maynehead I think I will try that, thanks!

Aye true it doesnt help much. It just reminded me of the amount of times I’ve changed something, then noticed something purely because I’m really looking for things, with no idea if what I’ve changed has caused it or not haha! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    It had an excellent fret job with fallaway together with a set up at @FelineGuitars just a few months ago. It’s a bit frustrating! 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11758
    tFB Trader
    Just check you haven't got a tiny kink in the string - it can happen and cause oddness

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Just check you haven't got a tiny kink in the string - it can happen and cause oddness

Very true. If the strings are old they may develop a tiny hump above the frets, and if you've slackened off the strings the hump might now be pointing downwards towards the string.

Having said that, he did find a "rock" on the 15th fret so it may well be high. Just make sure it's not rocking on the adjacent frets too, which would indicate that the rocker itself may not be flat.

New strings went on but I have a spare E so I will swap them and report back.