line 6 variax standard ,opinions ?anyone own or gig one ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1336
    I have a JTV69 and still think its a great guitar.  
    did you not get a bit sick after the first 2 months i.e too many options ? fiddling about with it too much instead of playing it? thats my worry and the only thing stopping me pulling the trigger
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    edited November 2017
    mark123 said:
    I have a JTV69 and still think its a great guitar.  
    did you not get a bit sick after the first 2 months i.e too many options ? fiddling about with it too much instead of playing it? thats my worry and the only thing stopping me pulling the trigger
    Unless you're constantly diving into the Workbench software to make custom configurations, there's not a great deal to fiddle with.  It comes pretty well set up from an electronics point of view.  Sure there are a number of different guitar models, and whilst you might try out different models for different songs, this can be done very quickly.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    I can't answer the OP question but I had an old Variax which I honestly thought sounded better than the newer one I currently have.  Same with the POD's, I have an old unit and a newer XT live and the old POD sounds better.  I can't explain this but I've seen it echoed on other forums. 

As far as I can see the main advantage of a variax is in live use - I got one because I was playing covers and the only guitarist.  The facility to be able to switch tunings and have a passable acoustic sound as well is irresistible.  IMHO some of the models sound much better than others though.  I used the telecaster setting a lot, but the stratocaster to me isn't convincing at all.  Same with the the semi acoustics.  

When you play live you don't get the confusion of the acoustic strings ringing in concert tuning but it can be a nuisance at bedroom volume. 

If I was still in a a band I would have one of the jtv's but these Pacifica based guitars do seem amazing value.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    If the price has been knocked down, does this mean that there is a new version of the electronics due?  This version has been around for a good while and is pretty long in the tooth.