Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Another Les Paul Replica - Mick Ralphs

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14767
in Guitar tFB Trader
If you can't get enough of Les Pauls - then how about another LP replica - The Mick Ralphs model 

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Mick-Ralphs-1958-Les-Paul-Standard-8-7049-Replica.aspx
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    I thought Cant Get Enough was played on a high strung Tele... or is my memory fading...?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    "The Mick Ralphs 1958 Les Paul Standard Replica is not only a playable tribute to a legendary guitarist but an instrument on par with the hallowed Les Pauls of the late 1950s in every way."

Yeah, right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8848
    Has the neck pickup been disconnected?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    tFB Trader
    I always associate him with a single cut junior.
    Sorry my bad - Cant Get Enough was the odd open C tuning... pretty sure it was a Tele though...

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Sorry my bad - Cant Get Enough was the odd open C tuning... pretty sure it was a Tele though...
    The rhythm guitar was an open C Esquire and the solo was a single cut junior. He got his first burst during the Straight Shooter sessions.

I think it’s great that Mick has got a ‘signature’ model but it’s very bittersweet as he no longer able to play it. Can’t help but wish this had happened 10 years ago...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    miserneil said:
    impmann said:
    The rhythm guitar was an open C Esquire and the solo was a single cut junior. He got his first burst during the Straight Shooter sessions.

I think it’s great that Mick has got a ‘signature’ model but it’s very bittersweet as he no longer able to play it. Can’t help but wish this had happened 10 years ago...
    Agreed - he's a great player and often gets 'forgotten'. Sad to hear he's that poorly...

• Oh look! Another sunburst les paul! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The wording of the thread title caught my attention.But guitars4you is not teasing us.
    It seems that Gibson are attempting to redefine/reclaim the word Replica as we understand it in the guitar world.
    The word Replica is part of the official name of this model. :o

Good.

Several dictionary definitions say that a Replica is a reproduction by the original maker,
    "a copy or reproduction of a work of art produced by the maker of the original or under his or her supervision"

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4379
    Skipped said:
    The wording of the thread title caught my attention.But guitars4you is not teasing us.
    It seems that Gibson are attempting to redefine/reclaim the word Replica as we understand it in the guitar world.
    The word Replica is part of the official name of this model. :o

Good.

Several dictionary definitions say that a Replica is a reproduction by the original maker,
    "a copy or reproduction of a work of art produced by the maker of the original or under his or her supervision"

You forgot the Gibson caveat to that...

'When we say replica, we don't really mean replica. We mean, this year's model. Which, when we see fit, we will replace with an ever so slightly more accurate replica, in comparison to this year's replica.'

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1679
    Some of you chaps love a whinge. 

I know the guy who owns the original, so does Yuuki, we both played it the same day. It was Yuuki’s fave on the day too, and there were other bursts present. The owner is very happy with how the replica has turned out, and to me that says a lot. 

Gibson building “replicas” should have have happened a long time ago.

I personally would love to own one of these.

Rob.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited November 2017
    From guitar techniques magazine....

1: Ralphs uses his variation on open C tuning for Can't Get Enough and Movin' On; from bottom string to top string, the strings are CCGCEC

edited November 2017
    impmann said:
    I thought Cant Get Enough was played on a high strung Tele... or is my memory fading...?
    I *think* 'Feel like makin Love' was recorded on the Esquire in Nashville tuning (High octave strings from a 12 string set fitted to the E,A,D,G strings)....
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1679
    Alnico said:
    impmann said:
    I *think* 'Feel like makin Love' was recorded on the Esquire in Nashville tuning (High octave strings from a 12 string set fitted to the E,A,D,G strings)....
    I did string an acoustic up Nashville once. I heard it was a secret weapon on some Stones albums. It was really interesting to try.
    Alnico said:
    impmann said:
    Yep, that's where I'm getting it from! :-) Thanks... I thought I was losing it.

edited November 2017
    impmann said:
    Alnico said:
    impmann said:
    It's either classic rock or guitarist magazine.
    Sometime in the last few years, it was a massive 5 page thing and he said something like he's used that Esquire to stand on to reach things off a tall shelf! 
    It was in that magazine that he revealed the nashville tuning and a thousand somehow-not-quite-right-but-can't-put-your-finger-on-exactly-why performances, suddenly became crystal clear.........and just that little bit more crap.

I'm fairly sure if Googled against the titles above, it would be somewhere online?

Maybe @TTony and his magazine fairy subscription could track it down as long as that doesn't cost anything?

I'm high 90's % sure it's either classic rock or guitarist. 

'13/'14?
    tFB Trader
    Alnico said:
    impmann said:
    Alnico said:
    impmann said:
    Sometime in the last few years, it was a massive 5 page thing and he said something like he's used that Esquire to stand on to reach things off a tall shelf! 
    It was in that magazine that he revealed the nashville tuning and a thousand somehow-not-quite-right-but-can't-put-your-finger-on-exactly-why performances, suddenly became crystal clear.........and just that little bit more crap.

I'm fairly sure if Googled against the titles above, it would be somewhere online?

Maybe @TTony and his magazine fairy subscription could track it down as long as that doesn't cost anything?

'13/'14?
    It was Guitarist, think I still have it somwhere...
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2450
    Everything is played on a Tele for goodness sake...those Les Pauls are just for show! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    miserneil said:
    Alnico said:
    impmann said:
    Alnico said:
    impmann said:

'13/'14?
    It was Guitarist, think I still have it somwhere...
    It was, I remember the photo of him standing on the Esquire & thinking “For all that money his shoes are terrible”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Haha!! Yeah, the leather slip ons....and standing on such an iconic guitar...I thought that was a little crap! :)
    (formerly miserneil)