5 way switch cracking and cutting in and out

I have a 93 mij strat that I’m giving some love as it’s a friends and needs a bit of work as it’s been left in a loft.

i have done everything apart from electronics, plugged her in and neck pickup fine, switch it pos 4 crackling, same with pos 3 and 2 then 1 it cuts out the 3/4 secs later get signal.

Do I just use contact cleaner? Any recommendations?

also the trust rod is extremely tight... any tips to losen  it?

are these mij squire 93/94 strats worth much? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    Replace the switch with a proper CRL switch - no other type. The stock switch on these older MIJ guitars is junk. Cleaning it might work, but only temporarily.

Take the truss rod nut right out and put a bit of standard automotive lithium grease in the thread and on the face of the nut, then it should turn more easily.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14760
    Any recommendations?
    1) Make a sketch or take photographs of the wiring before you begin to disconnect anything. 

This will make it easier to translate between the physical layout of an eight-contacts-in-line selector switch and that of the CRL type that appears in the majority of schematic diagrams.

Generic Asian
    1234 5678

CRL

2) The switch replacement task is an opportunity to revise the control functions.

For example, the bridge position pickup can be connected to the lower tone control pot. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBM said:
    Replace the switch with a proper CRL switch - no other type. The stock switch on these older MIJ guitars is junk. Cleaning it might work, but only temporarily.

Take the truss rod nut right out and put a bit of standard automotive lithium grease in the thread and on the face of the nut, then it should turn more easily.
    Great thanks! Any tips to get the barrel out?
  • Any recommendations?
    1) Make a sketch or take photographs of the wiring before you begin to disconnect anything. 

This will make it easier to translate between the physical layout of an eight-contacts-in-line selector switch and that of the CRL type that appears in the majority of schematic diagrams.

Generic Asian
    1234 5678

CRL

2) The switch replacement task is an opportunity to revise the control functions.

For example, the bridge position pickup can be connected to the lower tone control pot. 
    Thank you. Yes think that will be worth doing! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    dean111music said:

Any tips to get the barrel out?
    Unscrew it all the way… it should come out by itself if you hold the neck with that end pointing down.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein