Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is central heating playing havoc with anyone else’s guitars?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
The heating was finally turned on about a week ago and with the colder weather it’s been on quite regularly. It’s playing havoc with my guitars! Fretting our all over the place and generally feeling not normal. 

Usual or not? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    I have had a bit, tuning not as stable as it is normally.

my acoustic gets very buzzy for 6 months of the year... must get around to making it a summer/winter saddle set.  It’s oil finished, so more prone to environmental changes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Yup tuning issues here also. My usually rock solid Tele is all over the place. 
  • Humidity is down to an all time low 42%.
    It is freezing. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15844
    my music room is unheated, tho the log burner does spread its heat there. However, I noted today that my fiddle sounded sharp as hell.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited November 2017
    My girlfriend is a Yorkshire lass. We're not allowed to use the heating... We have a 50 year old blanket on the back of the sofa. I'm thinking of cutting arm holes in it so I can pay guitar wearing fingerless gloves...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    My girlfriend is a Yorkshire lass. We're not allowed to use the heating... We have a 50 year old blanket on the back of the sofa. I'm thinking of cutting arm holes in it so I can pay guitar wearing fingerless gloves...
    You sir, have just invented the headless  poncho.

Coming soon to a Spaghetti Western at a cinema near you.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    You know what they say.. 
    You can always tell a Yorkshire lass. But you can’t tell her much..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobe said:
    You know what they say.. 
    You can always tell a Yorkshire lass. But you can’t tell her much..!
    I can't tell mine anything... Unless I plug a microphone into a big amp. 

I don't like to interrupt :relaxed: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My girlfriend is a Yorkshire lass. We're not allowed to use the heating... We have a 50 year old blanket on the back of the sofa. I'm thinking of cutting arm holes in it so I can pay guitar wearing fingerless gloves...
    How will cutting holes in the sofa help you play guitar with gloves? Ditch the gloves, slap heating on and save a fortune on new sofa. Problem sorted.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2450
    I have the heating off in my guitar room, seems to keep them all stable. 
  • Both Gibson and fender solid as hell tuning wise in the meltedbuzzbox house hold
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    edited November 2017
    Trying to avoid that problem. Any tips?

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Mine have been solid although my humidity has crept up to the early 60’s when the heating is on. With it off, it stays around the early 50’s which is where I usually keep it. Trying to air the place out without freezing my nuts off in the process! 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    In the winter we end up drying clothes in the spare room...(where I play)...even with the washing in there it’s only 55% humidity....I think it’s keeping everything in balance nicely!
  • Elwood said:
    Trying to avoid that problem. Any tips?

Get a Yorkshire lass

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    BRISTOL86 said:
    In the winter we end up drying clothes in the spare room...(where I play)...even with the washing in there it’s only 55% humidity....I think it’s keeping everything in balance nicely!
    Washing fucks with the humidity badly in my place - it’s not uncommon for it to sometimes go up as high as 75%. Luckily I have a dehumidifier in the guitar room that keeps it at least sub 60 which is usually fine. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    No idea what the humidity in my room is. Tuning is definately messy lately though. 

At first they all kept going sharp, but today the esp was a little sharp on certain strings, and a little flat on others. 

Generally I keep my rad down low ish, which is only a couple foot from the guitars corner. Still gets a fair bit hot mind.. just dont like the idea of it being on full whack in close proximity. 

The wall on the opposite side of the rad has my windows.. I imagine the house has twisted tbh because I’ve broken one lock trying to force it open, and the other side has a gap big enough to let the cat out. So regardless, the cold gets in! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Nope, everything is spot on save for quarter of a turn on a thumb screw on a Jackson.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9814
    Everything fine here in Chez 9000. The guitar's are kept in what is now the music room. They are all kept in gigbags when not in use, and I try (but not very hard) to keep temperature fluctuations to a minimum.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3020
    BRISTOL86 said:
    I started doing that after I noticed the fret ends sticking out a bit on a couple of guitars.
    sorted it right out !