NGD: A Lovely Thing (Vintage Aria Content)

What's Hot

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14743
    I've never seen one with triple P90s. 

If the hardware plating is chrome, I know where you could obtain a Kahler Pro stud mount vibrato. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    I'd be very surprised if the P90s are original. Every one I've seen in person or in photos has had two humbuckers - if these are original it would almost certainly be some sort of special order I think, or a trade show guitar or something.

What do the mini-switches do?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited December 2017
    ICBM said:
    two humbuckers ... What do the mini-switches do?
    DPDT would be coil split per humbucker. 

DP3T would be series/split/parallel à la Ibanez Tri-Sound.

With three regular P90s, the only useful options would be phase reversal or series interconnections. 

If the P90s are coils tapped, two of them could vary their output levels.

In the second photograph, the lower mini switch appears to be perpendicular to the hex nut and washer. This suggests that it is parked in the middle position and, hence, is a three-way.

Assuming that the neck and bridge pickups run via the toggle selector switch, it would make sense if the the mini switches govern the centre pickup.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2915
    That's cool as fuck. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    two humbuckers ... What do the mini-switches do?
    DPDT would be coil split per humbucker. 

DP3T would be series/split/parallel à la Ibanez Tri-Sound.

In the second photograph, the lower mini switch appears to be perpendicular to the hex nut and washer. This suggests that it is parked in the middle position and, hence, is a three-way.
    I think it's just pushed towards the neck.

On the originals with humbuckers, I think they were a coil split for both pickups, and a phase switch - although I might be wrong, it's a long time since I've played one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    I'm the same as you on this @ICBM - I've never seen one before - maybe a custom order, prototype or sample with a view to release etc, but new for me - funningly enough I've just done a google search and this is the only one I've found

Does it look like factory routing for p/ups, or any suspect changes - ditto wiring - update accordingly for my own interest etc
    blueskunk said:
    That's cool as fuck.

The most impressive aspect is the workmanship.*

Either the top has been refinished to a very high standard or the P90 cavities have been created without leaving any trace of the original humbucker mounting surround screws. 

The four screw holes nearest the fingerboard and bridge would have been assimilated into the P90 cavities. The four innermost screws would be expected to fall outside the "footprint" of the P90s. 

* If the guitar left the factory with three P90s, high quality workmanship is only to be expected.
  • I'm pretty sure that it originally looked like this:

However, I absolutely love the 3 x P90's.

The work looks to have been carried out to a very high standard indeed.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23575
    Are they normal P-90 covers?  Maybe it's just the pictures but they look almost humbucker-sized.
    Philly_Q said:
    Are they normal P-90 covers?  Maybe it's just the pictures but they look almost humbucker-sized.
    I thought that as well, which makes me think it may be factory original. Probably the only way to be sure is to take one out, if there’s no clear evidence of routing visible from the outside.

• Looks awesome but vintage?
    Are we just slapping that word on anything now?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks awesome but vintage?
    Are we just slapping that word on anything now?

Off the top of my head, I’m guessing this model is around ‘79-‘80, so it’s around 37-38 years old.

Come up with a better term and I’ll happily apply it...

:)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    It's almost twice as old as a '52 Les Paul or '54 Strat would have been in the early 70s when 'vintage' started to be used to describe old guitars.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    Here's my red one...

Selling it btw.... if anyone is interested....

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/82332/aria-pro-ii-pe60-made-in-japan-still-for-sale#latest
  • merlin said:
    Here's my red one...

Selling it btw.... if anyone is interested....

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/82332/aria-pro-ii-pe60-made-in-japan-still-for-sale#latest
    Totally lush! :)

• I like that!

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27931
    I'm pretty sure that I've seen one of those, with 3 x P90s, before.

Can't remember where or when though.

Liked it then, like it now.  Nice catch H7.  Let me know when it's up for the chop
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I thought that as well, which makes me think it may be factory original. Probably the only way to be sure is to take one out, if there’s no clear evidence of routing visible from the outside.
    my thoughts as well - yet if it possesses some magical mojo that makes it desirable, then who are we to question it - won't be the first or last guitar to be customised to suit
  • "Come up with a better term and I’ll happily apply it..."

'Old' ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That’s bloody lovely!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.