Nut height?

What's Hot

When adjusting the depth of nut slots / height of string at the nut... just wanted to check whether you guys recommend exactly the same approach / height for...

1. Electric guitars and acoustic guitars

2. 6 string guitars and 12 string guitars (on a 12 string guitar, is it OK to set each of the strings in a pair so that each string is as low as possible/practical... or should the pair be set so that the top edge of each string in the pair is at the same height as its partner?)

Many thanks

(and thanks again for all the help you gave on a previous thread back in March... http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/99206/  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The correct method is to capo at the third fret. With the guitar tuned to pitch, it should be possible to lightly tap each string on to the first fret.

Doing this takes the string height at the bridge - and relief settings - completely out of the equation.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    edited December 2017
    What do folks mean when they say "third fret"? I mean are you trying to get the string to contact on the third fret going up or down the neck? Where's your finger?
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Just measured mine and they hang at exactly 88cms
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philtre said:
    What do folks mean when they say "third fret"? I mean are you trying to get the string to contact on the third fret going up or down the neck? Where's your finger?
    By putting a capo (behind) the third fret, it clamps all six strings against the second and third frets - which for the reasons I explained earlier - allows proper evaluation of nut height.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    OK, so from the perspective of the nut, it's fretted at the second fret, right?
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    After watching loads of Sam Deeks setup videos on youtube I used 0.3mm at the first fret when doing my Tele.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited December 2017
    Philtre said:
    If you fretted at the second, the string would be in contact with the first. Fretting at the third, means it is in contact with the second. There should be a slight gap between each string and the top of the first fret - and by ‘slight’ I mean hardly any. A light tap should make the string hit the top of the first fret. We’re talking perhaps a couple of thousandths of an inch gap.

The point of this method, is that the nut slots can be adjusted irrespective of whether the bridge (which determines string height) is too high or too low - or whether there is too little or too much relief. In other words, it eliminates variables which might cause you to leave the slots higher than needed - or inadvertently cutting them too low.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    edited December 2017 tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    If you fretted at the second, the string would be in contact with the first. Fretting at the third, means it is in contact with the second. There should be a slight gap between each string and the top of the first fret - and by ‘slight’ I mean hardly any. A light tap should make the string hit the top of the first fret. We’re talking perhaps a couple of thousandths of an inch gap.

The point of this method, is that the nut slots can be adjusted irrespective of whether the bridge (which determines the height) is too high or too low - or whether there is too little or too much relief. In other words, it eliminates variables which might cause you to leave the slots higher than needed - or inadvertently cutting them too low.
    agree with this - the gap above the 1st fret is close to zero without touching - go to low and it will cause the open string to buzz - to high and it will cause tuning issues that are easily apparent on chords
  • Thanks for all the answers so far...

As I mentioned in my original post... I think the basic points are already fairly well defined in the answers given in March in this thread...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/99206/  

:-)

So... this time around, my questions was...

whether you guys recommend exactly the same approach / height for...

1. Electric guitars and acoustic guitars

2. 6 string guitars and 12 string guitars (on a 12 string guitar, is it OK to set each of the strings in a pair so that each string is as low as possible/practical... or should the pair be set so that the top edge of each string in the pair is at the same height as its partner?)

So... I'm guessing you guys use the same method and measurements for electric and acoustic guitars... but does anyone have any opinions on whether the method is varied for a 12 string?

Many thanks.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    It’s exactly the same for a 12-string. Forget about them being in pairs and simply set each string correctly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    It’s exactly the same for a 12-string. Forget about them being in pairs and simply set each string correctly.

Thanks @ICBM.... I appreciate your help.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    capo4th said:
    Just measured mine and they hang at exactly 88cms
    The left one should be lower, you should get that checked out
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Same for acoustics and electrics too.

Basically the nut should be the same height as frets.