27" 6 String (pref. through neck) Does this Exist?

What's Hot
I've been looking around a fair bit, but can't seem to find anything that meets my requirements.

I'm after a 27" scale length fixed bridge strat/superstrat, 6 string and preferably with a through neck.

I can find 7 string guitars, but I don't need the extra string. Does anybody know of such a thing? 

The closest thing I know of is the buckethead les paul, but that's not a strat, and it's also a bit "look at me, I want to be buckethead" :)

I can find a few that are nearly right scale length wise (e.g. 26.5, or 27.something).

Help?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    Exactly 27 may be difficult, but...

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/47574/

One of them is 27", but bolt-on. And semi-hollow. And not quite a Superstrat. Hmm.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I've been looking around a fair bit, but can't seem to find anything that meets my requirements.

I'm after a 27" scale length fixed bridge strat/superstrat, 6 string and preferably with a through neck.

I can find 7 string guitars, but I don't need the extra string. Does anybody know of such a thing? 

The closest thing I know of is the buckethead les paul, but that's not a strat, and it's also a bit "look at me, I want to be buckethead" :)

I can find a few that are nearly right scale length wise (e.g. 26.5, or 27.something).

Help?

Cheers!
    Custom order?

I found this on Thomann, fan fret but the bass side is 27"

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_fanfret_fbb_2018_dlx.htm

• WezVWezV Frets: 16959
    I was going to ask if you had considered a fanned fret.    I have a 25-27” fanned fret here.  Actually I have two.

Might help to understand why you are after 27” in the first place.

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    There's the PRS 277 SE but it's a set neck and not a superstrat.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited December 2017
    Ibanez had a run of RG XL guitars with a 27" scale, they are out of production though.

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG470XL

Personally I would be concerned at how tight the high plain strings will be at 27" scale, having played some 26.5" guitars I'm not sure the trade off is worth it unless you are tuning very low.  I have not tried a fan fret though they look a better solution than just a long scale on all strings.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You could put 8s on...
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited December 2017
    Sporky said:
    You could put 8s on...
    But won’t the scale length affect the rise to pitch and stiffness when bending? In the same way that the same gauge is harder to bend on a Fender than a Gibson (assuming comparable setups).

As in it’ll be easier than a thicker string, but still fairly stiff due to the scale
    Mebbe.

I'd put 10s on and tune it so it feels right.
  • To answer the earlier question - I've spent quite a bit of time with the Buckethead LP tuned to Eb and really really like it. Tension is really nice (with 10-46).

Also would want to play with Drop C tuning on a longer scale. Tried some of the longer scales, but I find them too long ... 25.5 is too floppy ;) unless you put really heavy strings, in which case I don't like the feel.

If that makes sense ... keen to be pointed in another direction.

Oh, and I tried a fanned fret thing (with one half at 27") at guitar guitar, really really didn't like it. I play a lot of chords and it made my head hurt. I guess I'd get used to it, but don't want to. 

Interestingly though, with a 46 on the bass end, tension was perfect on that thing too. That was a superstrat (RG style) by someone I can't remember. It was on clearance and now they've sold them all :(

Oh, and I tried a fanned fret thing (with one half at 27") at guitar guitar, really really didn't like it. I play a lot of chords and it made my head hurt. I guess I'd get used to it, but don't want to. 

Interestingly though, with a 46 on the bass end, tension was perfect on that thing too. That was a superstrat (RG style) by someone I can't remember. It was on clearance and now they've sold them all :(
    that's the important thing to know.  I have a vaguely superstrat deep set fanned fret here  but the position of the fan makes it great for lead.   it fans from the 12th fret and both bridge and nut are equally fanned.  some first position chords can feel a bit odd though.

I have another here in a totally different style with exactly the same scales, but the fan is from the 5th fret.  nobody struggles with first position chords on that. 

The guitars play totally different, even though the scales match.  the position of the fan is just as important as scale choice

Fanned frets are the best answer here, but you need to find the right one and that could be even more difficult ;)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27971
    I thought you'd sold that white one @wezv?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    I tried.  Seems most who were interested wanted extra strings, a skinnier neck or a different finish.

I keep thinking about slimming the neck and giving it a fancier finish... but I don’t mind keeping it here until I get around to it

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Yamaha used to do a drop 6 that was just over 26 IIRC
    You might see if one of them pops up 2’d hand?
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    Ibanez rdg isnt too far away as a 26.5inch with fixed bridge and bolt on. Baritones are limited I found when I was looking
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1104
    Yep agile/Rondo music in the US do a 6 string septor Elite that ticks all your boxes

6 string
    Thru neck
    27" scale 
    Super strat 
    Fixed Bridge
    $400 Or $249 for the bolt on

http://www.rondomusic.com/product8766.html

I have an Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7 string and a Septor 30" 8 String,both are well made quality guitars with great necks
     Not to many popup this side of the pond and last i checked rondo's police was a hardcase with every internationally shipped guitar,might be worth snooping ebay.com or reverb for one

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3378
    Have you checked out Jericho guitars? I’m sure they do what your asking and for decent prices. 
  • Thanks everyone for the above :)  I should have said, I'm looking for something used (or dirt dirt cheap).

The RG470XL is currently the winner - as I can block off the trem and then sell the thing on if I don't get on with 27" scale in the longer term.

If I do get on with it as I think I will, I'll probably sell the thing anyway as I'd like to get something custom built.

• Ohhh, that's almost perfect!

Need to keep an eye out on Reverb and eBay etc ... 

Cheers!