sleep aponea

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I’ve not.  But get sleep paralysis most nights.  Used to be just falling asleep but also wake up with it now.  Not dangerous like aponea, but it torments you through the night.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354

I’ve not.  But get sleep paralysis most nights.  Used to be just falling asleep but also wake up with it now.  Not dangerous like aponea, but it torments you through the night.
    I had that once about 20 years ago. It was very scary, I woke up and couldn't move. I'd never heard of sleep paralysis before and it honestly felt like some kind of demon possession!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2489
    If you have a low Epworth score then for a private licence it may not affect your driving if your doctor agrees (though you may still have to inform the DVLA).
    If it's a PSV/PCV licence then you can't drive until you are treated and your symptoms are controlled.
    For a pilot it may be stricter again.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • I did the Epworth test and scored 14
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2489
    That would generally interpreted as moderate excessive daytime sleepiness. Have you been referred to an outpatient clinic?

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    I did the Epworth test and scored 14
    Interesting. I’ve not heard of that test before but just did it honestly, with my missus verifying, and got a score of 1. That’s even with my fairly frequent bouts of insomnia.

Does 14 out of 24 warrant further tests?
  • @Jimbro66 I found the Epwrth test site via (I think) an NHS site and IIRC the NHS site said scores of up to 8 were nothing to worry about, whereas scores of 16+ warranted medical investigation.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Interestingly, my friend has to wear a mask at night (CPAP Machine) to sleep soundly and safely and it seems to be very effective. In the twelve years I have known him, been on holidays, often a week or more together as a foursome he has never once nodded off during the day or shown any signs of being sleepy.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I did the Epworth test and scored 14
    Shame you weren't in the Ashes test, that's more than most of our team
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12070
    I met someone with narcolepsy who kept driving (not as a job). In retrospect I should have grassed him up maybe, not really sure - you never know how bad something is and what the mitigating actions taken might be
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12070
    I only know 2 people with sleep apnoea
    One is very overweight, yet weirdly the other is the thinnest guy I ever met, 6'5" with a 26 or 28 inch waist
  • I've only ever met one person with it. A very attractive lady who was capable of drinking anyone - and I mean anyone - under the table.
  • They've given me a magic machine to wear on my wrist and a little rubber cap to put on my finger. I'm supposed to use it tonight, then take it back so they can reaqd the results tomorrow.

I've been able to avoid most of the symptoms recently by not sleeping on my back, but this is not good for the cat because she likes to sleep in the crook of my arm when I sleep on my back.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12485
    Jimbro66 said:
    Interestingly, my friend has to wear a mask at night (CPAP Machine) to sleep soundly and safely and it seems to be very effective. In the twelve years I have known him, been on holidays, often a week or more together as a foursome he has never once nodded off during the day or shown any signs of being sleepy.
    My bro in law has a CPAP machine. Drives his wife nuts, she says it’s like sleeping with Darth Vader. They do definitely work though. He had a sleep study done and they found he stopped breathing on average 50 or 60 times a night, no wonder he was exhausted all the time. 
  • According to the doctor at Papworth, what I've got is more likely to be caused by a pre-existing condition involving ulcers and a hiatus hernia. A reflux happens while sleeping and when the acid gets to the vocal chords they slam shut, which makes me wake up choking and gasping for breath. It clears fairly quickly, whereas obstructive sleep aponea last a minute or more. So the upside is no worries about notifying DVLA or insurance companies about things that would cause a hike in premiums, and if they prescribe something like omeprazole, it'll save me a fortune in Gaviscon :) Thanks, Doc :)