70’s Ibanez hollow body experiences

What's Hot
cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
edited December 2017 in Guitar
On a new bossa / jazzy project and on a hunt for a nice hollow body guitar. Have seen this old Ibanez at lucky feet and was wondering if anyone has any experience with those guitars? 
Still think price is too high but it sounded ok in the store, much better than my previous Gibson 175. https://reverb.com/uk/item/2833540-1970s-ibanez-model-1860-sunburst
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14767
    tFB Trader
    I've seen a few of the Ibanez models from this era - The L5 based, the 175 and the Howard Roberts -- all are good but I'm not so sure they are as good as the hype that is sold with them - IMO there are better jazz boxes today for such a price, be it Eastman etc - I've even seen a few used Heritage models for that price and I'd suggest looking at them as well

Doesn't necessarily make it better or worse but a number of these 'pre law suit' era models are based on Gibson Guitars from the 70's and not like today when many replicas are more vintage flavoured - It isn't a bad guitar at all but IMO to much

IMO that is overpriced and I certainly would not be wanting to invest £1000 plus, to buy such a guitar, to sell for £1500/1600 - especially when you look at additional pics of the blemish near the rear of the top nut and 'movement' around the body/neck/heel
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14760
    Ho-hum. Caveat emptor.

Plenty of finish patina on that one! ;) 

In the photograph that illustrates from the twelfth fret up to the neck/Rhythm position pickup, there is a curious white line across the soundboard, to the left of the reflection of the fingerboard binding. I would very much like to see that same area from another angle. It might be a reflection of something out of frame. It might be evidence of finish checking. It might be evidence that the soundboard is delaminating. 

The loss of finish around the neck join and heel suggests either considerable shrinkage/expansion or an impact.

Taken together, the cosmetic damage, the fact that the original finish is poly and the messy neck joint would make me want to consider a full strip and refinish in nitro-cellulose. That would be expensive. Hence, the initial purchase price for the guitar "as seen" needs to be a good bit lower than advertised.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I did once try an L5 Lawsuit one which was a cracker (long time ago) but agree with @guitars4you. I've seen other (solidbody) Ibbys from the 70s that were a bit underwhelming, and the pics of that guitar convey a bit of the same impression for me. There could be quirky, undesirable features too - I don't like the zero fret for example, and not keen on those tuning machines. I guess the guitar has some collectable value as part of the asking price, and I'm sure it's decent enough, but...
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited December 2017
    Yeah I agree, thanks for the comments. I’ve seen the guitar in flesh and although it sounds great, I don’t think I’d be willing to pay what they’re asking on it as maintenance can become expensive.

It’s just that good 175s are hard to find (even harder to be able to play them before committing!)

May need a trip to a bigger store in the weekend to try a few other brands but the gibson design is still very attractive (the prices not so much )
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    That's about a thousand pounds overpriced. You could actually buy a real 175 for that.

I had one, a long time ago. (Bought on a whim after seeing Simon Hinkler of The Mission using a 175, if that doesn't damn me totally :).) Not even close to a Gibson - none of that woody thick jazzy tone at all, just sounded like a bad plywood acoustic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KoaKoa Frets: 122
    Agree with ICBM, overpriced and even if it was a great player would be difficult to get your money back if you don’t get on with it. I had one and it certainly had more vintage feel than a modern Gibson but ultimately wasn’t better. The Gibson would have more s/h appeal ......however I once had a ‘63 Gibson ES175 that was simply amazing...woody tone in abundance.
  • I thought the only Ibanez guitar that truly had a lawsuit against it was the mk1 destroyer?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I thought the only Ibanez guitar that truly had a lawsuit against it was the mk1 destroyer?
    Hm, maybe I’m generalising.. was referring to those very close Gibson copies from the 70s
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3125
    I thought the only Ibanez guitar that truly had a lawsuit against it was the mk1 destroyer?
    ...the only 'Lawsuit' (actually a cease and desist) related to the headstock shape used on early Ibanez Les Paul copies specifically intended for distribution in the USA. By the time the order became relevant, Ibanez had changed the headstock shape and moved on. Nothing else had any sort of order made against them, including the same guitars destined for Europe.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Good info! Changing the thread title :)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14767
    tFB Trader
    blobb said:
    I thought the only Ibanez guitar that truly had a lawsuit against it was the mk1 destroyer?
    ...the only 'Lawsuit' (actually a cease and desist) related to the headstock shape used on early Ibanez Les Paul copies specifically intended for distribution in the USA. By the time the order became relevant, Ibanez had changed the headstock shape and moved on. Nothing else had any sort of order made against them, including the same guitars destined for Europe.
    that is about the jist of it - the rest is a myth that suits the modern needs of additional 'vintage character'

Just dawned on me - I was recently offered a similar Ibanez 175 from this era, at a guitar show I was exhibiting at - Icould have purchased it for £295 and with that in my I was looking at a £450ish selling price - I debated it, but during my thinking time it was sold - As such this fits in with @ICBM 's pricing comments
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited December 2017
    I used to know a bloke with the Ibanez 175 copy. He loved it. I think he still gigs it. I’m not sure it had the 175’tone as he played in quite a heavy band.