Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

eBay Content: Grandad's Strat(s)

What's Hot

Comments

• With the potential sums of money involved, I really don’t know how anyone could treat this seller seriously after this degree of f*cking about... :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    The 56 is back up... seriously dodgy goings on...
    only a guess - someone made a bid - went to collect and didn't like something

might be genuine in that bidders are wasting his time but right to question the situation
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Has anyone on here seen it? 
  • Hmmm, the 64 is gone but isn't listed under "completed".
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • The auctions both finished a day early - just disappeared..
    Would suggest ebay or someone pulled them. 
  • They're both back up.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    edited December 2017
    The 60s one has gone again. Some massive dicking around going on...

Has anyone done a thorough search for whether the pics are lifted from some other sale? I had a quick look but I couldn't see anything.

(Edit) And now back again, but on a short listing. Very suspicious - trying to get bids before the auction gets pulled? No-one who was seriously interested in maximising the value of it would do that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578

Whenever there's something genuinely interesting/valuable on an eBay auction, as opposed to Buy It Now, almost without fail it disappears before the end of the auction.

And not just the standard "the seller ended the listing because the item is no longer available"... they just vanish into thin air.  Which I guess suggests eBay pulling them, rather than the seller?

• Seller could be contacted off eBay by a buyer, do the deal, then seller could take it down cos it's faulty or whatever.  So eBay do the advertising and then get cut out of the sale.

Why all the reappearing is a worry though :)
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2884
    edited December 2017
    He's not replied to any emails - which is surely dodgy... 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    IMHO with the upping and downing and lack of response, I'd treat them as a dodgy seller regardless of the items..

Given they are two rather valuable Strats... well... they seem to be just a bit too clean and just a bit too poorly photographed to make a good decision.

Imagine you inherit two Strats. You do a bit of internet research and realise they are worth £££. Similarly you realise that some people would pay an awful lot for them being this clean if they are original and straight.

Do you then list them as an auction on eBay or do you canvas a load of other sources where you might be able to get top dollar? Hmmmm. I know what I'd do.
  • I think they’re scam listings and he/she is counting on people offering to pay a buy-it-now price via bank transfer to secure one or both. You’d be crazy to do that but it can happen. Is it definitely the same seller ID listing each time? I’ve not been paying attention to that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1361
    I don't expect there would be a reserve over £5k if it were a scam.  I'd 100% want them in my hand before payment. Photos and listing are intriguingly bad enough to arouse interest. 
    Equally bad listing for a refin 64 jazz bass a couple of weeks ago at £2600 with a mention of a parallel preloved ad which turned out to have an asking price of £2500. 3 days later the same bass has been relisted by another seller at 7500 with an amp. Quickest to move seemed to have got a bargain. Sometimes these ads are real. But you have to be so careful......
  • Compared to the ‘62 Strat’ that was in the classifieds here recently, it all seems very above board....
  • So, go on, who bought it?
    You can admit it now :-) 
    The ‘64 seems to have disappeared again - as before, not ‘sold’ or ‘completed’, just gone. This suggests it’s being pulled by Ebay. My guess is that it’s due to complaints by the legitimate owner of the guitar, and the pictures.

I’ve been suspicious from the start because of the difference in the photography of two guitars supposedly being sold by the same person, and the constant changes and disappearance/reappearance of the listings makes me even more so.

As someone said earlier I would guess this is an attempt to get an over-enthusiastic buyer to make a bank transfer to ‘secure’ the guitars - vintage guitars seem to attract these sort of people... I know one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7122
    tFB Trader
    The '64 is here, showing completed.
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/282770951347
    The '64 is here, showing completed.
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/282770951347
    That’s very strange... if you search for it or follow the original link it doesn’t show up. The ‘56 does - but not under ‘sellers other items’ from that one or vice versa, which makes me think the account has been hijacked.

Something very odd is going on and I wouldn’t trust any of it!

• ^^ looking at the price it ended at it would seem not many people believed it was a genuine sale
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1361
    The '56 is now up to 10000, so perhaps the sold listing has given other bidders confidence. I do hope we find out whether it is Kosher