Which strat pickup set?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
I'm thinking of building a strat and I'm wondering what pickups to get, so looking for ideas.

Some things to bear in mind:
  1. Kinsman noiseless have been my fave thus far
  2. Didn't like BK Apache's at all
  3. I quite like a well cranked up sound.
I could go with the Kinsman's as I have two spare, but I fancy something different maybe.

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Try the EMG Retro Actives and give us a review
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    edited December 2017
    Fender Custom 69s and possibly a SD SSL-5 in the bridge. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    Texas Special fan here.  And a yen to try the Ancho Poblanos, although they cost a king's ransom.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    A while back I took a punt on a set of voodoos from.
    https://www.priborapickups.com/

for the money I thought why not... they’ve replaced a set of fralins in my main strat now!...

Excellent pups and dirt cheap... really dirt cheap!...
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I'd get a set from one of our excellent UK pickup builders.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    poopot said:
    A while back I took a punt on a set of voodoos from.
    https://www.priborapickups.com/

for the money I thought why not... they’ve replaced a set of fralins in my main strat now!...

Excellent pups and dirt cheap... really dirt cheap!...
    I second this, I bought a set of these recently and they’re killer, not just for the price but just great Pickups 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    Although that said I still think a set of Ash’s stone tones with a baseplate on bridge pickup would be the ultimate set for me if I were building a ‘brassier’ more driven sounding Strat 
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2665
    Elwood said:
    Fender Custom 69s and possibly a SD SSL-5 in the bridge. 
    My Gilmour-a-like Strat has a SSL-5 in the bridge, with a CS '69 in the middle and a CS Fat 50's in the neck. Also has the switch to add the neck pickup. Not just great for the obvious but it's a nice sounding all rounder. The SSL-5 sounds great overdriven and really sings.
  • I have a set of oil city triple blues in mine, sound great. The steel plate on the bridge made a massive difference.
  • Oil City Triple Blues or Stonetone for something slightly hotter. Baseplate fitted to bridge pickup in either case. 

If you want a bit more versatility for crunch sounds, try their Diamond Geezer tapped bridge pickup 
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2489
    I have a set of oil city triple blues in mine, sound great. The steel plate on the bridge made a massive difference.
    Same here, minus the baseplate. For me they're the "stratiest" pickups I've ever used. With regards to cranked up I have no problem getting Blackmore sounds out of it with the right amp settings.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 851
    I would say there's nothing new about basic single coil pickups. The bottom line is that this is technology from the 1950s. Any Tonerider or Iron gear (inset your preference here) pickup with alnico magnets is going to sound every bit as good as the most expensive offerings from Lollar, Bare Knuckle etc. You'd get a lot more effect from changing pot and capacitor values. And with eyes closed I'm sure very few people could tell the difference between similarly specified pickups made by 'cheaper' and 'designer' manufacturers.

Hum-cancelling pickups however, are at the forefront of modern technology. IMHO Something that can give you a genuine single coil sound without the hum is well worth paying for. Take your pick based on your tastes - Ilitch coil, Kinman, DiMarzio, Fender Noiseless.

Kinman makes a variety of different pickups - perhaps you may wish to try an overwound set...?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom