Strat Bridge - Vintage 6 screw v 2 point floating?

What's Hot
HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 340
I've got a 2 point floating bridge and looking to upgrade to a Callahan bridge kit, now facing a decision whether to convert back to a vintage 6 pin or remain with the floating 2 point, was wondering if anyone has experience or any thoughts on the merits or benefits of either?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2038
    You just loosen the inner 4 pins, so I don't think there's much in it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    If the 2-point bridge uses large post inserts in the body, you will need to fill the holes and *very* accurately drill the six new screw holes. If they don't line up properly the bridge will bind and not return to pitch very well.

Personally, I wouldn't do it even though I marginally prefer the sound and feel of the 6-screw bridge - I just don't see the point in causing potential trouble for the sake of a relatively small change. Unless you touch up the finish you will see the filled holes too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14767
    tFB Trader
    various factors have an impact on the tone and feel - the trem block itself as to what material and/or grade of steel - vintage or modern saddles - even the springs 

Somehow I think the 2 point trems have more of a 'spongy' feel about them and the 6 point, if set-up correctly somehow more responsive and positive - Interesting that 2 big idols, Jeff Beck and hank Marvin, who both use the trem a lot differ on which they prefer

Agree with @ICBM about re-converting - I can understand the change to a Callaham bridge, but I'd be tempt to simply exchange the components but keep to a 2 point - less hassle
  • 6 screw sounds better and stays in tune perfectly when set up properly - the callaham one is great, most of the advantage is probably in the block though...

Go for the 6 screw callaham, theyre great 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 340
    Cheers for all responses, It originally had a vintage bridge so the holes are already there, it would just mean filling the two larger outer ones and making them smaller, I've read that Callahan also do a mod for that very purpose but can't find it.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    Wudtone do a conversion - but all it is comprised of two bushes that you screw into the post anchors and a pair of normal Strat bridge screws with the course screw threaded section cut off and a thread tapped onto them to match the thread in the Bush. Not rocket science and frankly could have been a lot cheaper...

I’m not a fan of the two post trem - too spongey and my picking technique causes them to chirp (fractionally detune and return to pitch each time a string is plucked - nice if you’re Jeff Beck, shit if you are trying to play power chords or an arpeggio cleanly). I also can’t stand the cack Fender system for removing slack from the arm - a silly spring that 1) falls out and 2) doesn’t work.

Id put it back to the six screw - it’s not that hard. I’ve done it with a Floyd equipped Strat, a Fender two post and even a Kahler - each time, yes you need to accurately drill but take your time and it’s definitely do-able.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3699
    Not a trem user but I prefer the look of the original six screw version.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    My late 80’s strat was one of the first with the new style 2 point trem... but... it didn’t have the bushings... the two trem posts screw straight into the body... much more resonant than the bushed version!...