JEM neck profile

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
So I have three Ibanezeseseses in the house at the moment, a blue JEM, my Prestige RGA121 and my S Classic, but for some reason the Jem seems to have chunkier neck profile than the others, which I seem to really like. Am I right in thinking the JEM is more D than super shallow C? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Ibanez brand name dates back to 1929 when Hoshino Gakki began importing Salvador Ibáñez guitars from Spain, so the plural is Ibaneth-eth-eth. :)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11026
    Probably the best advice I can think of is to give the blue one to me. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited December 2017

Jem and JS have slightly fatter necks than a lot of the other anorexic necks they do on their other rock machines. Still thin, but bearable. JS profile is more like a Strat but still a bit differenter. Jem feels a different shape more wider less meat...now that told ya nothing really! :lol: All the S540's I have had were super skinny. Not my bag anymore I likes a bit if chunk. 

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've got an RG870 and an RG IR20E (Iron Label).

The 870 has the 5 piece neck, I thought the same one they fit to the Jem, but I could be wrong.
    It's WAY wider and chunkier than the Iron Label, even from 6ft away you can see the difference in the fretboard width, especially at the nut.

The IL is 90's thin in profile whereas the RG is as you say, more like a D almost.

If I'm honest I prefer the RG but the IL is the one with EMG's so it's not my main guitar and I've been toying with the Idea of blocking the trem and using it for drop B tuning, so the narrow neck isn't such a problem.

For a player with small hands, the IL would be perfect.

My actual advice is to have @viz send me the Jem when he's finished with it.
    No Charge.

:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've been meaning to buy some digital Vernier calipers for ages.
    I'll get some next week and measure the necks on these two.

This (or another) thread could end up being a D-Base of Neck dimensions if everyone who joins in measures accurately.
    Would that be a useful thing to have here?
    Genuine question?
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    I'd like something along those lines for sure.. . Chunkiness database
    I've got 4 production guitars and one handmade.

I'll get some verniers next week and I'll ask Morgan about the best way to compile this.
    If my life depended on a spreadsheet, I'd just shoot myself.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
    I think Jems are 21mm deep at the nut as opposed to the anorexic RG550/Saber necks which were something daft like 17mm deep
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2769
    There must be a spec page somewhere - ken site and ibanezrules used to have tons of info.   
    I think they changed the jem profile slightly at some point but my blue one was definitely a lot bigger than my Jacksons and note of a D profile - not unlike some 80s charvels.  I prefer the more rounded shape on some of their other models but I miss my jem - if I see a blue on for a good price I’ll grab it.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    I was surprised recently when I played a JEM for the first time in years, that the neck was a good bit fatter than I expected/remembered. I used to own an RG750, and that was like a board ruler with strings on - I found it more or less unplayable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein