Removed Treble Pass/Bleed Cap and Resistor - Now got a strange warble sound???

What's Hot
So, tried a treble pass cap and res on my tele today. Gave it to a tech who did the soldering, got the guitar back, tried it but didn't like the new tone with the bleed kit - with the guitar vol maxed there was a harshness there that wasn't there before. Which is weird because I thought with it maxed the new cap and res should not have any effect. Then I sniped the cap and res off close to the solder to get it back to how it was before. Played a few chords and now I've got this mild, really annoying warble sound coming through the amp. It does not sound good, oh how I wish I'd not messed with it.

Any ideas?????

The tone before was perfect, I only wanted to try the treble kit to keep a bit more high end on the neck when the guitar vol is turned down. Things to note:

1) Amp tubes look fine, glowing at the normal colour
2) I have my pickups adjusted pretty low
3) I'm plugged straight into the amp, no pedals

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    Sounds like the pot may be damaged. If it's not making a good connection between the top terminal and the track board then it would have sounded harsh even with the volume control maxed.

If you have a pair of fine-nose pliers, try squeezing the terminal rivet hard onto the track board - you might be able to do that without taking the pot off the control plate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks @ICBM  - I'll try that now.

• @ICBM Unfortunately the warble is still there after squeezing the top terminal. I've also now noticed there is a faint, high pitched ringing at the end of a note or chord as well as the mild warble.
    Hmmm...

Are you sure it's definitely the guitar, and couldn't be a fault with the amp that's coincidentally occurred at the same time?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Hmmm...

Are you sure it's definitely the guitar, and couldn't be a fault with the amp that's coincidentally occurred at the same time?

Hmmmm... a bit like when you get your car back from the garage, and it has, coincidentally another problem since they fixed the first one  ;)

Really don't think it's the amp. Changed all the tubes not long ago, home use so not getting knocked about in vans, gigging, etc.
    edited December 2017
    Changing the valves means nothing unfortunately - new ones can just as easily be faulty. Do you have another amp or another guitar you can try? Or do you still have the old valves? If so, put them back and see if the problem stops.

From your description it sounds much more like an amp problem than the guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Play the guitar through another amp...
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Sounds like the pickup(s) might be too close to the strings.

There should be at least 2mm gap with the strings depressed at the last fret. If not, try lowering them and see if it’s any better.
  • ICBM said:
    Changing the valves means nothing unfortunately - new ones can just as easily be faulty. Do you have another amp or another guitar you can try? Or do you still have the old valves? If so, put them back and see if the problem stops.

From your description it sounds much more like an amp problem than the guitar.
    I didn't change the valves because of this issue, I changed them 6 months ago, amp running sweet since that time. The problem occurred as I said - yesterday treble pass fitted then taken out. Maynehead said:
    Sounds like the pickup(s) might be too close to the strings.

There should be at least 2mm gap with the strings depressed at the last fret. If not, try lowering them and see if it’s any better.
    Pickups are set low, always have been.
    Zoolooter said:

I didn't change the valves because of this issue, I changed them 6 months ago, amp running sweet since that time. The problem occurred as I said - yesterday treble pass fitted then taken out.
    Which does not mean the two things are necessarily related.

Given that the only thing that should have been disturbed by the mod is the volume pot, and that you've checked that it's probably OK, and that the description of the fault sounds much more like an amp fault than a guitar fault, it would be sensible to eliminate the amp first...

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31935
    Just plug it into a different amp, or a stereo, a soundbar, anything!