Dr Z Maz 18 jr. question

ash96ash96 Frets: 61
I know this is probably a stupid question, but is there any major differences in these 2 amps other than the aesthetics of the logo layout. One looks like it's probably an older version, but did the amp stay the same and the logo change or did they change some stuff in it too?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    on the newer one there is a footswitchable EQ bypass which sounds absolutely amazing!
    there may be other changes but thats the first that comes to mind
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7768
    The circuit remains completely the same, but yes the switchable EQ 'boost' is on the new ones (just removes the tone stack from the circuit when activated, and as a passive tone stack reduces overall gain you get an effective boost).

I was very close to getting the mod done to mine (original version) but realised after watching all the demos that I didn't actually like the sound (in the demos I stress - not heard it in person)  
    Red ones are better. 
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    Anyone know the rough 2nd hand prices for these?  (The older one)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ash96 said:
    Anyone know the rough 2nd hand prices for these?  (The older one)

Isn't @TimmyO selling his....
    oh really? there's one for sale near me at a decent price.... I may just pull the trigger!

• When they upgraded the MAZ line, they changed the logo (yay!), added the EQ bypass (which I don't use), the power cable became a detachable one, and I think they added the 16ohm speaker output.
  • And I have super-duper Tuki covers available for a MAZ head and cab (or the MAZ combo).

Quality stuff...better than any slip cover you'll get in the UK...PM me if interested.
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    I sold mine, which was a 2x10 new Dr Z 18 NR for £850. You get a lot of amp for the cash
    How much clean headroom do you get? are they giggable while still being able to roughly get a clean tone? most of my gigs are mic'd up but would be nice to have the option of gigging it without if I had to (I've never had my Fender HRD over about a 3rd).
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    edited March 2014
    They are loud. I get to stand next to one each week at rehearsal. Defintely giggable. Might break up a bit at louder volumes if you dont max the master. If you need more volume look at your cab, get something very efficient.
    Far louder than say a Deluxe Reverb - everyone has a different definition of both 'clean' and 'gig volume' but I'm still inclined to say yes
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27833
    Seriously loud as long as you don't want Twin-type cleans. Great master volume too if I remember from playing Tim's a couple of years back.

Wonderful amps and I intend to buy one as soon as I'm back in the UK again!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I think i'm going to pull the plug and get one. Noones ever complained about one and do be honest, I'm not expecting to get crystal cleans at massive volumes but as long as its not 'distorted' trying to compete with a drum kit for example. Like I say 90% of my gigs are mic'ed up so its not the end of the world...

Finally, whats the main tonal differences between 1x12 and 2x10?

.. Right! Who's selling one?!
    Well as you ask... :-)
    Red ones are better. 
    Did someone say the Non reverb ones break up a fair bit earlier than the reverb models?!

Other than that are they pretty much the same?
    There's a comparison vid on YT - hang on
    Red ones are better. 
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    i played the non reverb and reverb back to back in Peaches, and the NR seemed much fiercer to me.
     Its the one i preferred anyway.

• llewllew Frets: 78
    I'v had the nr 1x12 combo and I'm now using the reverb head into a 2x12 cab(both older model's without the eq bypass) you can't go wrong with either in my opinion. The nr definately has more gain but their both really versatile.
    I went for the reverb model in the end. And 1x 12. I want it purely for cleans so seemed like the best option. It sounds amazing so I'm more than happy with it!