Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

EHX Big Muff Op Amp reissue

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2914
    andyp said:
    TTBZ said:
    God that sounds great, maybe better than the green russian reissue.
    My thoughts exactly. :)

One of the two is getting bought before too long, I guess I'll have to try them together and see which I prefer.
    Please make a thread if you do get a chance to play them side by side - I'd be interested to hear the differences between the two!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I'm not sure I'm qualified enough for that at my level, but if I do manage to test them out, I will do that. :)

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    Interesting this is getting so much interest. People have been making Op amp Big Muff clones for years, which I'd wager are better than this EHX version will be, if my experience of their pedals is anything to go by. *With the exception of my big box Small Stone which I love.

Is it just that people weren't aware that Billy used this type of Muff? It's fairly common knowledge I believe. Another consideration is that I don't believe he used it live, cos it got lost in the mix. Triangle style muffs have been more popular for a reason...

Anyway, I'm sounding like a killjoy, so will shut up. It's a cheap way to relive that great album. Crank it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    ^ op-amp big muffs weren't made for long.  that's part of the thing.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7169
    I have a Euthymia ICBM for doing this, but I would still try one of these out as they look as though they will be fairly cheap Official RRP is $80.90 and so UK price should be similar I suppose
  • Hmm, I might get a Fuzzdog kit for £26 and rehouse it in my "ordinary" Big Muff...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    It’s good to see EHX making the different flavours of Big Muff - there’s a massive industry of folks trying to make improved versions so I guess it’s inevitable.

However, does this pedal only make that noise?
    If so... erm... I don't like it.
    I loved Siamese Dream but I can't see me wanting to make the same noises.

Perhaps a demo showing why this pedal is so revered what be useful - if its revered purely for that sound, then I'm surprised if I'm honest.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Is part of the point of an op amp fuzz that they aren't as fussy about where they are in the signal chain as germanium or silicon fuzzes? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Is part of the point of an op amp fuzz that they aren't as fussy about where they are in the signal chain as germanium or silicon fuzzes? 
    A bit, but transistor muffs aren't fussy where they are in the signal chain either.
    Is part of the point of an op amp fuzz that they aren't as fussy about where they are in the signal chain as germanium or silicon fuzzes? 
    Big Muffs generally are not typical of fuzz pedals.  They're more distortion-fuzz, anyway.  It's typically the 60s style fuzz circuits - and certain ones - that are most fussy about signal chain placement.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• I'd have thought that this would be ideal for people wanting that wall of fuzz that Big Muffs do so well, but without being totally lost in the mix - at least in the way that Rams Head and NYC Muffs usually are. In that respect, the tone bypass might be quite useful, as it is on the Tone Wicker version.
  • Red Apple in Belfast are taking pre-orders by the looks 
    https://reverb.com/uk/item/7746951-electro-harmonix-op-amp-big-muff-pi
    Full disclosure: I'm a terrible guitar player. Work for Reverb.com as their UK Marketing Director and prior to that was Head of Digital Marketing at Andertons for 6 years. 
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited December 2017
    jpttaylor said:
    I'd have thought that this would be ideal for people wanting that wall of fuzz that Big Muffs do so well, but without being totally lost in the mix - at least in the way that Rams Head and NYC Muffs usually are. In that respect, the tone bypass might be quite useful, as it is on the Tone Wicker version.
    I'd argue that the muff tone stack is a huge part of what makes a muff a muff. Indeed it's a lot of the reason that an IC muff sounds like a transistor one. You're absolutely right that the reason you disappear is the scooped mid nature of them and the bypass switch gets rid of that. But there are ways around that that preserve what I consider to be something that makes a muff fundamentally muffy. I've never been fond of the bypass switch...

Also all muffs play nice with other effects, they're not like old fuzzes, as someone has already said, they work like a fuzzy distortion. The op-amp version was really the most unloved one. Most people only get into them because they're chasing the SP sound. One thing they have in their favour though is that they're super consistent as there are no real variations of it, unlike other muffs that have many.
    How does an op-amp Big Muff sound compared the the core sound of the Way Huge Swollen Pickle (that's an op-amp BMP, too, right?) 

• antifashantifash Frets: 603
    impmann said:
    It’s good to see EHX making the different flavours of Big Muff - there’s a massive industry of folks trying to make improved versions so I guess it’s inevitable.

However, does this pedal only make that noise?
    If so... erm... I don't like it.
    I loved Siamese Dream but I can't see me wanting to make the same noises.

Perhaps a demo showing why this pedal is so revered what be useful - if its revered purely for that sound, then I'm surprised if I'm honest.
    This. 

I would've wanted this in the ‘90s but I can’t imagine using it now!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2914
    I've never liked the SP tone (too smooth) I just thought it sounded great in the video - bit more raw and crunchy than the tone on the albums imo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    crunchman said:
    Is this the one that @ICBM takes his username from?
    Yes :). Although mine is actually an original *Little* Big Muff - which unlike the modern ones is identical to a full-size one except that gain is preset full up (where else ;) ), and the tone switch goes from full down to full up. (I modded mine so it’s more like 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock.)

If you get lost in the mix with one of these you’re probably using too small an amp. They need a big, powerful amp with enough frequency range to not choke off the bass and treble if you set the pedal louder than your clean sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I know I never get on with Big Muffs, and I don't even like the SPs but that does sound glorious.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Ro_S said:
    How does an op-amp Big Muff sound compared the the core sound of the Way Huge Swollen Pickle (that's an op-amp BMP, too, right?) 
    WHSP is a traditional muff. There are really no variations on the Op-Amp muff out there apart from ours as far as I can tell (we do one with the UltraStoner tone stack and mids control). Oddly I've never put the WHSP into the muff spreadsheet. Might have to do that at some point and build one, I know it gets a lot of love.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited December 2017
    @TTBZ ;;

Don’t shoot if this is a terrible video as I’ve not watched it yet (poor signal), but this popped up on my YouTube feed just now. CME normally do pretty good videos so hopefully it's useful. I’ll watch later when I get back on 4G.

https://youtu.be/1u86hhaE-Jw

Andy