Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mourinho - what an ass

What's Hot

Comments

• Not cut from the right cloth?
    What are you on about? Would you like Moyes or Van Gaal back?
    Football is about winning, you are a lot closer to winning ways now than you have been since Ferguson retired.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27930

Him vs Dyche... I know who impresses me more.

Wis'd for that.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    wayneirie said:
    Second in the table, Through to the group stages of the Champions league. Won the league cup and the Big vase last year. Managed by one of the most successful managers in the modern game. Must be awful.
    They have entered a long period of decline and mediocrity.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23574
    axisus said:
    We may never hit the heights again, may never be the dominant force in the prem again, but we should play the right way, the Man U way - attacking football, not percentage football.
    Was there always a "Man U way", or was it just what people got used to under Ferguson?  He was there so long, I don't remember what they were like under Ron Atkinson or Dave Sexton, or whoever.

People always go on about the "so-and-so way", but I wonder if it's all a myth.  Like West Ham, they always moan about not playing the "West Ham way", but it seems to have been decades and dozens of managers since they actually did... at what point does the "West Ham way" become something else?
    West Ham are always blowing someone or something Man U fans just blow each other 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4th said:
    wayneirie said:
    Second in the table, Through to the group stages of the Champions league. Won the league cup and the Big vase last year. Managed by one of the most successful managers in the modern game. Must be awful.
    Not really clearly still one of the best sides in Europe/EPL. The football isn't particularly attractive. Still one of the biggest clubs in the world in terms of financial clout overseas supporters etc.

The "man u" way isn't a particularly a style of play. It seems to occur when they have exceptional players with an exceptional understanding of each other Best, Charlton etc. Giggs, Scholes, Beckham. The football has clearly improved under Mourinho especially against the smaller teams. If You're a Man U fan which would you prefer City carving you apart or on paper a narrow 1-2 loss? What Mourinho has achieved is making them difficult to beat, defensively solid (Although I would imagine they'd be a lot worse off without De Gea) And has got them back into winning ways. Pogba has been excellent this season although somewhat curtailed by injury and suspension. To Say they've entered a long period of decline and mediocrity is incorrect. Mourinho's already managed to get them back into winning habits. 

City are exceptional this Season, the improvement through the whole team. Especially the front line SIlva, Sterling, Sane, DeBruyne is down to Guardiolas coaching. They've solidified the backline with the addition of an excellent goal Keeper. Losing by a goal to the best team in Europe is not the end of the world. If It had been 2-1 to Man U no doubt Jose would of been praised to the rafters. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh no, it's sport. I'm outta here....
  • When he first came into the Prem about 13 or so years ago, I thought his post match interviews and pressers were entertaining. Over time though, he's just become an annoying, arrogant twat who moans at everything.

Paul Whitehouse's Jose Arragantio sketch character is modelled on him - worth a look ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    edited December 2017
    Also as an Arsenal fan I think Mourinho is a pretty mediocre manager.  Like stated previously, he's inherited quality teams and just steadied the ship to titles/trophies they should be winning then left, usually under a cloud of animosity. 

With the wealth of attacking talent he has, the best GK in the world, Matic, Pogba et al I think he should be doing better than he is.  People might point to City's astonishing wealth of players but Man United have also been on a massive spending spree and Pogba for £89m, Lukaku for £90m, they should be fairing a lot better than they are.

The difference between United and City is the manager.  You look at how Guardiola has turned Sterling from a dead weight, one trick pony player to a incredibly dangerous goal scorer brimming with confidence to someone like Marcus Rashford who, if Guardiola managed, we'd be mentioning in the same breath as Harry Kane in terms of "World Class" English strikers.  Guardiola has developed and coached so many good players in to great players.  He did the same with Kimmich at Bayern.  

Not saying Mourinho is a bad manager but City are making United look a bit of a laughing stock at the moment.  

I used to think Guardiola was a poseur, a show off and someone who, having managed one of the best Barcelona teams of a generation would be found it in the PL but in his second season he's showing what a brilliant manager he is, 15 consecutive wins, highest in English football league history.  Says it all really.

EDIT: Word Choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    @Arktik83 I agree with your whole post! Well said.
    wayneirie said:
    capo4th said:
    wayneirie said:
    Not really clearly still one of the best sides in Europe/EPL. The football isn't particularly attractive. Still one of the biggest clubs in the world in terms of financial clout overseas supporters etc.

The "man u" way isn't a particularly a style of play. It seems to occur when they have exceptional players with an exceptional understanding of each other Best, Charlton etc. Giggs, Scholes, Beckham. The football has clearly improved under Mourinho especially against the smaller teams. If You're a Man U fan which would you prefer City carving you apart or on paper a narrow 1-2 loss? What Mourinho has achieved is making them difficult to beat, defensively solid (Although I would imagine they'd be a lot worse off without De Gea) And has got them back into winning ways. Pogba has been excellent this season although somewhat curtailed by injury and suspension. To Say they've entered a long period of decline and mediocrity is incorrect. Mourinho's already managed to get them back into winning habits. 

City are exceptional this Season, the improvement through the whole team. Especially the front line SIlva, Sterling, Sane, DeBruyne is down to Guardiolas coaching. They've solidified the backline with the addition of an excellent goal Keeper. Losing by a goal to the best team in Europe is not the end of the world. If It had been 2-1 to Man U no doubt Jose would of been praised to the rafters. 
    What a load of United Mourinho tosh.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:

Produced success? Or been spoon fed it with an unlimited budget? Has he ever managed a club where he couldn't buy pretty much whoever he wanted? 

Yes - Porto. Success was limited to winning the league a few times, the Taça de Portugal, Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira, UEFA Champions League and UEFA Cup. Pretty crap really.

He inherited some decent players and managed to buy a few (some were out of contract) but he didn't have some bottomless pit of cash like he had at Chelsea.

Yes, in a league with relatively little competition, managing one of the two teams that could conceivably challenge for honours.

He was also a massive bell end, disrespecting the club and the fans with that "remove the medal" stunt.

I'd like to see him prove his management skills by actually managing a club in the button half of a league and see if he can actually manage.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1328
    I don't think a manager has to work with a middle of the table club to prove they can manage.

Plenty have come and gone at United since Ferguson, they are certainly better now than at any time since.  

Unfortunately United can not really affect the season that City are having and the old "big 4" of any season would be outmatched by City this year.  Take them out of the equation, imagine Pearce in charge of a top half City side and United would be praised for a really good first half of the season.

Success is always a relative term.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23574
    I'd like to see him prove his management skills by actually managing a club in the button half of a league and see if he can actually manage.
    He's welcome to try his luck at Swansea... I'm trying to imagine that and finding it absolutely impossible.

Anyway, to return to the thread title... he's a self-serving, petulant, mean-spirited, ungracious little shit.  That first spell at Chelsea, he had some wit and humour and seemed to create a real us-against-the-world bond with his players, but that's completely gone in recent years, even when things are going well.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I supposed it's worth remembering, he lives in a hotel away from his family (be it his choice or not), his father passed away recently, he was flying back to Portugal (I think) because he wife needed emergency surgery a few months back.

His job is to manage United, not be a nice person for the cameras.

Like a lot of footballers/managers, he does a lot of charity work which I always think is a good judge of person, regardless of finance.

Disclaimer 1: I'm a United fan
    Disclaimer 2: He is a bit of a misery 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I’ve always considered him the Neil Warnock of elite managers. Effective tactics but not the ones I’d like to see employed at my club. 

Really looking forward to the game next week, it’s been the best part of 25 years (almost my entire life!) since we had a genuinely exiting cup tie. 
  • Fretwired said:

If you win the Champions League with Porto, you can manage.  Inter to some extent also, they weren't in the top top bracket of funded teams when he won with them.  In European terms, Porto were bottom half of the league so he's allready ticked that box.  I'm not his Biggest fan, but he's a proven winner and like any top manager they have no reason to go to a club in the bottom half of the league.

capo4th said:
    wayneirie said:

Well, we'll see.  I don't know how 2nd in the league, through to the knock out stages of the champions league, holders of the league and UEFA cups can be defined as mediocrity.  It's certainly better than LVG and Moyes. 

The main issue for me is we look like a completely different team with Pogba and shouldn't have over realiance on one player like that.

• Arktik83 said:
    Also as an Arsenal fan I think Mourinho is a pretty mediocre manager.
    I'm sure you'd give anything for your manager to be mediocre ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
     Mourinho is effective but I'd hate him to be manger at my club. Which happens to be City..... :)