Recommendations for Nylon acoustics please (non-classical designs)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I started a new thread for pickups
    That sounds good

How do you manage phase issues?

Thanks - in terms of phase issues, very basic! If the addition of the mic seems to subtract from the tone I flip the phase invert switch on the mic preamp. Also pan each channel L/R, but I guess I should also sum to mono and check that too ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    and while I'm at it, what are the best pickups for nylon strungs?

I'm considering Matrix infinity 
    or a K&K pure mini

I would run this straight into an AxeFx2, which is an excellent preamp for acoustics in my experience
    Have a look at AER AK15/30 or Headway 
    I have a K&K trinity pro on an acoustic that does this (external mixer box though)
    I was just looking for non-mic this time though
  • and while I'm at it, what are the best pickups for nylon strungs?

or a K&K pure mini

I would run this straight into an AxeFx2, which is an excellent preamp for acoustics in my experience
    I have a K&K trinity pro on an acoustic that does this (external mixer box though)
    In which case Headway snakes have them on my fylde acoustic and an octave mandolin high output and great definition
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    and while I'm at it, what are the best pickups for nylon strungs?

or a K&K pure mini

In which case Headway snakes have them on my fylde acoustic and an octave mandolin high output and great definition
    I've had piezo ones on a few steel-strung guitars, I'm wondering if they would suit nylon strung as well
    My current theory is that a K&K pure mini could be the best for me because:
    1. less piezo fizz, which I assume is more important with rounded nylon string sounds. I can EQ it in my DAW or AxeFx2
    2. no controls on the sound hole to add weight to the soundboard
    3. far fewer wires, just the wire from the transducers to the endpin. I hate all the flappy noises when you move a guitar that has a volume control on the soundhole and a battery near the neck
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2797
    edited December 2017
    For a bit of variation: my performing guitars (singer-songwriter type stuff) are two Ovation nylon strings - one is a relatively recent 1863AX, the other a 1970s 1624 (which has been through the wars rather - the headstock is essentially a Frankenstein jigsaw of wood and glue, but it's solid as a rock, so I'm filing that as Vintage Mojo). 

The 1624 was apparently made for steel-string guitarists to transition to and is amazing to play, with a jazz-low action, thin neck and all-round satisfying feel to it. Very thin frets. The 1863AX was my preferred guitar until I got it, but forty years of repair and adjustment have given the 1624 a significant edge in the playing department. It also sounds lovely acoustic, albeit not like a classical guitar (a much plummier, jazzier sound, which happens to be what I want). One good thing about Ovation nylon string guitars is that they have truss rods in them, so the neck can be adjusted like a steel string guitar. 

Some advantages the 1863AX has are that it's a super-shallow bowl (the 1624 is sort of mid-depth), which Iike, has a cutaway and came with the fancy pre-amp (the 1624 is passive, though a very satisfying passive). 

The odd thing about the 1863AX was that the tuner buttons were a soft plastic that disintegrated within a couple of years. Everything else is pretty sturdy, though.

I sort of swap between them - sometimes I use one for a while, then the other and try to make sure I stagger string changes (which bugger up the tuning for at least a week). I'm tempted to take them both to someone who knows what they're doing and say "Make this [points at 1863AX] play like this [points at 1624]". 

Of course, Ovation is a fairly unusual taste, that I just happen to have, but you were asking about something different.
  • (And then I went to have a look, and it seems they don't make them any more anyway. Pfft.)
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Decided to go for this:
    Avalon Fusion, Spruce top, Auditorium body size, with a K&K mini pickup
  • Decided to go for this:
    Avalon Fusion, Spruce top, Auditorium body size, with a K&K mini pickup
    Nice choice. FWIW, I've got two acoustics with Pure Minis on.  The K&K preamp really improves things going into my audio interface or a PA. Didn't need it with a Fishman Loudbox, though. I'm suspecting it gives a good impedance match.