Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A Personal Holy Grail is up for sale...

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    I totally understand the dilemma but you're doing the right thing by walking away on this one.  Enjoy playing it in store while you have the chance then run out there and go find a decent CS Esquire like mine and don't look back:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    Hang on....

Blonde Esquire/Tele...

Guy in Care Home...

Owned by guy with RALPH in his name..

Just make sure you don't get into a guitar duel with Vai this afternoon OK.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    miserneil said:
    I knew it would be a terrible idea posting this here....

...where are all the “you could get 10 Custom shop’s for that money”, “Vintage is crap” crowd?? :D

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting.

Seriously, you're not in the financial league to buy this thing, so I'd just forget it.

(And vintage is crap, by the way. :) )

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    Does "sold on consignment" in this case mean that it's been taken by the police pending further enquiries?
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2523
    Wishing I still had Mick Ralphs 1984 52 reissue Tele, I could have sold to you for much less than £25k....but I sold it for £400 back in 1990. Chandlers used to get quite a few of his guitars in back then. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    Ravenous said:
    miserneil said:

...where are all the “you could get 10 Custom shop’s for that money”, “Vintage is crap” crowd?? :D

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting.

Seriously, you're not in the financial league to buy this thing, so I'd just forget it.

Well, thank you 'random person on the internet who thinks he knows my financial status', I will certainly consider you advice while playing my 1965 Telecaster, the best sounding and playing guitar I own and quite the opposite of 'crap' as it goes.... ;)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    miserneil said:
    Ravenous said:
    miserneil said:

Well, thank you 'random person on the internet who thinks he knows my financial status', I will certainly consider you advice while playing my 1965 Telecaster, the best sounding and playing guitar I own and quite the opposite of 'crap' as it goes.... ;)
    Erm..
    but in fact and in truth, I could NEVER afford it. 
    Make yer mind up, mate..
     :) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2017 tFB Trader
    usedtobe said:
    miserneil said:
    Ravenous said:
    miserneil said:

...where are all the “you could get 10 Custom shop’s for that money”, “Vintage is crap” crowd?? D

(And vintage is crap, by the way.  )

Well, thank you 'random person on the internet who thinks he knows my financial status', I will certainly consider you advice while playing my 1965 Telecaster, the best sounding and playing guitar I own and quite the opposite of 'crap' as it goes....
    Erm..
    but in fact and in truth, I could NEVER afford it. 
    Make yer mind up, mate..

Well.....never say...."NEVER".....you know...i mean NEVER is a long time....and there are more Mick owned guitars out there.....(and my wife was watching over my shoulder while I was typing that)
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It would be nice if you could get one that he currently or recently owned.
    I know it is not the classic line up but I have a soft spot for 'Drive On'
    tFB Trader
    It would be nice if you could get one that he currently or recently owned.
    I know it is not the classic line up but I have a soft spot for 'Drive On'
    Like this one you mean? (any excuse to post!) ;)

And yes, Drive On is a classic, one of the much missed Overend's finest moments IMO :)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • I don't think it's the same guitar, on live photo some of the wear below control plate seems to be missing? Now I can understand more wear but not less. 
  • I am lucky to have a brother that is 13 years older than me.  From I was a toddler, I had the Beatles, Stones, Small Faces and the Faces, the Who and Mott playing at home.  The two guitars panned hard left and right on The Great White Wail blew my teenage mind
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I don't think it's the same guitar, on live photo some of the wear below control plate seems to be missing? Now I can understand more wear but not less. 
    @koneguitarist ;The first, more recent picture of Mick they are using in their ad is a totally different guitar Taff, shows how much effort's gone into trying to offload a £25k guitar...
    (formerly miserneil)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15374
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Guys, many thanks for all the comments but you can all stand down now.

Spending 25k on that guitar was never on the cards for me, it was more a flight of fancy. I never REALLY had any intention of giving those people a penny (Had it have been 100% what I was after, I would have worked around that fairly easily), but in fact and in truth, I could NEVER afford it. I’ve got no ISA’s maturing, no long term works pension plan that will soon payout, I’m just a regular, self employed, guitar obsessed joe who works two jobs with a young family to support, who saw a guitar that he had lusted after for 22 years that helped make some of his favourite music and got a bit starry eyed...

I’m not a classic Music Ground ‘mark’, I know my shit, especially on this guitar and this “ain’t my first Rodeo, Cowboy”.

Also, due to the fact that I think Mick sold this guitar in the 80’s (he’s not personally owned it for a LONG time as far as I’m aware) and the fact that going from research the only things original to it in his time of ownership are the Body, Neck, Bridge and Tuners. I’m out.

I’m still going to attempt to go and play it, just to say I have and to appease my 14 year old self. But as for owning, no.

I still have Mick’s old R8 that was his main guitar for 10 years and was the guitar he was using when I first saw him live (and met him) for the first time so it’s not really a hardship!

Got a vintage esquire bug again now though.....

been away over the weekend so only just picked up this interesting blog - My gut feeling is you are now doing the right thing

If funds allowed and it played like I would hope, then many of us would enjoy owning a 50's Black Guard Tele, but I'm not sure I'd want to own my 'hero's guitar - It might suit them but not me

I've played the Pete Green /Moore LP and whilst it was  a special moment to spend 15/20 mins with it, I can't say it was a 'great guitar' to play in my opinion - But there is some mystic in owning it, if you could, even as part of an ego based desire - I had the lust for an original 59/60 dot 335 a long while ago, when they were about 2K - acquired one but never ever got on with it, so sold at a later date - It taught me to buy what makes me happy once I play it, hear it and feel it and not get 'hooked' on pipe dreams - I suppose pipe dreams are what they are and easy to get hooked on them, but let reality take over once you've played it  and then decide that it is to be purchased

Will be interesting to hear your comments after you've played it so update accordingly - speak soon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:
    I don't think it's the same guitar, on live photo some of the wear below control plate seems to be missing? Now I can understand more wear but not less. 
    @koneguitarist ;The first, more recent picture of Mick they are using in their ad is a totally different guitar Taff, shows how much effort's gone into trying to offload a £25k guitar...
    Just another reason not to buy from them. You cannot trust what you are buying.
    no matter how cheap you get it for, that niggle of doubt will be in your head. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    koneguitarist said:

Just another reason not to buy from them. You cannot trust what you are buying.
    no matter how cheap you get it for, that niggle of doubt will be in your head. 
    You will never get anything cheap from them unless it’s fake or stolen, or in some other way misrepresented. And even then it won’t be cheap.

There is no price for anything they're  selling which is worth paying. Don’t kid yourself - if you hand over money, you’ve been ripped off.

They are simply lying, cheating crooks - “The Supreme C**ts Of Rock’n’Roll”, as their ad banner says.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    miserneil said:
    Ravenous said:
    miserneil said:

@miserneil, I owe you an apology.  No offence was intended - I thought from the content of your earlier posts you WERE not in the league to afford this sort of thing, you'd have to sell everything else to get it, and your finances are of course none of my business.

(And the "vintage is crap" comment was a joke - enjoy your tele.)

edited December 2017 tFB Trader
    Ravenous said:
    miserneil said:
    Ravenous said:
    miserneil said:

...where are all the “you could get 10 Custom shop’s for that money”, “Vintage is crap” crowd?? D

(And vintage is crap, by the way.  )

Well, thank you 'random person on the internet who thinks he knows my financial status', I will certainly consider you advice while playing my 1965 Telecaster, the best sounding and playing guitar I own and quite the opposite of 'crap' as it goes....

@miserneil, I owe you an apology.  No offence was intended - I thought from the content of your earlier posts you WERE not in the league to afford this sort of thing, you'd have to sell everything else to get it, and your finances are of course none of my business.

(And the "vintage is crap" comment was a joke - enjoy your tele.)

It’s all good @Ravenous, re-reading my reply and previous posts, I can see where I was misleading and my reply to you is far too curt so, I should also apologise, it was meant tongue in cheek also!

Anyway, my ‘secret shopper’ request to go and try the guitar has been ignored, it’s only a few parts of the guitar that played on my favourite records, I am not or will not ever buying anything from the Harrison’s and their various sock puppet shops so it’s time to wrap this up.

Many thanks to everyone who egged me on or urged caution, it was all very much appreciated! Including the 3 messages I got from pals off here urging me to ‘pull the trigger’....I can assure you, if that guitar appeared on a stand in the office, the only person pulling a trigger would have been my ever supportive wife!
    (formerly miserneil)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom