Celestion G12 16ohm cone repair

fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4162
So i have a celestion G12 16ohm  30W speaker from the 70s or 80s with a tear in the cone. 

(I have 3 others that work fine and sound awesome in my custom cabs. )

1. Can these things be successfully repaired
2. Is the cost of repair alot less than cost of a new speaker ( enough to justify getting it repaired)
3. Anyone recommend where to get it repaired. 

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    How bad is the tear, and where is it? If it's less than about 2" long and doesn't go into the edge surround they can usually be repaired fairly successfully.

I use a sort of 'papier maché' approach with a piece of black artist's paper (or better still, a piece from a dead speaker of the same size, but I know most people don't have those to hand!) torn to the rough shape of the tear and overlapping about half an inch on both sides, soaked with diluted PVA glue until it's really soft, and then moulded onto the torn cone - preferably on the back.

If that isn't something you want to try yourself, it's most likely going to cost about £20 if you can find someone who will do it - it's not a big job. If that doesn't look likely to be possible then the only solution is a re-cone, which will cost a fair fraction of the price of the speaker unless it's something really valuable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1530
    edited December 2017
    A donor cone works really well if you have one lying around. Tear a piece off and break it down into thin layers. Just enough to cover the tear front and back. Match it with the ribbing on the cone and it will look almost invisible when it has dried. Make sure the patch edges are rough (torn, not cut straight) and they will blend into the original cone nicely. Use a water based white glue and dilute it.
  • Aha thanks.   It's stored at my folks place shoo next time I'm there ill pick out up and see if i can have a crack at repairing it.  Thanks