Question about Using the Pre-Amp

asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
My current amp is a Blackstar ID30 which i bought for the emulated out for recording.

I presume the emulated out uses just the pre-amp.

I have a chance of getting a Mesa Boogie Express 5/25 which i would use with an Attenuator
so i could also D.I.the sound.

I think this would also only use the pre-amp of the Boogie.

Now the question.

Given that both amps will only use the pre-amp for recording,would the Mesa sound
considerably better than the Blackstar?

Used for clean sounds only at the moment.

Thanks

Alan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1677
    asimmd said:
    My current amp is a Blackstar ID30 which i bought for the emulated out for recording.

I presume the emulated out uses just the pre-amp.

I have a chance of getting a Mesa Boogie Express 5/25 which i would use with an Attenuator

Now the question.

Given that both amps will only use the pre-amp for recording,would the Mesa sound

Used for clean sounds only at the moment.

Thanks

Alan

The Mesa would probably be better at many things but at a grand an a half I should bloody think so! Comparing apples and Range Rovers here!

The ID might be more versatile and is of course an AI in its own right. Keep 'em both!

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    edited March 2014
    asimmd said:

No, that would use the power amp as well, if you took the DI signal from the attenuator. You could take the output from the FX send if you wanted, which would just use the preamp. But neither of these are emulated.

asimmd said:

Unlikely to even sound as good, since it wouldn't be emulated.

The Mesa is a very different amp from the Blackstar, arguably better for some things - and certainly "higher quality", as it should be given the price difference as Dave said - but direct recording is not one of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Thanks,looks like i am staying with the Blackstar,which i don't mind.

I suppose i could turn the question round and ask which amp would give me a nicer/better
    sound.

• @assimmd, please pardon me for hijacking your thread, but how did that reamp I did for you workout?
    asimmd said:
    I suppose i could turn the question round and ask which amp would give me a nicer/better
    sound.

In the room? The Mesa, most likely - particularly if not at very low practice volume.

Recorded via DI? The Blackstar, almost certainly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Hi Chris,I think we are talking Kemper and through no fault of yours I didn't find enough difference To make me want to get one. Considering I only record in the bedroom,I looks like I am sticking with Blackstar.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10018
    Depends on the DI maybe? You can get the H&K Red Box which is a DI with cab emulation (i think you get to choose between different cab types too)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Thanks for the replies,now for an alternative.

How about me using a Palmer PGA-04 with a Mesa Boogie Express 5/25.

Would that give me a better sound than the Blackstar.

asimmd said:
    How about me using a Palmer PGA-04 with a Mesa Boogie Express 5/25.

Would that give me a better sound than the Blackstar.

Probably not - I've never been very impressed with the sound of Palmer stuff - and the H&K Red Box I had was only 'OK' rather than great, too - but a Sequis Motherload might. And is a load box too, so although it's expensive it would kill two birds with one stone.

By a curious coincidence I may be selling mine…

;)

It's fantastic, but I just don't really have any practical use for it.

• What sort of sound do you want?
    Clean sound,think Marvin and Telecaster Country guitar sound. No overdrive I have my Bad Monkey for that if needed.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
    edited March 2014
    Ahhh yes.  

Not sure if it would be perfect, I've never used one, but it's a cheap version of the Tech 21 pedal.  

Maybe look at youtube videos - check to see if it's Emulated Out on the demo.

EDIT WRONG PEDAL I meant this http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/joyojf13acac30tonesimulationpedal-p-3613.html?currency=GBP as I think they used to use an AC30. 

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hi TPD I had looked at those but thought they were a bit cheap to be of much use.I will look on Youtube for a demo.Mind you,I thought that about the Bad Monkey pedal and that's excellent. I do have Recabinet and the excellent Redwirez Vox and Fender IR's. Logic has a Convolution Reverb to load the Redwirez into,and also Amp Designer which I discovered today. So emulated out is not a priority,I don't use Redirez or Recabinet because I can't turn the Cab Emulation off on the Blackstar. I suppose like everyone else I am looking for something just that bit better than what I have,I looked at the ToneKing demo in another thread and that is brilliant. I also like Two Rock Studio 22/35,but whether the grass is greener,I don' know,they all sound so much better than what I have. Any suggestions do not necessarily need to be emulated out. I have Redwirez Vox and Fender
  • asimmd said:
    Hi TPD I had looked at those but thought they were a bit cheap to be of much use.I will look on Youtube for a demo.Mind you,I thought that about the Bad Monkey pedal and that's excellent. I do have Recabinet and the excellent Redwirez Vox and Fender IR's. Logic has a Convolution Reverb to load the Redwirez into,and also Amp Designer which I discovered today. So emulated out is not a priority,I don't use Redirez or Recabinet because I can't turn the Cab Emulation off on the Blackstar. I suppose like everyone else I am looking for something just that bit better than what I have,I looked at the ToneKing demo in another thread and that is brilliant. I also like Two Rock Studio 22/35,but whether the grass is greener,I don' know,they all sound so much better than what I have. Any suggestions do not necessarily need to be emulated out. I have Redwirez Vox and Fender
    Those demos are all mic'd up with a quality mic, preamp etc.  You just can't get that from an emulated out.

Cheap does *not* mean bad.  If you like the Joyo, you could look into getting the real one - the Tech 21 Liverpool.  Or, just try that one off the bat.  I think the demo I posted above speaks for itself - it sounds good. 
  • In this demo, it's all DI (with reverb pedal, too).  There is no amp at all - just guitar -> emulation -> reverb -> recording desk.  

Sorry,I didn't notice it was a demo. Now I have listened to it it's quite impressive,I am going to listen to the Tech 21 Liverpool Pedal now. Thanks