New Blackstar amps - 10th Anniversary Valve Combos

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
These amps look interesting ... like the sound of the low gain one ..

https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/ranges/10th-anniversary

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 70/80 speakers.

W.T.F.

*sigh*
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3214
    tFB Trader
    Weren’t these announced earlier in the year?
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    RiftAmps said:
    According to Andertons only just released.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • RiftAmps said:
    Yes, there was a thread here a while back about them but they have only just been released

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/108116/single-ended-blackstars/p1

• Their deception that they are built In uk really annoys me. 
  • 70/80 speakers.

W.T.F.

*sigh*

I think it's like when you buy a nice car and realise you had to pay extra to get s spare wheel.  The 70/80 will get you home, but then you swap for your speaker of choice.
  • you can take the 70/80 out, use it as an ashtray and fit a decent speaker, amazing that garbage like rocket 50 and ,70/80 are still even being used nowadays.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    you can take the 70/80 out, use it as an ashtray and fit a decent speaker, amazing that garbage like rocket 50 and ,70/80 are still even being used nowadays.
    They are excellent

for replacing blown speakers in cheap old amps that don't warrant anything better.

:)

But I agree it's baffling that Blackstar are still using them, especially in something that seems to be marketed as a bit of a premium product. I really do wonder if it's a deliberate choice - they do seem to like that stiff, flat sound which the 70/80 (although not the Rocket 50, admittedly) really brings out.

It's not even as if there aren't much better alternatives that don't cost a fortune now, like the V-Type.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1664
    edited December 2017
    ICBM said:
    you can take the 70/80 out, use it as an ashtray and fit a decent speaker, amazing that garbage like rocket 50 and ,70/80 are still even being used nowadays.
    They are excellent

for replacing blown speakers in cheap old amps that don't warrant anything better.

But I agree it's baffling that Blackstar are still using them, especially in something that seems to be marketed as a bit of a premium product. I really do wonder if it's a deliberate choice - they do seem to like that stiff, flat sound which the 70/80 (although not the Rocket 50, admittedly) really brings out.

It's not even as if there aren't much better alternatives that don't cost a fortune now, like the V-Type.

Said it before IC, what seems 'cheap' at retail, even 'trade' prices and quantities can be very different from  the deal a manufacturer might do? We shall never know!

Also old information but the speaker is at least something easily changed though it seems other peeps in the thread think that could be a mistake in some cases?

In 'my time' with the company the 'sound' of an amp was only signed off by a couple of directors, the MD having the final say. Obviously you and Ian do not agree!

As for "British"? WTF do you think all the valves come from for everybody and most of the transformer are Chinese!

But! I am never going to like an SE amp. Poor engineering IMHO.

Dave.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31922
    Five hundred quid for a Chinese practice amp with a single preamp valve? 

We all love a solid state overdrive circuit in front of a proper valve amp, but not instead of half of it. 

I've never looked at Blackstar prices before, having played through a couple of borrowed ones I always assumed they were teenage amps at teenage prices, ouch!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Disappointing that the little S1 isn't really a little S1, all the features of a S1-45 (3 channels, midi)  in a little 1x12 combo would have got me interested,.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1664
    John_A said:
    Disappointing that the little S1 isn't really a little S1, all the features of a S1-45 (3 channels, midi)  in a little 1x12 combo would have got me interested,.

Yes, good idea. A lot of companies of fairly complex and expensive products such as AIs, pre amps, mixers have 'slimmed down' the facilities but kept the core ideas at a lower price.  When the 'Artists' were first announced I thought they would be a PCB version of the Artisans  but ditching the rect' valve (MUCH cheaper PT) and fitting an FX loop. It isn't...It IS good I think but is based on the HT-40.

Dave.