Photography without Adobe?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    not as a professional, but I use PSP 7 and strangely, the Win7pro's Windows Live Gallery- Fix- Auto Exposure tool! Works brilliantly!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

For trickier RAW files I use Capture One. But mostly use Affinity. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    Grunfelod said:
    I'm thinking of purchasing new raw and in depth editing software in order to save some money by getting out of the Adobe workflow (about a tenner a month).

Has anyone done this? If so, what did you use? I use Lightroom for file management and raw processing, and Photoshop for retouching and selective sharpening (this only applies to 5-10 percent of my images). 
    Avoid Aftershock like the plague.
    I got it for much the same reasons as you've mentioned.
    I went for Aftershock 3, whatever the top tier was and basically it left artefacts on many images once you convert back to jpeg. 
    Do you mean Aftershot?. Not experienced that problem myself but I don't use it much as I have a copy of PS Cs5 which I'm familiar with and use it most.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431

The two things I really like about Lightroom are the excellent cataloging system and, particularly, the non-destructive editing. I've not yet seen better cataloging nor am I aware of any other editing packages being non-destructive.

I tried DxO Pro for a while and that was excellent and in a number of ways better than LR for editing but didn't have such a good cataloging system. And it's a huge chore to build new catalogs.

I have a resistance to cloud based and subscription systems having experienced first-hand what AutoDesk did with their CAD packages. At present I'm still using LR6 because it handles my camera and lenses, which I'm perfectly happy with. Having to move to CC would be quite an disincentive to changing camera, etc, although I'll probably reach that hurdle at some point in time.

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    boogieman said:
    Budgie said:
    I’d stick with CC ps and lr. It does what it needs to do and does it well... well, I haven’t experienced anything to make me want to move to another system anyway.

I also don’t have a problem with the monthly subscription. When you factor in buying the software outright and then subsequent upgrade costs, it seems pretty affordable?

I’m also too lazy to learn another system
    I guess it depends what you’re using the software for. I only use mine to do fairly basic things like adjusting white balance, levels, sharpening, cropping etc. I can’t justify paying a monthly outlay on that. Paintshop Pro works perfectly well enough for me anyway. I can see the need for something more powerful if you’re a pro or sell your pictures. 
    Indeed. The OP already subs to CC I think. I like delving into the features on both LR and PS and don’t feel I need to be a pro photographer to get my money’s worth tbh. I do use it professionally for other things but remain a keen amateur with photography. Horses for courses.
  • Budgie said:
    boogieman said:
    Budgie said:
    I’d stick with CC ps and lr. It does what it needs to do and does it well... well, I haven’t experienced anything to make me want to move to another system anyway.

I also don’t have a problem with the monthly subscription. When you factor in buying the software outright and then subsequent upgrade costs, it seems pretty affordable?

I’m also too lazy to learn another system
    I guess it depends what you’re using the software for. I only use mine to do fairly basic things like adjusting white balance, levels, sharpening, cropping etc. I can’t justify paying a monthly outlay on that. Paintshop Pro works perfectly well enough for me anyway. I can see the need for something more powerful if you’re a pro or sell your pictures. 
    Indeed. The OP already subs to CC I think. I like delving into the features on both LR and PS and don’t feel I need to be a pro photographer to get my money’s worth tbh. I do use it professionally for other things but remain a keen amateur with photography. Horses for courses.

Yes, I do. I like it - I just wish it was not a subscription as I've not used it tons recently. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    hywelg said:
    Do you mean Aftershot?. Not experienced that problem myself but I don't use it much as I have a copy of PS Cs5 which I'm familiar with and use it most.
    Thank you!  I do indeed mean AfterShot!  By Corel. 
    I just wanted something to work with RAW files -- which I'd never done before -- and on paper AfterShot seemed okay. 
    I don't take nearly enough photos to justify Adobe and their bloody subscription model so I wanted a stand alone, no sub, proggie that I could dip into at a hobbyist level.  How hard should that be?
    But AS consistently added artefacts e.g. like straight lines across the pics, which made it useless.  I googled the hell out of it and (a) wasn't alone; (b) never found an answer.
    Hey ho.