cheap ukeleles

What's Hot
imaloneimalone Frets: 748
edited March 2014 in Acoustics
As per subject...
A friend's stag party is coming up and for reasons a uke might be a good thing to have along. If it survives (odds are it will) it might be nice to have a usable one. On the other hand a couple of hundred pounds on a high end one would not be a great idea (especially as I'm not terribly set on having a uke) any decent cheap ukes? Have read discouraging reviews for the tanglewood TU6.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72719
    Mahalo ones aren't bad. My kids have a couple of the funny graphic ones which are about £25, and I've got a Koa wood one that was about £90.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12009
    must be an ebay quest?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    ICBM said:
    Mahalo ones aren't bad. My kids have a couple of the funny graphic ones which are about £25, and I've got a Koa wood one that was about £90.
    Thanks!

must be an ebay quest?
    Point. Though still handy to know which ones to look for.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    ICBM;181418" said:
    My cheap Maholo uke does not stay in turn at all! Any way to get it to?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Are the strings still very new?

What are you tuning it to? (G C E A or A D F# B?)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    I've been thinking about this - what's the ukulele equivalent of the £200 price point of far eastern guitars? You know when they move beyond junk and start to be decent budget instruments (solid top, laminate back and sides things from Sigma, Recording King, The Loar etc).

I have two nieces who are very interested in music and somebody suggested they'd enjoy a ukelele for Christmas and asked me how much they cost. They cost anything from £20 to £1000+ but when do they cross the line from toy to something you could persevere with?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    ICBM;181667" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

Are the strings still very new?

What are you tuning it to? (G C E A or A D F# B?)
    just the original strings it came with. I don't think they ever held well or played in either. I haven't picked it up for months but I think GCEA.
    Fairly sure new strings would help!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    My son's got one of those Maholo ones - just keep tuning it up, the strings keep stretching for weeks, but they do eventually settle down.
    edited March 2014
    just the original strings it came with. I don't think they ever held well or played in either. I haven't picked it up for months but I think GCEA.
    Fairly sure new strings would help!
    Mine all have the original strings on and they're fine.

They do take a while to stretch in though, like all nylon strings.

thermionic said:
    I've been thinking about this - what's the ukulele equivalent of the £200 price point of far eastern guitars? You know when they move beyond junk and start to be decent budget instruments (solid top, laminate back and sides things from Sigma, Recording King, The Loar etc).

I have two nieces who are very interested in music and somebody suggested they'd enjoy a ukelele for Christmas and asked me how much they cost. They cost anything from £20 to £1000+ but when do they cross the line from toy to something you could persevere with?
    I would say my £90 one is a proper instrument and not a toy, probably about what you mean as the equivalent of a £200 guitar.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2938
    Lag do ukes at most price-points, if they're as good as their guitars they'll be mustard.
  • Hi there, I recently purchased a Makalo Dolphin for around £32 and bought new strings for about £4. After about an evening of hardcore playing (if you can do such a thing on a ukulele!) the strings are pretty stable now. A great sound for such a low price and it even has a little dolphin as the bridge!

Highly recommend them for the price, the surprisingly good sound and the beautiful array of colours you can buy them in.

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1452
    I bought a Bruko for around £70 - all solid woods and hand made in the uke capital of the world.....  Germany.  Looks like Thomann have stopped selling them now though, so no help whatsoever.  ;-)

It's a good instrument though, well built.