C18Q1 Learn electronics and build a pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I’m still working through a bunch optotrons from 1776 effects which use h11f1 opto couplers 

http://1776effects.com/product/opto-tron-optical-bypass/

I have got some of the optopuss boards from fuzzdog though and they use TLP222G which you can get from RS.  They’re both spot on and the fuzzdog’s work out a bit cheaper overall on postage and the price of the optocouplers themselves.  

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/optocouplers/0207585/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    Finished the Deep Blue Delay a couple of days ago:

blue_guts

blue

New things for me are:
    • Now using 7/0.2 stranded wire for interconnects. Solid core is nice but kept breaking at the weak points.
    • Bought some Irwin wire strippers - faster than using a scalpel!
    • Ordered a load of pots and knobs from Tayda - quality of these is fine
    • My soldering on the vero is still a little sloppy. This is because I can't see it that well, so still investigating which magnifying lamp to buy
    • The "theory" part of this challenge has taken a back seat as I get to grips with all of the practical issues
    • Going to experiment with Envirotex for finishing

Next pedal is going to be a heart-throb tremolo...

• I like that DBD!  Nice colors and graphics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    All my graphics are intentionally cheap and cheesy. ;-)

Here's a new build, it's a Jan Ray clone:

jan_ray

jan_ray_guts
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1252
    Embrace the Cheap and cheesy!

Looking good.
    Looking good Phil I love the DBD graphics.  Im going to be building a Jan Ray myself in a week or two I’m just trying to decide whether to build it on vero or get a pcb from Rullywow.  
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    edited February 2018
    Maplins sell bags of assorted components for reasonable money. Bags of resistors, capacitors etc. Might be useful for pedal builders/experimenters. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    Maplins sell bags of assorted components for reasonable money. Bags of resistors, capacitors etc. Might be useful for pedal builders/experimenters. 
    You have to be really careful with these kinds of bundles quite often the sizes or voltages are much too large for pedal builders.  There’s not an awful lot of room in a 1590bb.  I bought some multi packs early on when I started and most of it was just unusable.  
    Adam_MD said:
    Rocker said:
    You have to be really careful with these kinds of bundles quite often the sizes or voltages are much too large for pedal builders.  There’s not an awful lot of room in a 1590bb.  I bought some multi packs early on when I started and most of it was just unusable.  
    Yep, me too. I learned the hard way to read the data sheet for components, especially caps. (Wanna buy some 1uF 100V Polyester film caps (16mm L x 13mm H))?
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Philtre said:
    All my graphics are intentionally cheap and cheesy. ;-)

Here's a new build, it's a Jan Ray clone:

@Philtre Like the knobs, are those the ones from Tayda?

By the way, you seem to be incredibly productive, you must have a load more spare time than me!
    @aord43 Yes, they came from Tayda. The quality seems the same as the knobs from Bitsbox.

As for productivity, I blame it on it being an addictive hobby!

Since my last post I've been as busy as ever. Ordered a load more components, bought a nice soldering iron (https://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fx888d.html) and built some more pedals.

I built the tremolo from http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/heartthrob-tremolo.html

And with the usual cheesy hand-painted graphics:

Image2

Image1

I've also built a Fuzz Factory but I'll wait until the coloured knobs arrive from Tayda before posting piccies of that one.

Currently working on the Madbean Gravity Wave (http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/madbean-gravity-wave-earthquaker.html) - this one has Envirotex as a coating which I'm now waiting for it to cure.

Fun, eh? :-)
    Blimey you don't stop, do you?!  Very pretty :)
    I have an order out with Tayda, still waiting for stuff to arrive.  Do you normally use normal postage service, and how long do they take in your experience?
    I am going to make a Keeley 4-knob compressor.  My most ambitious project yet, in terms of most pots and biggest board. Plus the CA3080 is not available (not cheaply, anyway) so I will have a little daughterboard with an LM13700 on it: http://effectslayouts.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/lm13700-to-ca3080-conversion-board.html ;
    @aord43

With Tayda make sure you only use the slow delivery option. If you use DHL you will incur tax and duties. Sometimes, with bigger orders, you'll see that the DHL delivery option is actually cheaper but don't be tempted. A Google search will show how people have been stung for import duty and taxes. My first Tayda order took 18 days, and my second order took 14 days. Also, only order when they have a 15% discount coupon, which is about twice a month.

Good luck with the Keeley. Which PCB project are you using?

BTW, this is the result of using the Envirotex. It's a Madbean Gravity Wave:

Image1
    I really like that Phil.  I’m hopeless at anything art related I can barely draw stickmen so have to use decals for all of mine.

Any gut shots?  Did you use a pcb from madbean or did you use vero? 
    @Adam_MD It's the vero layout from tagboardeffects:

Image1

A couple of issues with it - the LFO rate was too fast so had to replace a cap with a higher value; my offboard wires were too short in some cases and so had to do them again (and again when I soldered the in the wrong holes). Good job I stocked up on desoldering wick!

BTW - I went back and drilled out the 3mm hole for the LED. There was a small bubble trapped in that part of the epoxy that messed with my OCD. ;-)

I'm now a big fan of Envrirotex (thanks to you, Colin!)
    Oh, and notice the 16-pin DIL used for the 14-pin IC. I didn't have a 14 pin DIL at the time. ;-)
    Lookin good Phil.  I’m just passing on knowledge I picked up from Juansolo and cleggys excellent guides and the Madbean forum.  
    @Philtre Yes I chose the slow delivery option. It's not yet two weeks so I am being patient.  I didn' know about the 15%, thanks for the tip!
    I am using the tagboardeffects layout: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/keeley-4-knob-compressor.html
    That envirotex looks great, maybe will try it if I can come up with a good top design.
    @aord43 Forgot to mention that the 15% codes are only announced on their FB page -  https://www.facebook.com/TaydaElectronics

I was thinking of having a go at that Keeley 4-knob - are you using a LM3080 chip? If so, where did you get it from?