Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

When did you decide you didnt want to be Yngwie Malmsteen ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2250
    edited January 2018
    Hmm, I still want to be like yngwie.... a little bit I guess....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Danny1969 said:
    One thing I would add is his vibrato is pretty impressive as well, I like that single coil tone too.
    His vibrato is the best thing about his playing. It's superb.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    Bucket said:
    Danny1969 said:
    One thing I would add is his vibrato is pretty impressive as well, I like that single coil tone too.
    True, but with 8s on a scalloped fretboard my cat could get pretty good vibrato going 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7 said:
    Bucket said:
    Danny1969 said:
    True, but with 8s on a scalloped fretboard my cat could get pretty good vibrato going 
    I think not. But I'll stand corrected if you can post a clip of you doing it and prove me wrong.
    It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited January 2018
    Fishboy7 said:
    Bucket said:
    Danny1969 said:
     scalloped neck makes vibrato a whole lot easier, and 8 gauge strings tuned to E flat, need I go on ?  id like to hear his vibrato on a  stock tele tuned to E and  strung with 11-49, im sure it would be markedly different.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Fishboy7 said:
    Bucket said:
    Danny1969 said:
     scalloped neck makes vibrato a whole lot easier, and 8 gauge strings tuned to E flat, need I go on ?  id like to hear his vibrato on a  stock tele tuned to E and  strung with 11-49, im sure it would be markedly different.
    I'm fairly certain that he'd manage it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    phenomenal technician , great vibrato , changed my opinion on strat sounds completely but desperately needed a band with musicians who could write songs and control his ego - on his own he's a total spinal tweet  without any humour / self awareness ..
  • warheadwarhead Frets: 98

Fishboy7 said:
    Bucket said:
    Danny1969 said:

I always thought people get/set up their equipment the way it fits them, in order to get the best/easiest results......didn`t know we should get/set up our equipment to make playing harder on ourselves??
    I`d love to see how would Billy Gibbons play on 27.5 scale guitar with 13-70 gauge strings tuned to E.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    warhead said:

Fishboy7 said:
    Bucket said:
    Danny1969 said:

I always thought people get/set up their equipment the way it fits them, in order to get the best/easiest results......didn`t know we should get/set up our equipment to make playing harder on ourselves??
    I`d love to see how would Billy Gibbons play on 27.5 scale guitar with 13-70 gauge strings tuned to E.
    I really don't understand holding that against him, if I thought changing my set up would make achieving what I wanted any easier I'd do it instantly.

As much as I am impressed by good musicians, I'm not listening for the purpose of being impressed by someone doing something difficult, I'm purely listening to what I like to hear.

I wasn’t being serious – my cat can’t even play guitar, he mostly plays bongos. 

Seriously I would struggle to play anything on 8s, tuned down on a scalloped neck.  Yngwie must have a super light touch.  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2224
    edited January 2018
    Fishboy7 said:

Damn, I was looking forward to seeing a video of a cat playing guitar. It would be good to see a bongos clip though.

It's not a competition.
  • Fishboy7 said:

Seriously I would struggle to play anything on 8s, tuned down on a scalloped neck.  Yngwie must have a super light touch.  

yngwies axe would like playing a guitar strung with strandsof spaghetti, id just say feck it and add some tomato and basil sauce and have them for lunch
  • Fishboy7 said:

that song is just horrendous on many levels
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

I was impressed by what I read about Yngwie - until I actually heard it. (Might have been on Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show, it was around that era.)

Somehow all those notes seemed better written down - not much point when they're played too fast to hear :(

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Fishboy7 said:

Wisdom - isn't it just. Ignoring the unmemorable detritus of a composition, that has is some of the worst production I've heard for a long time, sounds like it was mixed through a Goodmans Midi sytem purchased from Argos in 1986.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited January 2018
    Octafish said:
    Fishboy7 said:

Wisdom - isn't it just. Ignoring the unmemorable detritus of a composition, that has is some of the worst production I've heard for a long time, sounds like it was mixed through a Goodmans Midi sytem purchased from Argos in 1986.
    graham bonnet is singing like he had been stabbed in the throat the previous day, i do like yng's playing on hiroshima and find it pretty tasty.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    edited January 2018
    I’ve never wanted to be a ‘look how many notes I can play per second’ type of player. That kind of playing leaves me cold. I’d much rather play fills instead of solos, and prefer players like Robert Cray, Peter Green, etc.

Sadly just about all the players I've ever wanted to be have suffered personal tragedies such as Clapton (death of son), Parfitt (death of daughter), Peter Green (mental health issues). No matter what level of talent, skill, fame, worldly goods it might bring I wouldn’t swap places with any of them.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Well for me the Miestro Alex Gregory was the turning point for me, :D
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1826
    Neill said:
    Some years ago (I think it was) Guitar magazine put the speed gun on ten guitarists who folk had suggested were the fastest players.  It was a bit tongue in cheek but they devised a way of measuring notes per second.  IIRC Malmsteen didn't even make the top five.
    I recall that when the charity song Stars was recorded there was a shred off between the guitarists to find the fastest alternate picker. It wasn't Malmsteen or Lynch. Apparently it was Neal Schon 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you want to hear truly the worst of what shred has to offer do yt searche on rusty cooley or francisco fareri and make sure you have headache tablets and a glass of water at hand......i kid you not