Boss Katana as a clean pedal platform **UPDATE**

What's Hot
kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
edited February 2018 in Amps
I’m currently using an Atomic Amplifire 12 for live use, running direct to the board and running IEM’s to hear myself. 

Its been working well and sounds great however I’m missing the interaction of an amp on stage. 

This is where the Katana might fit in for me. In the past when using amps I’ve tended to gravitate towards clean amps and used pedals for drives etc.

Does anyone use the Katana as a clean pedal platform? How does it perform, is there enough clean headroom?

I’m looking specifically at the Katana 50 Combo, as it’s a bit cheaper, a bit more compact and easier to transport.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11806
    Well the Katana has about 20 drive models built in, so if you got the 50 and put in a few patches, you might feel happy with the modelled ones?

In terms of how they work live I'd tag @p90fool because he has really put some time in making a Katana work live for him (with mixes success but I'll let him explain).
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    Cheers @darthed1981 , it's probably easier for me to link to my thread on the subject.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/116545/boss-katana-100-gig-report/p1

I have yet to try it as a clean pedal platform, one of the reasons I bought it was to get away from pedalboards in tiny pubs. I would doubt the 50 has enough clean headroom to carry the room to be honest, but as an onstage monitor it should work very well if the PA is already doing the bulk of the work.
  • p90fool said:
    Cheers @darthed1981 , it's probably easier for me to link to my thread on the subject.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/116545/boss-katana-100-gig-report/p1

I have yet to try it as a clean pedal platform, one of the reasons I bought it was to get away from pedalboards in tiny pubs. I would doubt the 50 has enough clean headroom to carry the room to be honest, but as an onstage monitor it should work very well if the PA is already doing the bulk of the work.
    Most of the gigs I do the amp would be mic’d up, so it would be there basically as my personal monitor on stage. It would just need enough clean headroom for me to hear it with a live drummer on stage.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    The built in drives sound pretty good.
  • The built in drives sound pretty good.
    Yeah I’ve listened to a lot of YouTube clips and dig the drive tones im hearing, however I own several pedals already which I’m hoping I’ll be able to utilise with the Katana, inc a Carl Martin Plexitone and a hardwire chorus and delay. It also saves me having to buy the  Katana footswitch.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    I’ve used mine live as a clean pedal platform. Sounds great. Obviously needs a tweak from the settings I’d use on a valve amp (mainly Treble and bass on the drives). Plenty loud enough in a small / medium venue. 
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Get the 100 if you want to run the Amplifire through it - you'll have tons of headroom and a great neutral power amp via the loop return. I have used mine like this with a Tech21 Leeds pedal with great results. 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • Trude said:
    Get the 100 if you want to run the Amplifire through it - you'll have tons of headroom and a great neutral power amp via the loop return. I have used mine like this with a Tech21 Leeds pedal with great results. 
    The idea is if I like the Katana to move the Amplifire on. 
  • You could also look at the Fender Champion 40. Cheap, silly lightweight and powerful pedal platform. I gig mine weekly and it keeps up with my drummer no trouble!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My Son uses a Katana 100 with BD2, DS1 and SD1 into the front of the clean/crunch channels.

Sounds good.  His last gig used a Mic and it was a very good sound.

Modulation is from the Katana via the foot pedal.

Cheers
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2329
    Get the 100. Bargain.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited February 2018

Thread Update:

So I decided I was going to hang on to the Atomic Amplifire 12 a little while longer, I felt I hadn't gave it a fair chance. The last gig I did at the beginning of February I ran it the same way as I always had, direct to mixer monitoring via IEM's. I absolutely hated the sound, felt like I was fighting the guitar all night trying to get a decent sound, didn't enjoy the gig at all. So that made my mind up to sell the AA12.

I had a bit of time to play with as the next gig was on the 2nd March. I managed to sell my AA12 on here quite quickly. So I was looking round for a valve combo (I was still not sure about the Katana) but nothing was jumping out at me. Then a Katana 50 combo came up for sale locally on a Facebook group for £100. It was a 'no brainer' so I bought it knowing I could sell it on if I didn't like it.

I absolutely love the thing. It's the perfect pedal platform. An absolute breeze to dial in (all EQ at 12oclock) on the clean setting. Peg the Master and the volume and control the overall volume with the Gain control as recommended. Works an absolute treat. In no way do I feel I'm missing out with the amp not being valve.

I loved it that much I snagged a 2nd one off here, the 2 of them together in stereo sound huge. Such an inspirational sound. I'm using them with a Blackstar HT Dual Pedal, and a Digitech Hardwire Delay and Chorus. I'm a very happy chappy with this little Stereo Rig. Can't wait to crank them up at my next gig.