Fried my HOF mini

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    Hmmm, maybe a Schottky diode in series would do it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Philtre said:
    Hmmm, maybe a Schottky diode in series would do it?
    Yes. In fact for most pedals a bog standard 1N4001 in series would be fine, a drop of 0.7V is neither here nor there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10457
    I have seen a linear unregulated  power supply almost catch fire because the DC side wire got trapped between metal staging which shorted the wires together. With no fuse in the power supply it kept pumping out current until thankfully the bridge rectifier diodes in it went OC .... by then I smelt it onstage and could see the smoke. To me putting a diode in reverse across the input is a stupid unsafe practice as you can't be sure the current source will protect it's self 
    A diode in series is definitely the way to go IMHO
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    To me putting a diode in reverse across the input is a stupid unsafe practice
    ...quietly pulls out the 1N4001 on the power rail on my breadboard project... B)

• Never understood the diode across the supply practice myself, it looks bonkers on any analysis you might do.  A 1N400X in series is far, far better!  It's something I've done on most of my pedals, certainly everything I've built, often with a capacitor afterwards giving a further boost to the PSRR.

Quite a lot of commercial PSUs give 9.7v anyway and the 0.6V drop just gets us back to the nominal supply.  Those that don't are easy enough to lift by adding a diode to the regulator.