T Rex Viper problems...

MattPMattP Frets: 252
edited January 2018 in FX
I wonder if any of you technical types might be able to help with a problem I’ve had with my T Rex Viper.

Playing it this weekend, it was behaving normally until – tweaking the depth (I think) knob to the higher end – a thump comes through the amp and the effect disappears. The pedal remained on, the level control continued to function, and the LED stayed on, although it ceased to pulse in time with the effect’s speed, instead remaining constant.

One thing to mention that will likely be relevant is the way I power it. The unit requires 12v but it’s never been happy with that. Using a 12v supply gives a weak, almost imperceptible effect, but running it at 18v works fine. I appreciate that this is a bit dangerous, but I’ve used it for over a year in this way and alls been well….

I opened the back up and everything looks ok (and there are no burnt smells) but other than that, I wouldn’t really know what I was looking for.

Any suggestions gratefully received, and if it’s fixable, a nod in the appropriate direction would be great!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    I’m completely unqualified to respond, but I wonder if the photocell blew up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom