OCD vs Tumnus

What's Hot
bassborabassbora Frets: 132
I have an OCD but I was thinking about more options and Wampler Tumnus has caught my eye.  Since I dont know much about circuits I dont know if these two pedals are similar or not.  I know that the Tumnus is a Klon clone but I have no idea where the OCD sits in all of this. Could anyone shed some light on this for me please 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum. Tumnus is very soft, low gain, edge of breakup kinda sound, up to a medium gain vintage tone.

OCD is basically a Marshall-in-a-box; much more aggressive. They'd work well together on the same board but they're not interchangeable I'd say.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 666
    edited January 2018

As @colourofsound has said above, but you'd be best checking out some youtube demo's to hear the basic differences for yourself. They should be fairly obvious once you get a listen to both of them.

The new Tumnus Deluxe has an added toggle switch to add more gain/clipping tot he circuit, which might get you closer to the OCD territory in terms of available gain, but even with the 3 band EQ, it will still sound fairly different to the OCD tone wise.

• bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    Thanks guys for your replies very much appreciate it 
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    A Klon style pedal would be a great pairing with an OCD imo. The Klon would be great for pushing the OCD for solos. As would a tubescreamer.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6837
    Isnt a klon style (tunmus) into and OCD style pedal what the Keeley D and M drive is? that seems to get good reviews - check out youtube to get a feel for what that combo could do.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Has anyone tried the new Tumnus Deluxe and are you getting that much more than true by pass and bass and mid eq?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    johnhe said:
    A Klon style pedal would be a great pairing with an OCD imo. The Klon would be great for pushing the OCD for solos. As would a tubescreamer.

I've heard a Soul Food (Klon clone) used to push an OCD this way.  Sounded great.

The Klon (and the various clones of it) push the mid range a lot more than the OCD.  A lot of overdrives do that where the OCD is much flatter in terms of EQ.  I love the OCD but it can disappear in a mix if you aren't careful.

I know a lot of people use it with the gain higher but I do like the OCD on 18V as a low gain pedal.

Does the Tumnus have a bit more low end than a lot of Klon clones?  I'd quite like to try one.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
    the answer is strymon sunset.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    johnhe said:

I've heard a Soul Food (Klon clone) used to push an OCD this way.  Sounded great.

The Klon (and the various clones of it) push the mid range a lot more than the OCD.  A lot of overdrives do that where the OCD is much flatter in terms of EQ.  I love the OCD but it can disappear in a mix if you aren't careful.

I know a lot of people use it with the gain higher but I do like the OCD on 18V as a low gain pedal.

Does the Tumnus have a bit more low end than a lot of Klon clones?  I'd quite like to try one.

The reviews I have seen usually say that the Tumnus has more bottom end than other Klon clones. Don’t know if that’s a good thing or bad. Probably depends then on the rest of the rig, amp and guitar.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    crunchman said:

I know a lot of people use it with the gain higher but I do like the OCD on 18V as a low gain pedal

Me too it’s wonderful as low gain pedal at 18v.  I’ve been toying with the idea of putting two of them into a 1590bb so I can have individual low and high gain sides.  
  • thomasw88 said:
    the answer is strymon sunset.
    Yup - I’ve been usung mine that way too, great combination. The Ge mode has completely replaced my WH Saucy Box too (Klon-type).
  • The tumnus really has an audible bass boost. I can definitely hear it on mine and for now I can live with it. It sounds great, but if I was to make the choice at this moment, I'd go with the deluxe version. The regular one sounds great and I dig what it does to the sound, just keep it in mind.