Amp hiss

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
Didn't realise until today how hissy my pedal board is. The Yerasov GTA15 amp is pin drop silent on 6-7 volume until I put the board through it.

Running the following through it:
Boss TU3 
Mooer Yellow comp
DOD Looking Glass
Magnetic Effects White Atom 
EHX Pulsar
TC Alter Ego Delay
Digitech Obscura
Boss Tera Echo
Boss RV6
Digitech Trio (sometimes)
Boss Looper

Powered by Boss daisy chain, Joyo JP-01 plus dedicated power supply to the Trio.

Like to keep most of these pedals on the board if I can keep my tone decent, but could drop one or two out for swap around if need be.  

I'm pretty sure it's the power supply, any tip where to start? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Thats a good number of pedals to run through, maybe you need a switching unit to take the effects out of the loop when not used.
    I would try each pedal separately to see if one is really bad.
    could be a bad patch cable, have you used the solderless ones?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Are you daisy chaining all that lot together? The Tera Echo and RV6 are digital so I imagine would prefer Isolated power.

is your comp always on? If so when there is no signal, it will be desperately trying to boost nothing, thereby raising the noise floor. Maybe start with removing that one.

Some pedals are just noisy. As @Modulus_Amps said, try each one

Finally not all PSUs are equal. Could be noise from the Joyo or the brick.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    edited January 2018
    Thanks, I'll test them separately as suggested.

Comp is pretty much always on. 

All the Boss pedals are run off the daisy chain which comes out the TU3. 

Using pancake patch cables with a few Fender CS patches also. 
  • I had a Trio+ and sent it back because it hissed. 
  • Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    tFB Trader
    Using analog and digital pedals together on a daisy chain will lead to noise/hiss.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    That's handy to know! Thanks @Magnetic_Effects ;;
    @mistercharlie the Trio hissed like a muddy funster until I got a dedicated supply, then all good. Same with my Echo Park. 
    Fuengi said:
    @mistercharlie the Trio hissed like a muddy funster until I got a dedicated supply, then all good. Same with my Echo Park. 
    Again a digital pedal, so requires it's own PSU or isolated output.

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Fuengi said:

interesting, I didn't know that.... always learning
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1635

Said it before. Buy a 6 AA pack from Maplins and make up a PP3 to power plug cable. You then have a totally noise and earth free supply to test things with. 

6AAs, even RockBottom cheapies will outlast many, many PP3s.

Dave.

• Fuengi said:

Its not a hard rule (I've had plenty digital pedals that were absolutely fine being daisy chained) but it can be fairly common.

It can also be power supply dependent: there are one or two digital pedals I've tried chaining off my godlyke powerall (basically a 1-spot) that had no noise problems that became noisy when I switched to a different supply.

Fuengi said:

Its not a hard rule (I've had plenty digital pedals that were absolutely fine being daisy chained) but it can be fairly common.

It can also be power supply dependent: there are one or two digital pedals I've tried chaining off my godlyke powerall (basically a 1-spot) that had no noise problems that became noisy when I switched to a different supply.

It can also be location dependent. lighting and dimmer switchers, can cause havoc. 
    Dumb question - Is there a quick way to tell if a pedal is digital or analog?
    Fuengi said:
    good question.

Not really. Though digital normally requires more power, so a higher MA requirement is likely to mean digital.

EG, TCs toneprint range, Keeley's new stuff, strymon (except the compressor) are digital.
  • Fuengi said:
    Not really but normally the manufacturer's website will tell you. 

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    edited January 2018
    Fuengi said:

Do a post entitled "I like the [insert pedal name]"

within minutes you'll have purists saying either;

1) that's because its analogue and obviously better than the digital equivalent

2) you should try the analogue equivalent instead, it sounds much better..

for an even faster reply and subsequent arguments post the same topic on the gear page.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    sgosden said:
    Fuengi said:

Do a post entitled "I like the [insert pedal name]"

within minutes you'll have purists saying either;

1) that's because its analogue and obviously better than the digital equivalent

2) you should try the analogue equivalent instead, it sounds much better..

for an even faster reply and subsequent arguments post the same topic on the gear page.

or option 3.

3) ditch it anyway and get a helix

Fuengi said:
    Not really but normally the manufacturer's website will tell you. 

Not so forthcoming. I presume the Boss RC3 is digital, can't find a reference.  

https://www.boss.info/us/products/rc-3/specifications/
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Are you using high gain? 

And does this happen even if all the pedals are off/in bypass mode?

I’ve recently found out the buffer on a Boss oc-3 is noisy, but its only really noticeable if your amp gain is up high. 

Even running just the oc-3 on its own in the chain on a battery gives me the same result. Happens in bypass when the pedals off even with all its knobs at zero.  Other than the 2 oc-3’s I’ve tried, my noise floor on high gain settings is no louder with my 5 other pedals, two of which are also boss! 

Obviously when I engage any pedal, except the Boss tuner, there is a raise in the noise floor but I presume thats just normal operation. 

Anyway its made me wonder if other boss buffers can add noise to the chain. Like I say though its only apparant at high gain.

i’d deffo try to isolate your pedals first, either power them off batteries or as many as you can on their own supplies. Atleast just daisy chaining the analogue stuff if needs be might help eliminate it. 

Also roll off your guitar volume to zero too if you havent already, so you just hear the noise floor alone through the amp and nothing else that your guitar may be picking up. Make it easier to hear that way. 

I’ve found pedals when on can amplify stuff your guitars picking up.

Worth saying though that on clean settings or a little crunch, the noise floor isnt audible, nor is a raise in noise floor apparant when I engage either a chorus or octave pedal. Obviously when engaging a drive pedal with its gain up, you’ll get normal white noise floor. 

But I’d start with power supply. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    Gain is pretty low on both drive pedals. TheYerasov amp only has a Volume and Tone control like the Fender Pro Jnr, no gain.

Just had a rewire and put all the analog pedals on on the boss daisy chain and all the digital pedals on the Joyo which helped - The Looking Glass is the noisiest one so might look to move that off the chain.

Found the Mooer Yellow really does not like being on the same supply as the EHX Pulsar, but put the Pulsar on with the digital supply (Joyo) is fine.

The Boss RC-3 Looper is noisey as hell with either supply and don't have enough dediscated supplies to put it on its own.

Looked at the Nordell Supply, migh pick one of these up.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Q8V2IH8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A38AYWK6FYFHZ7&psc=1