Millennials, baby boomers and Gen X ..

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
Made me laugh .....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    And this ..

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Posting a video without a single line of what's on it is a very millennial thing to do!

(Just kidding man.)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 342
    Fretwired said:
    Made me laugh .....

Well, it would be funny if it wasn’t so near the truth!
    I love my brick
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm gonna get professionally offended on behalf of millennials. In keeping, I have not watched any of the videos before becoming offended. 

I need a safe space now. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4350

A friend's daughter got an internship with a company. They phoned her to give her the start date / time.

Her reply...

Can I start the next day? I'm playing netball that morning with my friends.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

4reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Serious take on millennials ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27502
    Good take from Simon Sinek, as usual.

As a millennial (1984) in a corporate environment I can confirm everything he’s saying.

1) so many of my peers are entitled jerks whose are simply full of shit

b) everyone is addicted to their phones, including senior people

c) the senior-senior partners are constantly talking about engaging with millenials in the workforce (because we about half the workforce) but they have no idea what that means. All we really want is technology that is appropriate to the work we have to do and the conditions in which we have to do it, which means a fast laptop that isn’t ha,strung by insane data security policies, and a smartphone that is setup for work stuff that we don’t have to pay for. Of course us on the lower half of the ladder get neither of those...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • These millennials walk around like they bloody rent the place
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    39reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1044
    edited January 2018

In a previous employment I had a Microsoft Apprentice - on his first day it hit 15:30 - he got up and left. Day two rolled around, same deal in at 09:00, 15:30 arrives up he gets - when asked where he was going he said "I can't stay any later it will interfere with my social life".

My reply to him was if he left, not to come back the next day – he was genuinely surprised.

Working hours (09:00-17:00) were clearly explained at the interview and on the induction, yet somehow that seemed to be something that didn’t apply to him, impressive in a way.

1reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4367
    Cool.  Has anyone got any amusing stories about millenials who work their absolute bollocks off until god-knows what time, like all the ones at my place do?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

In a previous employment I had a Microsoft Apprentice - on his first day it hit 15:30 - he got up and left. Day two rolled around, same deal in at 09:00, 15:30 arrives up he gets - when asked where he was going he said "I can't stay any later it will interfere with my social life".

My reply to him was if he left, not to come back the next day – he was genuinely surprised.

Working hours (09:00-17:00) were clearly explained at the interview and on the induction, yet somehow that seemed to be something that didn’t apply to him, impressive in a way.

But on the other side of that, companies are increasingly asking staff to work way past 5pm, simply because smartphones and laptops and WiFi make that so easy, but there is little recourse for the staff member being pushed. 

(Can you tell who worked 15 hours yesterday...?!)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1044
    edited January 2018

But on the other side of that, companies are increasingly asking staff to work way past 5pm, simply because smartphones and laptops and WiFi make that so easy, but there is little recourse for the staff member being pushed. 

I totally agree with you on that, it fairly unacceptable though.

The main reason I refuse to have a company phone was the particular employer in the example above, who once you had one, thought that it entitled them to phone you at any hour.

I work in software development I know that sometimes there will be long days but I’m contracted for 40 hours not more than that, if I do a 15 hour day on Monday I make sure I don’t do a 8 hour day on Friday. My current comany is good with that, the ones I've worked for that were not I left.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

I totally agree with you on that, it fairly unacceptable though.

The main reason I refuse to have a company phone was the particular employer in the example above, who once you had one, thought that it entitled them to phone you at any hour.

I work in software development I know that sometimes there will be long days but I’m contracted for 40 hours not more than that, if I do a 15 hour day on Monday I make sure I don’t do a 8 hour day on Friday. My current comany is good with that, the ones I've worked for that were not I left.

Yeah.. my personal phone number is still on my business cards and I still have people call me ”after hours”, whenever that is. I do get some overtime provisions, but that doesn’t make a 60 hour week any more fun. Am currently in Kuwait airport, best case scenario is i’ll be home at 2am and I have a personal training session st 730 tomorrow morning... yay!

I do enjoy the work and my team are generally great, but it’s exhausting and is the kind of job that was literally impossible even 15 years ago as the technology simply didn’t exist.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randella said:
    Cool.  Has anyone got any amusing stories about millenials who work their absolute bollocks off until god-knows what time, like all the ones at my place do?
    Plenty, but I’ll keep them for me & my peers lest we upset the powers that be ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I thought a millennial was someone born around the millennium.

People I have worked with who in their mid-20s+ are absolute stars and a far smarter than I am. Most have scary levels of full-stack development skills.

Very funny vid though!
  • Y'know, the generation gap has been weighing on my mind quite a lot lately. I won't go into the whole story, but...ever heard of "failure to launch"?

Well, I'm pretty sure that's turned into an entirely new problem. 20-25yr olds - mostly girls - living at home until they absolutely explode, disavow their parents, chuck around things like "I've been mentally abused by my dad/physically beaten by my mum for 18 years..." and similar, but end up pretty much scrounging off everyone else around them.

Why do I think this? Well, it's happened to us. But not just us...of the people I directly know (and that's not many people, because I keep my circle relatively small on account of not liking people in general), the count is up to 16 families who've had this happen with their kids (as I said, mostly daughters), all around the same age. I know it's anecdotal and not a serious measure, but 16 is waaaaay more than a coincidence - it's not limited by regional geography (other than all of them being in the UK) or any other family demographic that I can see either.

The weird thing is that every single one of them has used the exact same words in their final bust-up, which came from absolutely nowhere in every case.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    edited January 2018

c) the senior-senior partners are constantly talking about engaging with millenials in the workforce (because we about half the workforce) but they have no idea what that means.
    So much this, at my old place we even had Millenials (people who were like 32/33) going on about how the business was trying really hard to cater for the needs of Millenials whilst being completely oblivious to the fact they were one "Millenials enjoy hot desking so most of our new premises is a hot desk zone"...I mean...really?!  

mellowsun said:
    I thought a millennial was someone born around the millennium.

I thought that too but it's apparently anyone born early 80's to early 2000's.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Also, just picking up on what others said, I know loads of Millenials that were great workers and quite a few that were work shy bastards as well, though to be fair to the younger ones, they knew what they wanted and wouldn't take any shit which in my workplace was seen as a major faux pas so you were in the "bad books" because you weren't a "team player" so they just called their bluff and quit, got a job somewhere else. 

I kind of envied them for that because I was always scared to move jobs when I shouldn't have been.
    Arktik83 said:

c) the senior-senior partners are constantly talking about engaging with millenials in the workforce (because we about half the workforce) but they have no idea what that means.
    So much this, at my old place we even had Millenials (people who were like 32/33) going on about how the business was trying really hard to cater for the needs of Millenials whilst being completely oblivious to the fact they were one "Millenials enjoy hot desking so most of our new premises is a hot desk zone"...I mean...really?!  
    Oh god hot desks. That thing where noone has an allocated desk but everyone who is in the office more than 2 days a week always sits in the same spot. We have that in every office in the country *except* the one I'm based in. Sadly, we're moving into one of the others in the summer, so I will lose my desk. So I'll be taking my second screen and homemade riser shelf and pictures and toy robots and installing them on a hot desk in the new place...

Good take from Simon Sinek, as usual.

As a millennial (1984) in a corporate environment I can confirm everything he’s saying.

c) the senior-senior partners are constantly talking about engaging with millenials in the workforce (because we about half the workforce) but they have no idea what that means. All we really want is technology that is appropriate to the work we have to do and the conditions in which we have to do it, which means a fast laptop that isn’t ha,strung by insane data security policies, and a smartphone that is setup for work stuff that we don’t have to pay for. Of course us on the lower half of the ladder get neither of those...
    I should add a d) to this... my peers who are not entitled jerks are among the most hardworking and talented people I know and it's genuinely painful when one gets sick of the corporate shit and leaves.
  • Good take from Simon Sinek, as usual.

I should add a d) to this... my peers who are not entitled jerks are among the most hardworking and talented people I know and it's genuinely painful when one gets sick of the corporate shit and leaves.
    It's the weird thing, really - every generation prior to the millennials has changed the workplace environment to suit themselves as they rose through the ranks. It makes sense, because that way nobody experiences a massive culture shock.

This generation, though, seem to insist that everything be arranged to suit them; or, perhaps conversely, management seem to be obsessed with the idea of re-arranging everything to suit them, leading to the new generation of workers feeling entitled to such treatment.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom