Self-build homes

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    edited January 2018
    My Plans: I currently have a 1/6th acre of land locked to my existing property (as a wood)  with 2 adjacent neighbouring properties with similar-sized plots as undeveloped gardens.

I am going to employ a land agent to come and discuss a strategy to 'unlock' my section and sell it off to a developer. All 3 plots at same time would = 1 acre in prime 'stockbroker' Surrey heartland...

I am then going to sell up and build a custom off the lorry log cabin on a wooded plot in the country somewhere, with triple glazing, heat recovery pump and underfloor heating - - installed equally in an adjacent double garage so I can fully restore my old car to concours and keep moderated.

I will also be able to entertain a small studio as part of the property and not need to spend all my summers bloody repairing and decorating.

It has only taken 38 years to get to a position to make this a  plausible reality...

Downside: I may have to give up guitar teaching!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Downside: I may have to give up guitar teaching!
    not if you've got half-decent broadband and can teach remotely
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I built my own 25 years ago and have spent 25 years looking for a suitable plot for the next one.
    My problem is that any plot that fits my needs - sensible house, bit of land, chickens, ducks, goats etc a developer can squeeze 3 nasty houses on so the asking price is silly.
    I recommend it to anyone if they can find the land. It was a while ago but the day I finished mine I had a £80k mortgage on a £120k house.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    We are part way through a big building project. Its hard, stressful, and we are using the builders to do the project management. IMO, that is the hard hard bit, and I'rather it be on someone else's shoulders. We went the doer upper route. You'll have a far easier job finding land by looking for something you can knock down and start afresh. Also, you may have utilities connected, which will be a few less things to sort.

Looked at those kit houses. There are some seriously cool ones available, and they go in fully kitted out at install.

Ours is due to finish end of March, and tbh I can't wait to be in it. Its been going on for ages and I've not far off got sick of it. Not been on site for a while as it was stressing me out, seeing the havoc and wreckage!

Most important part IMO is getting the architect right. Get that wrong, everything else starts to break. Closely followed by builders, obviously. We looked around a lot, saw who was doing the sort of stuff we liked, and who architects and building suppliers, kitchen companies etc were talking about. Architect's advice was - get this building firm, and wait for them to fit the job in. Worth the wait.