Cannot find an internal picture of a Peavey Classic 20 mini head

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    edited January 2018
    This YT video show the insides at the 11:40 mark.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited January 2018
    thanks phil, the 6505mh innards look like a box into which an alsation has barfed and i think the c20 will be more of the same. I respect what icbm says and i dont think that amp is for me. Curious about the jet citys but i am aware of them having a reputation for crap fx loops......and i  need an fx loop.

The flynn 1 x12 deluxe at £1100 looks like a gem, but doesnt have a bloody loop  p
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    thanks phil, the 6505mh innards look like a box into which an alsation has barfed and i think the c20 will be more of the same. I respect what icbm says and i dont think that amp is for me. Curious about the jet citys but i am aware of them having a reputation for crap fx loops......and i  need an fx loop.

The flynn 1 x12 deluxe at £1100 looks like a gem, but doesnt have a bloody loop  p
    Getting a loop fitted to that amp would be fairly easy and not too expensive.

https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/Kits/Misc-Kits/Kit-Seriel-FX-Loop-LND150::5973.html
  • p90fool said:
    @Telejester jet city have a vintage voiced 20 watter that will be well built and very affordable. Try one of those?

https://m.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca20hv.htm
    Exactly, despite being made in China they're well built and simple to fix. There's a whole aftermarket industry of mods too, and a worldwide network of people who can walk you through almost any repair. 

I'm now on Jet City amp number six, they've all been excellent and I still have three of them. 

Like you, I wanted to know what was inside them at that price so I ordered the cheapest 20w head a few years ago, checked it worked, then pulled it apart ten minutes after it arrived. 

I've been hooked ever since, occasionally fine tuning preamp cap and resistor values to my own preferences. Simple, robust and cheap, just like Fender were in the 50s.  
    Are jet city not known for fx loops which are unusable ?  I know henning pauly had plenty to say about the loop on the ame!ia.

Some for sure - not sure about that one specifically though. Might be okay? 

Also, are you not after something to run clean? In which case, do you need an fx loop at all? 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31919
    All of the 20w Jet City amps with FX loops (JCA 20HV, 22H and Custom 22) have conventional pedal level loops. 

It's only the bigger 50 and 100w amps which have line level loops. They are often described as "crap", when in fact they work really well, but they were designed by Soldano to work with pro level rack gear on big stages, but will overload the input of a lot of pedals because they run so hot. 

I use a level corrector with mine, but as you're looking at 20w amps it's a non-issue anyway. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    p90fool said:
    All of the 20w Jet City amps with FX loops (JCA 20HV, 22H and Custom 22) have conventional pedal level loops. 

It's only the bigger 50 and 100w amps which have line level loops. They are often described as "crap", when in fact they work really well, but they were designed by Soldano to work with pro level rack gear on big stages, but will overload the input of a lot of pedals because they run so hot.
    That's not the only problem, it's also that they're too early in the circuit to properly put the effects after the amp's distortion. The SLO is the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    p90fool said:

That's not the only problem, it's also that they're too early in the circuit to properly put the effects after the amp's distortion. The SLO is the same.
    Not sure that's true of the Crunch channel, maybe just the overdrive channel. 

It certainly didn't sound like a problem on mine anyway, even with the channel gain flat out. 
    And again, it's a non issue on the 20w amps anyway. 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    p90fool said:

I use a level corrector with mine, but as you're looking at 20w amps it's a non-issue anyway. 
    Mike Soldano was on the last tone talk with Dave Friedman and the loop in the SLO was discussed and he said exactly this, that it was designed for line level pro gear, but there was no call for this these days as 99% of his players were using pedal level effects so it was likely the SLO effects loop would be updated when they up issue it.