Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New strings?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Have tried the latest Elixirs and did not like the feel. I am trying EB Msteel and quite like them. Also love Dad exl Balanced Tension
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    edited January 2018
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    i use ernie balls,  i refuse to buy any strings that arnt individualy packaged in seperate envelopes. I hate it when they intertwine them altogether, i think dadarrio do this nonsense
    They do 2 strings per envelope.

Why do you prefer them separate, out of interest?
    i prefer them seperate, no chance of tangling them up or getting confused. Im a simple soul.
    D'addario colour code the ball ends so you can't mix them up
    With normal string changing at home, it's no problem. But at rehearsal or a gig if I need to change a broken string the last thing I want, especially in a dimly lit environment, is to faff around untangling strings or squinting to see the colour.  So, although I use D'addario EXL120's and do full string changes with these, I always take a set of Ernie ball Super Slinky's (or similar) to rehearsals and gigs, with individual clearly marked packets in big letters that I can grab easily.  Only exception is if its a .009 E as I have some D'Addario spares of just those in individual packets. 

Out of interest, I asked D'Addario why they do this '2-string' packaging - and was told it was for quality control as it avoids the possibility of mis-packaging the wrong string and/or missing strings in a new set. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3097
    +Elixirs. I love them, shall probably stick with them from now on
  • Snake oil. EB power slinky's all the way
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    After happily using Elixir Optiwebs for years on my electrics and acoustics I gave their Nanowebs a try a few months ago.

I hated them and have switched back to Optiweb.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4691
    on the cheaper end of strings i have been using the Harley Benton strings, cheap and cheerful and i actually quite like them
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    If you play clean, Elixirs sound dull and lifeless. If you play with massive synthetic gain then you aint going to notice and you're going like them lasting longer.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1082
    lonestar said:
    I play Ernie balls 10s or 11s. Anything that “lasts longer” for triple the price means that it’s longer before I’m also cleaning the fret board to stop fret wear.... I’d rather change my strings every 4-6 weeks and maintain the frets tbh. Btw I don’t gig otherwise I’d be changing them a lot more.
    @lonestar I'm ignorant about this.... why does cleaning the fretboard stop fretwear? 

I play a lot daily and live somewhere I can't get fretwork done. I use elixirs due to sea air... anything else just dies!

My bravewood came with 6105 wire land I have obliterated it in a couple of years.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    @mburekenge dirt from your fingers ends up on the strings which in turn can act as an abrasive on the frets. I prefer to keep my frets clean so I like to change strings regularly even though I’m not gigging 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    lonestar said:
    @mburekenge dirt from your fingers ends up on the strings which in turn can act as an abrasive on the frets.
    It's even worse than that - dirty frets corrode, and then the strings scrape off the (soft) corrosion, then the new exposed metal corrodes again and so on. If you keep them clean it's metal on metal which doesn't wear them away as fast.

If you're near the sea the corrosion rate is probably increased anyway, which won't help.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    lonestar said:
    @mburekenge dirt from your fingers ends up on the strings which in turn can act as an abrasive on the frets.
    It's even worse than that - dirty frets corrode, and then the strings scrape off the (soft) corrosion, then the new exposed metal corrodes again and so on. If you keep them clean it's metal on metal which doesn't wear them away as fast.

If you're near the sea the corrosion rate is probably increased anyway, which won't help.
    You guys should really consider washing your hands once in a while. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    ICBM said:
    lonestar said:

Maybe you should think about why we know that :).

My own strings - never coated - last a couple of years ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    ICBM said:
    I absolutely hate Elixirs - the sound and the feel. Don't buy a bulk pack until you're sure you don't too...

The best for me are DRs, Newtones and for standard ones you can buy anywhere, plain old D'Addarios XLs.
    Agree totally ... I'm a D'Addario fan .. you can bulk buy them cheaply. And how long does it take to restring a guitar? I can do my Strat in around 5 minutes. It's hardly rocket science .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1082
    ICBM said:
    lonestar said:

No way! Lose my calluses. I go Clapton stylee... surgical spirit.