Peter Jackson WW1 film with a difference

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
edited January 2018 in Off Topic
For the centenary of WW1 Peter Jackson has been making a film with real footage that's been digitally processed - looks amazing - with commentary and interviews by guys who were there.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I heard a short piece about this on the radio this morning, then had a mad busy day and forgot about it, so thanks for reminding me. Looks amazingly clear. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1972
    Astonishing what they’ve achieved there. Pretty sure that they used Peter Jacksons special effects company to do the processing. Back in the 80’s his skills were a little more rudimentary.

https://youtu.be/IAOgZqZfXjY
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    I find it slightly sad that it’s implied that the younger generation aren’t interested in this stuff unless it’s polished up and “colourised”.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    SimonC said:
    I find it slightly sad that it’s implied that the younger generation aren’t interested in this stuff unless it’s polished up and “colourised”.
    Sorry, where is it implied? I simply thought the Imperial War Museum wanted to improve dark grainy footage. I think it could be an amazing film.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    edited January 2018
    Fretwired said:
    SimonC said:
    Sorry, where is it implied? I simply thought the Imperial War Museum wanted to improve dark grainy footage. I think it could be an amazing film.
    It’s implied In the clip. The woman from the imperial war museum said that the footage is often dismissed by audiences because it’s black and white, and had to be colourised to engage young people.

Thats the bit I found sad. I’m sure the film will indeed be a spectacle.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1549
    As a slight aside, Peter Jackson is behind one of the best (most accurate, crisply molded etc) range of injection molded WW1 aircraft kits, Wingnut Wings.
    So his interest in WW1 is not just related to films.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Kalimna said:
    As a slight aside, Peter Jackson is behind one of the best (most accurate, crisply molded etc) range of injection molded WW1 aircraft kits, Wingnut Wings.
    So his interest in WW1 is not just related to films.
    I'm surprised this was mentioned and not the fact that Peter Jackson owns about 40 fully working WW1 fighter planes, part of a huge collection of aircraft (his mate collects WW2 era fighter planes) at a museum in New Zealand.

SimonC said:
    Fretwired said:
    SimonC said:
    It’s implied In the clip. The woman from the imperial war museum said that the footage is often dismissed by audiences because it’s black and white, and had to be colourised to engage young people.

She was referring to photographs and that's largely been done and they look amazing. Jackson is sticking to black and white.

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2606
    tFB Trader
    amazing, look forward to this. thanks for sharing
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    We were just talking about this at work this morning. The results look superb. Fascinating
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    Fretwired said:
    SimonC said:
    Fretwired said:
    SimonC said:

She was referring to photographs and that's largely been done and they look amazing. Jackson is sticking to black and white.
    I was under the impression that Jackson was colourizing all the footage?...reality is young people are not attracted top B&W / books etc...show them in a format they want and you will get a better reaction. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    Fretwired said:
    SimonC said:
    Fretwired said:
    SimonC said:

I was under the impression that Jackson was colourizing all the footage?...reality is young people are not attracted top B&W / books etc...show them in a format they want and you will get a better reaction. 
    I've not seen any colour footage film wise and the news says the film will remain black and white. There was an amazing exhibition with colourised WW1 photos. Brings the images to life. I can't see why we can't use technology to get closer to history and the real people.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:

I've not seen any colour footage film wise and the news says the film will remain black and white. There was an amazing exhibition with colourised WW1 photos. Brings the images to life. I can't see why we can't use technology to get closer to history and the real people.

Abolutely! It would encourage the younger audience - which I think is the main thing. 
    Pictures are spectacular - thanks for posting that @Fretwired - I haven't heard about that project until today.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    incredible...
    I was surprised at how much difference it made when the footage was slowed down to normal speeds
    play every note as if it were your first
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Clarky said:
    incredible...
    I was surprised at how much difference it made when the footage was slowed down to normal speeds
    Me too - and I'm all for colourization. Remember, black and white film or photos are synthetic. They are neither authentic nor organic. Some people confuse the history of photography with the photography of history...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I find black & white conveys the grimness of war better than colour.
    You don't want it to look too glamorous otherwise we'd all want to go to war.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7867
    Chalky said:
    Clarky said:
    incredible...
    Me too - and I'm all for colourization. Remember, black and white film or photos are synthetic. They are neither authentic nor organic. Some people confuse the history of photography with the photography of history...
    Brilliant observation. Wisd
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    edited January 2018
    If anyone is at all interested in WW1, check out 'Great War Channel' on youtube. Indy Neidell does weekly videos on the war in real time along with Q&A videos, specials, etc. He covers every nation without bias and collaborates with other channels to go into as much detail as possible without it being dull (there are a ton of videos that go into the weapons used by different nations, a few done at the tank museum, etc, etc).

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar